Reviews for There For The Grace Of God Go I
Zara Zee chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
Just found this fic, so sorry for the late review!

Totally with you on this one...it was all so inevitable really. Obviously Sam was going to do whatever it took to get Dean back (and you show the long back story behind that beautifully in this fic.) He'd lost everyone and he was desperate. Add Ruby into the mix, at his side, skillfully pushing his buttons and wilfully manipulating him, and his gradual slide into more and more questionable behaviour was just so understandable. But his intentions were always good (even after Dean was back and it became about stopping the apocalypse), and yeah, road to hell and all that, but he deserved compassion not animosity! Great job with this - thanks for sharing.
fantasy-junkie25 chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
I HATE RUBY.

Alright, now that I have re-established that fact for the bajillionth time, I must say bravo!

Poor Sammy...You always capture the boys so well. Dean needs to read this story...well, I think he sorta gets it a little now...a little...

I miss Papa winchester... *(

You have mad writing skillz, by the way. )

I'M GOING TO GO LOOK AT FACEBOOK NOW, K BAI!
llivla chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
One of the things that breaks my heart about Sam is that it's so painfully easy to see how he gets from point A to point B: his disastrous life, horrible coping mechanisms, and obsessive habits of self-flagellation and lack of hope raised red flags for what would happen after Dean went to hell for him well before S4 opened. This fic was just the right mix of ominous and heartrending where I think of Sam in canon as well as in your fic, see exactly where he's going wrong and hate it, but also can't help understand him completely. You did a very good job with this fic!
erin chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
Brilliant. Made me cry.
KKBELVIS chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
Oh... this was good - really drew me in. Loved how you dated each event and gave the location.

I think little Sammy finding out about how his mom died in his nursery, and Dean telling him how it wasn't Sam's fault...was my absoulte favorite bit.

This story was very believable, and made me see Sam drinking the blood in a whole new way.

Two thumbs up,

Karen
Musica Diabolos chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
That was really great! I completely agree with your point of view, it annoys me how much Sam is being vilified (sp?) by so many fans after season 4. It's not as if he did bad things for the sake of being bad (with the exception of his sleeping with Ruby, which was more an expression of his self-loathing that you describe so well here), which is the definition of evil. He was misguided, but he had hope for once and a purpose. It was a way to prevent him from drowning. I really like what you did with this! I wonder if you would be interested in reading my story Solitude? It's not quite finished, but it's a character study about Sam and his addiction.
Faye Dartmouth chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
Very cool progression here-each snippet was powerful in and of itself, and when taken together, it is easy to see how Sam ended up at the point he's at. I find it so weird that people look at Sam in S4 and see a monster or some terrible brother. Dean's last order to remember what he was taught is especially poignant because Dean can idealized the lessons all he wants, but he overlooked what got them to that point. The Winchesters, first and foremost, are about sacrifice, about selling your soul for another. They've all done it. And so to follow that lesson, Sam would have to do the same, no matter what the cost. Dean left his brother with a horrible legacy, even if Dean didn't want to see it that way, and the fact that Sam turned to darker sources is only logical considering it's the only coping mechanism he's ever seen. Even more logical when you think about the tragedies and fears that have formed Sam's life.

I'm rambling-but all in all, a very beautiful fic :) Well done!
QuierdoMusic chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
wow... that was Sammy becoming Sam...

Great story