Reviews for Ships That Pass In the Night
Umeko chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
I like the little world you have created where both great mariners real and fictional hang out on shore leave. Ha, I can't blame the rest for wondering what having both Jones and Sparrow in the same vicinity and confined space will result in.
Muirgheal-of-Lantern-Waste chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Ah, another well done fanfic. Nice Hornblower reference too!
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
Well written! But I think Will was released after ten years so long as Elizabeth stayed faithful to him. (she did)
Meteoricshipyards chapter 1 . 9/16/2011
Interesting, bitter sweet, and fun to read.

Thanks. Enjoyed it a lot. Except for Nemo. They should have had a grander instrument for him to play.

Tom A.
AliusNeo chapter 1 . 6/14/2011
"Ai, Elbereth! Whom did you run afoul of? Morgoth himself?"

"Worse - studio executives."

Lol that had me laughing. This was a good story; I had never really thought of the story of Will Turner being anything like that of Elronds father, but you did a good job with their dialogue. Maybe we could see Jack have a talk someone; I'd read that. Keep it up
Roma Eterna chapter 1 . 4/18/2011
Very well written. A good short story.
Hamfast Gamgee chapter 1 . 1/30/2011
I was half-way through reviewing this so I thought I would finish. Nice idea having all of these captains meet in a Tavern both ficional and real ones! I liked your rather bitter Will Turner, I expect he would have been able to realate to Earendil. Strangely enough, that was one of the things I did like about the last Pirate of the Caribbean film that it had a rather unconventional ending. Just a shame about large parts of the rest of it. I'm not sure how well Nelson or Hornblower would have gotten on with all of those pirates considering their own attitude to piracy was similair to that of Beckett's. Perhaps you could have one of them thinking, 'Pirate scum!' or something like that. Must have been hard work thinking up every ship captain in fiction and history in one tale. Still, good story overall.
Virtuella chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
What a very original idea it is to get all those legendary sailors together in an imaginary tavern! I liked the details, like Jason paying with a bit of golden wool. The way the scene is set, parodizing the proverbial dark and stormy night, is also very well done.

And, ah, yes, those two really had to meet. Their fate is so similar and yet different. Nice philosophical debate about the rewards of doing good. An amusing and yet thought-provoking story.
Crimson Cupcake chapter 1 . 12/15/2010
Earendil! OH! I GET IT! Cuz he's a mariner and they're sailors (read: pirates) and- OHHH! Yeah, I'm such an idiot xD I thought it was Legolas at first, til he started talking about his troubles xD But then it just kind of came together. I really like how Will questions nothing about Orcs, Elbereths or Morgoths (does he know about them?). I also love how Earendil greets with 'well met' 8DD Sorry. I'm weird.
Olorime chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
What a wonderful CROSSOVER!

I really enjoyed the subtle humor and the melancholy tinge to the old sea dogs. I love sea, seafaring, sailors and anything to do with the sea, so this story stroked all the right places. You have highhandedly proved to me that to be prejudiced against crossovers is very wrong indeed. :)

Great story!
Glimmerous chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Once I saw the little Jason and his golden fleece part...I knew I was gonna like this story. *is a Greek mythology nerd*

"Worse...studio executives." Haha! That was my favorite line. Poor Will!

I always wondered if I was the only one who had read "The Silmarillion". But I suppose I'm not! : D
Rhyselle chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
This is such a cool story! :)

I'm currently writing a series of Earendil ficlets, so it was great to see him in this tale. Poor Will... Earendil is right. No good deed goes unpunished in those ficverses.

The atmosphere of the pub was great, and I loved the role call of the ship masters from many of my very most favorite books. Just too bad that Jack Aubrey wasn't there. *grin*

I could just "hear" Will's gentle confusion when he comes into the bar. You have an excellent ear for his "voice" as he was in the films. Well done!

You did good with this one!
GluttonousAnorexiaNervosa chapter 1 . 8/3/2009
I think it is very well wrote, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I am glad you did a Tolkien work, and not have be the standard Lord of the Rings or Hobbit. Kudos in doing something different!
HaloFin17 chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
Hey, this was terribly clever! Crossovers are fun, especially when you can mix and match a little bit of everything like you did here. I loved all the different characters at the beginning - so amusing!

At first I thought we might be seeing dear old Maglor as the Silm character, but Earendil truly is a perfect fit.

All in all, this was an incredibly cute idea, and I'm glad you posted it!

Halo
Clodia chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
I love the opening paragraph, delightful exploitation of that very famous opening line. And a pub for weary seafarers in an imaginary town! that is a nice idea. Good collection of famous seafarers too. I like Will's punchline (worse... I won't spoil it); that is a cynic's view! Their conversation is perfect, concise but allusive, and the brevity of the ending winds it up very well, ships passing in the night.

Thank you!