Reviews for In This Life
gginsc chapter 2 . 7/2/2011
Way to go! I love it! The old Spock should leave them alone.
Product Of A Sick Society chapter 2 . 1/17/2010
Only love for this. It was sweet, and I feel bad for old Spock, but he CAN be a manipulative jerk sometimes. Nyota's insecurity was a nice touch (how WOULD one react to hearing, apparently, the love of their life from the future basically give a 'Yea- no, I don't even LIKE you. m'kaythxbye' ... Because Spock would totally be all over that phrase. XP! - please note the sarcasm XD ), I was expecting it to be solely about Spock, so I liked the way that led into the end. And now I'm curious about old Spock's and Nyota's conversation.

I gotta go see if you have an "In Progress" fic about their (Spock/Nyota's) relationship now.

Only one thing: T'hy'la means 'Friend, Brother, Lover.' A relationship specific to two males. It drives me insane seeing it butchered in all these Nu!trek fics (I should probably just stick to the TOS forum instead of unintentionally offending people with Canon trivia. But hey, I'm obstinate like that, and it's something to do). I know there's a male/female equivalent somewhere out there, but only a few have bothered to find it, which is just disappointing when it's so widespread.

And, this is just my curiosity speaking, but I would've loved to see more of Uhura's thoughts in this. It obviously affected her a lot, and I felt a little like I was 'left hanging' not being allowed to see the lead-up to it, know what I mean?

Spock was awesome, though. It was great how you found that balance between collected/logical and his humanity. It would be just like him to bluntly state 'I love you' after realizing she hadn't figured it out on her own, and it was kinda cute, in an skewed kinda way.

...

And I totally didn't mean to turn this into an analysis essay here, but I don't review much unless something catches my attention (and looks like the person won't have a break down from a bit of constructive critiquing). So... It usually turns into word vomit within the first two sentences.

... Hope you found some of this helpful, amusing... or attention diverting (at the very least).
Nyotarules chapter 2 . 10/14/2009
I find a TOSK/TOSSpock couple more believable than a nuK/nuS setup so I feel sorry for Spock Prime. However he was trying to be manipulative, glad nuSpock put him in his place and was able to calm Uhura's fears that she was being used. The new verse is so different from the TOS verse that effects the choices people make. TOS S/U met on the Enterprise in a world where TOS Spock was engaged and more Vulcan than human. Nu Spock meets her in school and he seems more accepting of his humanity and with his mother's death probably more so.

The whole setup is a therapist's goldmine
Oberon7 chapter 2 . 7/19/2009
Well, you've done it again! :D

That chapter was amazing, from start to finish. I loved their ability to be vulnerable together, on so many levels. It's difficult to find a good romance...one with 3-d depth, intelligence and angst, and this chapter delivers on all counts.

I loved Spock's willingness to let Uhura in-the complete comfort he felt in doing so. Most people would choose themselves and avoid embarrassment if possible instead of choosing to give the person they love what they need.

This chapter was logical, romantic, and entertaining, and my hat is off to you for making it work on so many levels. As you can see, I could wax poetic about this story all night, but please know that you capture the very heart of this couple with true talent.

Thanks for taking the time to fulfill my little request! You've made me a happy customer, and if you have any other stories about my fav couple, I'd love to read them! :)

Again, thank you so much for the dedication!

Sincerely,

-Oberon7 (waiting with fingers and toes crossed for the next story) :D
sadhappygirl chapter 2 . 7/15/2009
Spock Prime (aka Ambassador Sylar love it) really was pushing it...

I guess by telling Nyota about him and Kirk will put doubts in her mind which it did...

Spock Prime fail to understand that in this life Spock LOVES Nyota not Kirk...
TeaOli chapter 2 . 7/15/2009
Well done!

I've never been a fan of K/S slash because I subscribe to the notion that a soulmate can as easily be a friend as the "love of one's life." I always thought that not enough folks out there were willing to explore the idea.

(That, and because I used to go to sleep clutching my brother's Spock piggy bank, dreaming that I was TOS Uhura. And maybe because the only convincing slash I've read over the years was Kirk/McCoy. Don't ask!)

Still, I found myself, for the first time ever, hurting for Kirk-less Spock. No one ever convinced me before now. I guess just I never read fic using the right balance of logic and love, before.

Yay for giving both camps what they wanted and for opening my mind!
mdfang chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
Okay, good story so far. However, what would happen if 2009 Spock mindmelds with 2009 Kirk? Would there be anything?
AtanaM chapter 2 . 7/15/2009
No Criticism... only love. That was lovely.

Kirk said when Spock Prime came back in time he changed all thier lives... it would make since it would change his own too (although I'm sorry Kirk/Spock slash was never cannon. Not in TOS, not in the movies and not now. People like it for some reason.. but it was never Cannon). You were respectful to all characters involved and this was very well written.

Thank you.
MiVarFan93 chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
long live spock/uhura!
sadhappygirl chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
I guess Spock Prime forgotten that it was he who told his younger self to do what feels right...

Spock has choosen Uhura...

nuf said...
Oberon7 chapter 1 . 7/6/2009
A much as I love the "bromance" between Kirk and Spock, I've never been on the slash bandwagon, so I have 1 word for you regarding this story:

Amen! :)

Long live S & N!

-Oberon7

P.S. A little epilogue with Spock and his soul mate Nyota would be much appreciated, lol.
carsonsgirl chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
Very well-written. I thought Spock was kind, understanding, and respectful of Spock Prime's feelings and empathetic of his grief, but he also did take Spock Prime's advice to do what feels right, logical or not, which was to be with the mate HE chose. Spock also managed to see a consolation for his elder self in that he could see Kirk (if not Kirk Prime) alive again. Really love this Spock - what an amazing man. Well done! :)
wandamarie chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
EmilyWoods chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
Darn Right, Uhura is his t’hy’la in this life.

I was gald that Spock did not let the sad memories of an old man affect him when he has the one person in his life who completely accepts him for who he is with unconditional love-similar to the love he got from his mother. He needs this to be all he can be :)

Spock Prime needs to understand that the new Jim is not the old Jim because of the USS Kelvin incident; and that the new Spock is not like him because met the love of his life at StarFleet Academy way before the Enterprise.

Move on Spock Prime-but if he can't-maybe he should make a play for the new Jim himself since he misses his t’hy’la so much :) I mean as a Vulcan he has at least another 50 years to make it happen.

I am very glad however that Spock has decided to make his own destiny by doing what feels right for him despite inteference from Sarek and Spock Prime.

May Spock and Nyota Live Long and Prosper!
teaberryva chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
Very good. This is something that I had been thinking in regard to the re-launch: the original Spock bonded with Kirk as his first strong human contact but that isn't true in this timeline and therefore the need for their friendship is not as great. This Spock has Uhura who has accepted him and presumably is helping him "get in touch with his human side" so to speak, which was the role the Kirk Prime played for the original Spock. Much was made of the point that "our destinies have changed;" it would be illogical to assume that this Kirk and Spock have to have a relationship that mirrors the original.

Well done.