Reviews for The Modern Adventures of Pinocchio
Guest chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
rye.bread again chapter 1 . 2/27/2010
I HASTEN TO ADD-like Rain Crow said-the part about the “one of those fancy things used to cover large platters in quaint old-world style houses”-it works! It is integral to the story! Don’t even THINK of changing it!
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 2/27/2010
Charming. Endearing. Sweet. This is parody at its best. This is seamless transfer from one setting to another. This is inspired

Such gracious faultless courtesy. The modern world sure could use a generous helping of that quality.

It’s like the same fantastic imagery as L. Frank Baum-or Lewis Carroll-significant as they all lived in the same era and wrote in the same genre. It’s like the imagery of Dante’s “Divine Comedy”-significant as the two stories are of the same geographic origin.

The poor school staff. That was like a scene out of Abbot and Costello’s “Who’s On First?”

I even detect a hint of Baron Munchhausen. Doubtless there are many other story arcs and threads one could cite.

The Disney movie is classic in its own way. It is a benchmark. But this-I don’t know if it would survive the transfer to film. I remember Roberto Benigni tried his hand at a version

There are a few movies, off the top of my head that have a touch of the wonderful fairytale quality this story portrays-Laurel and Hardy’s Babes In Toyland-and the two pig movies, Babe, and Babe, Pig In The City.

And about Tiffany Markoff-she would be singularly fortunate if she chanced to discover Collodi-or Beatrix Potter-or Hans Christian Anderson-or J.M. Barrie-you get where I’m going-and she utterly renounced the Valley Girl persona and became a Dorothy Gale or Lucy Pevensie wannabe

So should Scully and Muldar, for that matter.
Rain Crow chapter 1 . 7/16/2009
Very, very funny. You blended the characters from the story of Pinocchio into a modern setting in the only way that it could be done... which is to say that they did not blend in at all. Every reaction to the puppet and his family was well paced, and each one drew a laugh from me.

Your inclusion of the X-Files duo made me think of "Home is Where You Hang Upside Down", and once again you make the most of the comedic potential that is always there when Mulder and Scully are on the stage.

I really liked the way you ended it, with Pinocchio's seemingly bizarre family grateful, " return to a place inhabited by normal people..." who are, presumably, polite and gracious, and to leave the narcissistic, cowardly public servants of New York behind.

As always, your command of the language and your frequent tongue in cheek dialog, are second to none. My only real criticism is that you apologized for not knowing a word, in text, when I wouldn't have known had you not told me. To tell the truth your description of the object, "...a huge steaming platter covered by once of those fancy things used to cover large platters in quaint old-world style houses" was very funny because I assumed that that was what Scully was describing it as to herself.

However, that was about it. I very much enjoyed reading this tale. Thanks for writing it and for sharing.
The J.A.M. a.k.a. Numbuh i chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
Heh, interesting twists in this story. Clearly, Pinnochio would not survive in the US today :D
JAKT chapter 1 . 7/6/2009
Old School meets New school. What a most unusual and enduring way (no pun intended to your name) to present this story. You bring to life a unique world that is gone forever when it attempts to integrate into the modern world. This story feeds into the reader’s imagination with a spark and flow that one can associate with. It also adds a dash of humor; wit and wisdom propelling and making this tale come to life all on its own.

At times provocatively irreverent, always honest and insightful, you chronicle the ordinary absurdities of life while addressing the bigger questions. Is there a way to balance innocence and obligation? How do we know we're living the lives we're meant to live? How do we know we're happy? We love how you paint this tale with an intriguing blend of fact and fantasy, as the lives of these people intertwine demonstrating the differences and realities along the way.

This is indeed a fascinating, sometimes frightening, exploration of two colliding views of the world past and present. Can the past ever be reconciled with the present? Well that is another adventure in and of itself. For now we have to reap the satisfaction that certain people may be beamed up to an all too different reality in order to find the peace they seek.

Stop being so philosophical in this review and tell it like it is! I loved this story!

Okay, dear darling daughter.

Endearing Man-Child, let’s just say that I enjoyed this story and kt loved it. We look forward to more of your works.

ja and kt…jakt