Reviews for Door of Time
Olivia Greene chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
Oh, magnificent atmosphere! The whole way through, the atmosphere mirrors and complements the idea perfectly - rueful, reflective and somehow otherworldly with the constant idea of ‘if only’. If only people had recognised his talent before his death… if only he had lived… if only people could have understood…

It’s a wonderful concept: all the could-have-beens of creative genius, that’s probably the saddest part - how many more paintings would van Gogh have painted had he not killed himself, how many more pieces would Mozart have composed had he not died at 36? And the list goes on. [OK, I promise to stop being soppy all over the place now. ;) ]

Just one little issue: first line of the second paragraph, the beginning part is a little clumsy, you might want to look at the word order, or maybe just change it to ‘intently’ - dunno *shrugs*

Must mention: the line “…we’re forever admiring people we can’t meet.” … so true, so true *shakes head ruefully* It’s an old one, I know, but what wouldn’t many of us give to invite a long list of these people to dinner and have a good long chat with ‘em, eh? I know I certainly could think of quite a few people I’d love to have met.

And, my favourite part… what a beautiful, beautiful ending - the ‘starry night’ reference was hauntingly lovely.
Monty Twain chapter 1 . 7/13/2009
Another one of your odd ones... you're forever challenging me, asking questions... I suggest you read "The Decay of Lying" an absurd essay disguised as a play in which Oscar Wilde comes up with the delightfully daff theory that Nature tries to imitate Art rather than vice-versa.

The main protagonist, Vivian, says that the average sunset is a bad Turner- he even goes as far as to say that the reason there was a smog over London at that time was due to the Impressionists. He ends with this line, which is what made me think of it whilst reading your piece, Tris:

"At twilight nature becomes a wonderfully suggestive effect, and is not without loveliness, though perhaps its chief use is to illustrate quotations from the poets.”
AmatorLinguae chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
The introductory paragraph gives a vivid portrayal of Watson's mood without ever referring to it directly. The writing is clear and focused, and the idea is quite original - I don't think I've ever seen a fic focusing on Watson's interest in art. I don't get the reference to the Red Vineyard, though. Am I right in thinking that the European exhibition was during the Hiatus? Anyway, glad to have you back! :)
Pompey chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
Oh, I LIKE this "new" twist to Watson! Holmes twits him about his taste in art in BASKER but for all we know that was just part of the ploy to get Sir Henry to talk about the paintings.

I think what I like most is how even Watson's thoughts at the beginning use painting imagery. Hidden depths indeed.
DraejonSoul chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
Oh, this is like my own heart's cry! Like, for every little memento of Jeremy Brett I find online, I'm struck with the utter sense of loss and bittersweet sorrow and regret, that, had I been a bit older, had I known more of the man then, I would have tried to reach out to him and give a little something back for what he had lovingly given himself. It's like I don't want to find more tidbits scattered around the web to avoid the regret I feel for not knowing him earlier.

But I'm digress. When Watson said that he was writing about Van Gogh, I can't help but get the feeling that he could be writing about Holmes and himself: How he, Watson, would occasionally feel unappreciated (of which I'm sure he would feel, being mercilessly twitted for his florid writing); and living with a scintillating and volatile genius, and one could keep it from burning out.

A lovely, lovely read. Thank you for sharing!
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
I like this. It's very different, but it is also compelling. Makes me want to find that essay and read it, that's for sure!