Reviews for Break My Strings
Munku-JGSPTV chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
Oooh I normally don't read the angsty but this was good! My favourite bit was the 'he's not Cupid but he's pierced me' lines. Sounds like a song! I likes the subtext you added to one my of fav episodes!
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
Wow, that was really brilliant! Awesome story! I loved it!
Mello's Guapo chapter 1 . 10/20/2010
Oh my good lord.

I absolutely loved this.

Your words flow together so well.

I love writing but damn. xD I don't think I could be as good as this. :)
Sweet Ginger Snap chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
This story is so COOL. I feel like it is a poem. The emotions are solid and the imagery palpable. I feel like time is passing in slow-motion. All the tiny details are picked out, but they're never tiresome or pointless. They're alive and gripping.
stundenglas chapter 1 . 11/11/2009
So beautiful. I feel like crying. Your style is gorgeous!
BlueSpottedDog chapter 1 . 8/2/2009
Oh Arthur!

Great story! Loved it! I actually cried when Will died, imagine if Merlin had died, I would've been bawling lol!
Tetsubinatu chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
Oh! Nice reading between the lines.

It was especially good to read because I thought my heart was breaking when Arthur was so judgemental in that episode, after Merlin getting his hopes up. I'm Australian too, so I'm up to the same point you are in the series. LOVED the last episode - didn't those moments at the table make your toes curl? Whew!
AngelEyes87 chapter 1 . 7/13/2009
Okay, so I've never read a Merlin fic before nor neither have I watched the show before, this is all new to me (lol) but I have to say you done a fantastic job on writing this fic. Hehe, don't tell me you're gonna try get me into Merlin like you did with Tekken and a few other things as well ;-) Besides, I have heard of the show Merlin and never got around to watching it. It's quite a famous show back here in the UK. The Moment of Truth, huh? What was it like? xD

Still the characters were very well portrayed. I imagine Arthur as this young inexperienced prince/king and he's just now learning how to rule Camelot so he can be a successor to the throne when his father dies. And I also imagine Merlin as this wise sage that believes in Arthur can do well in ruling the kingdom so he kinda acts like a mentor to him if that makes sense. It's strange cos there's many differing opinions on Merlin himself as some said that he was a mad-man who was locked away in the forests as he was blessed with supernatural powers, and he predicted the world will end in such a time, lol :P But I don't know, all I can say about Merlin was that he was a mythological figure in British folklore.

Actaully why was Will being subjected to death? I know he had magical powers, but did Merlin feel threatened by him in any way? I feel sorry for Arthur for having to see that savage death - a burning corpse would smell bad...'Sometimes I wanted to shut myself out from the world and pretend – or more rather, insist – that it revolves around me, and that only I matter, Arthur, the Prince of Camelot. As stupid as it is, I’d like nothing more than to do that right now, because to see the sorry sod next to me is tearing at me; and its only here that I realise exactly how weak I feel, and it’s because of my concern for him, my lowly – and worst – manservant.' - quite a good line there. As he is heir to the throne, he would try to put himself first as a leader to his people and try to be strong and everything like that, but without Merlin he feels weak and almost helpless in such a way. It's funny how Arthur refers to him as being his lowly manservent. Yeah, I suppose it is Merlin's duty to serve the young prince due to their different status quos, but in his heart Merlin means a lot to him therefore he depends and relies on him. It's like I think society at that time would frown upon that sort of friendship I would say...don't ask me why, but I have a feeling.

'He is like an archer. He’s not Cupid, because he can’t aim, nor can he pull the string of the bow back to a decent level to actually release the arrow in question with accuracy… But he has pierced me, and for the first time in a long time, the weakness is made real, like I’m a five-year-old again, silently afraid of the future to come. And it isn’t soft. His scrawny, stick arms have hidden strength in them, because he’s pulling this… bow – me – back too hard and far, and he’ll break the string. He’ll break me.' - Interesting comparsion/analogy there, Raze xD Arthur is kinda like a besotted teenager when it comes to Merlin, that's what I assume. It's like his heart has already been pierced by some unknown force and it portrays the image of Arthur being the bow and arrow while Merlin is the archer (even though he is unsuccessful, lol!) It reminds me of the fact they might have this complex, untold relationship - Merlin can either make or break Arthur in a way. It's like Merlin can either use him to his advantages or disadvantages. But besides all this, there is some sort of attachment between the two men, but I think it's only one sided. They do have a strong bong between them I can see, but there's something more there than meets the eye.
AmberAnodyne chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
Wow... I do believe this ranks quite highly up as one of your best works to date.

I can't really say much about the character relationships, not knowing the dynamic of the show, but here it seems like there is a very powerful bond between the two. Or perhaps an unrequited one on Arthur's side (Even I picked up on the slashyness! Woo! XD).

The language is beautiful and you've brought out that wonderful flow that makes your work so easy and enthralling to read. I really enjoyed reading this, even though I'm not exactly a part of the fandom.

Wonderful job. :)
MagicByMerlin chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
My favourite lines are...

because we all know that he doesn’t deserve these things that happen to him.

but the words that crawl out of me still sound so stiff and monotonous and detached and...cold

It takes all I have to keep my hand away from his shoulder, not because he needs it there, but because maybe, in some strange way, I need it there

a soldier crippled by the weight of his heart, but still standing tall.

I am weak, because of my concern – because I care for him, even if he has broken my strings, and I’ve been left – I am voiceless.

And that terrifies me.

That was literately fantastic. I can't believe you wrote such an amazing piece for such a short bit of film! I'm wondering if you'll do some more like it...perhaps from merlin's POV? :)

*wishes she could write so well*

PS: Your punctuation was good, too! :D
Cloud boxers and Seph cookies chapter 1 . 7/9/2009
Ditto what anonymous down there said.

C'mon, give this fic a couple more hours and you'll have plenty more reviews repeating the same thing. XDD

But I will leave you with a note we both agree upon.

Arthur rox and you wrote him god. B
shootingstarsonmars chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
great story:)
kinosternon chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
Wow. Arthur being poetic. You wouldn't think it would fit, but it actually works really well. It's great to see that scene from Arthur's perspective, it really adds a new twist to the scene. Nice job.
anonymous chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
Really really well written. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with this. It's amazingly gripping, and captures the character of Arthur well.
The-potato-knows-Merlin chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
This is such a heart-wrenching moment in the Merlin series and I am glad that someone has attempted (and succeeded) to reinact that funeral based in Arthur's thoughts.

Brilliant tension and this really shows the unconditional friendship that Merlin and Arthur have. Unconditional within reason really, only one condition of Sourcery. But over time I suppose that Arthur will not judge Merlin when he comes out to him.

Truly brilliant writing.