Reviews for The Letter
Khanlock Holmes chapter 5 . 10/26/2012
This is fantastic! Honestly hope you'll get around to updating. :)
BlueDiamondStar chapter 5 . 4/1/2012
Good story. Never knew nor ever seen the show (though now I'm really wanting to see it).

I really expected Nick will use the gun or something. This outcome was unexpected.
Anna chapter 5 . 9/29/2010
This story is awesome! It's my first guardian fic (saw it featured as a fav by someone and couldn't go past it, once I read the summary!) This was really missed in the episode. And I love how you discribed their progress in chapter 5. The show really could have learned from you! Please update soon!
MK chapter 5 . 5/16/2010
I found and read your story today, after finally finishing up the shows online. I like this take on how things were between Nick and Lulu, and I hope you keep writing.
lgmtreader chapter 5 . 2/8/2010
Again, as noted, most of what I know of these characters is from the very few eps from the first season that I've seen so far (soon to be remedied as my S1 DVDs are on the way!), what other people have said here in comments, and what you've told me so that I can beta...

I think this makes a great postscript to the main 4 chapter story set several months earlier when Nick was so despondent in your story. He's really gotten himself back together. I'm happy for him, and happy for his daughter. Any baby, but especially one with special needs, is going to need both her parents in her life, even when they are not together, maybe especially so. I love the Nick that you portray in this chapter; giving Lulu her space, being a wonderful father. As a mom of a kid with Down syndrome, I was encouraged even from that one ep (the one with Blair Williamson, where they found out and struggled with the prenatal diagnosis, and at the end were continuing the pregnancy) that they would go forward with good attitudes toward dealing with the extra issues stemming from Down syndrome. I'm glad you carried that forward past the baby's birth (which, IIRC from you, was the very last aired episode). I'm also happy to see how Burton is dealing with the baby [esp. given that his generation has a lot less experience dealing with Down syndrome]; I loved the phrase "her beautiful sweet baby" that you have Lulu introspectively use to describe Anne - because they *are* beautiful, and wonderful, and loving; and Lulu and Nick will have a richer experience parenting having accepted it and moving forward in a positive way.

I don't know enough myself about Lulu to know whether I hope she and Nick would finally get together, or whether it would be best if they cold just continue in this fashion, being good and cooperative co-parents without more of a personal relationship. I hope someone out there will pick up more on this idea and write stories for further out in the future; always, of course, handling the issues of Down syndrome with sensitivity and honesty and positivity, as you have.

I can't remember whether you intended this to be the final installment; it could stand alone, or you could go on, you certainly left an opening for the latter possibility. I would encourage you to do so if you have a good story to tell that continues from this point.

(To anyone so inclined who happens to actually read this, I will volunteer to read anyone's story that has to do with DS, if you want to get details straight about that part of it...)
lgmtreader chapter 4 . 1/22/2010
Well, at least Lulu is worried about him. I know so little about her except what you've said in this fic and in PMs, and what others imply in the reviews.

Since I'm not sure Alvin was really leaving the pamphlets for (again, did he expect the others to show up, specifically Lulu?) I'm not sure why Lulu would assume they were left for her, or even why either she or Burton would take them rather than assume they might have been left for Nick... but again, maybe Burton felt a need to understand better where Nick was apparently at (keeping in mind, again, I don't know what he's been going through in the series wrt his drug and alcohol usage up to the point where you started this fic).

I am assuming this all takes place before they find out about the DS. Otherwise he might have waited to set up the trust, and/or it would have been a special needs trust specifically. Money set up for a child with special needs who will probably need assistance needs to be protected in very specific ways... we actually went to lawyers who specialized in Elder and Disabled Law to draw up our son's trust as well as our wills, and guardianship stuff for the boys. But awesome that he was able to set up such a trust. That will really help the child. Presumably once the DS diagnosis is known it would be easy enough to change it to a special needs trust.

And not knowing the Nick of this era, I'm assuming you are presenting him fairly faithfully wrt his caring for the baby... I guess I did see that to some extent in the ONE ep I've seen from this era, the one where the DS diagnosis was made. (So glad in the show they continued the pregnancy. Good on both of them for that.)

By the end, still not sure about Lulu. Feel so bad for Nick, he's really trying so hard, and he went through a hellacious day, almost killing himself (I tell you, the parallels to the current story we've been beating on over in Mentalist-land...)

Now off to read/beta your update from 6 months later :-)
lgmtreader chapter 3 . 1/22/2010
Wow, it's been so long since I read these, and I think I'd only read the first two, but thought I'd better re-read in preparation for betaing ch 5...

I still wish I knew these characters better. I hope they eventually come out with DVDs for S2 and 3...

Well, it seems my fears in chapter 2 were not misplaced; thank God Alvin chanced along. Took him to a meeting (is Alvin his sponsor?) and at least got him out of his immediate suicidal tendencies, it appears. It also seems Alvin is taking care of both the gun and the baggie... - but did he leave the pamphlets for whomever else might happen to show up, or for Nick (but of course they were gone by the time Nick got home)? Alvin couldn't really have anticipated that others would show up while they were out, it seems, so they must have been for Nick, but the others coming to his house must have thought that Nick left the pamphlets for them? or they just wanted to see what was going on with him...

(Now just get PJ to a meeting in the same way in the story we're currently working over, and all will be good! :-)
PhenyxArises chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
Well done! I've enjoyed every chapter. Please write more!
sommerfugle chapter 4 . 12/15/2009
This is great! Finally theres someone who likes the Guardian as well! Please write more!
Cath chapter 4 . 9/9/2009
I discovered this show quite recently and am a huge Nick/Lulu fan. On searching the net, I was quite shocked at all the Lulu hate from fanfic writers. It is the way they struggle to communicate their feelings and misunderstand each other so much that makes the relationship really interesting to me. I think people also find it hard to accept that a tv relationship isn't a perfect one (as they often are!) and that Nick's feelings have always run deeper than Lulu's.

Anyway, I was glad to find a story where Lulu isn't a total bitch (although chapter 4 is leaning that way a bit)

Hope to read more. Guardian fanfiction is pretty sparse unless it's a love letter to Simon Baker!
odg chapter 4 . 8/28/2009
Hello, I just read your story and I love it. You have taken very well the character's psychology, Nick's tormented mind and Lulu's inability to understand him. She not only couldn't read him but she never put herself on his shoes and broke his heart twice.

Good work, keep updating because I really want to know what happens next.
christyzachman chapter 4 . 7/23/2009
The story was good, although it is definitely not like my guardian story which I have never written up and I might later, but right now I am focused on Criminal Minds. But I stll think of the Guardian once in a while.
theresa366 chapter 1 . 7/14/2009
Thank you for writing this story. I have only just found The Guardian, but I'm hooked on poor Nicholas' tortured soul. Please continue this story and start us a new one!

I want to find the series on DVD, any ideas where I might find them?

Do you write about other TV shows?
mwalter1 chapter 4 . 7/13/2009
Jesh! He shows her his will leaving her everything, but she still wants him to leave her alone? Arrgh - Nick wake up and really look at LuLu.
PhoenixWytch chapter 4 . 7/13/2009
I really, really, really want to smack Lulu. I know Nick's made a lot of mistakes, but so has she.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to reading more.