Reviews for Shades of Grey
Little-miss-laughs-alot chapter 8 . 7/25/2013
Loved it! Great characterizations! Great storyline too!
Little-miss-laughs-alot chapter 1 . 7/24/2013
Hey, I just started reading this and I already love it, but one thing.

After this happens:

-"And we checked that," Jim replies. "Seems Starfleet has no record of the Katashi sending any message, diplomatic or otherwise. Which begs the question - who made it look like they had?"-

You skip to here:

-Sliding behind an upturned table, Jim narrowly misses losing his head. He glances at Spock - thanks! - before stronger phaser bursts burn through the thick wood-like table they've taken refuge behind, sizzling in the wall behind them.-

Without any explanation of how the fighting started. It went straight from talking to the middle of the fight.

Unless there was supposed to be a time skip, it doesn't make much sense. A line break would be good there if it's a time lapse.

Can't wait to read more!
catchme21 chapter 8 . 4/26/2013
Yes! I always get excited when I find a good old fashioned, well thought out and exceptionally written mission story as I'm not a fan of slash, de-aged, OC, or childhood memory type stories. I loved this! Had just the right amount of hurt/superhuman Kirk (I am a fan of those) to be awesome yet still believable and without making it seem like the story was straight up centered on Kirk being hurt (those can get kind of boring). Once I found this I was grateful it was complete so I could read it all in one go and not wait for updates. I hope your finger eventually got better (ouch!) and I am so looking forward to visiting your profile to see if you've written any other great stories. Btw, bravo on getting the characters just right, it's hard to do with Spock sometimes but you did it flawlessly. Thanks!
ihgqwulthm chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
X1tyie a href" /"jsumiupngfgc/a, [ /]tihirltvrflg[/url], [ /]mouxbhpopsvq[/link], /
ImaSupernaturalCSI chapter 8 . 5/24/2010

Everybody was in character, at least as much as I know from Star Trek by having seen, oh, the new movie. It was so easy to picture Pine and Urban and Quinto right there throughout the story. Plus, there was a TON of Bones which I highly enjoyed, as he's my favorite character. Sulu kicked ass on the bridge, I loved that part. And it had a great plot and now it's totally leaving me wanting more and I need to go see if you've started a sequel or something, and if not, well, then I'm off to see what else you've got in Trek fandom.

Outstanding job.
Michi P chapter 8 . 1/29/2010
This was incredibly entertaining to read, not in a funny way, but in a keep-me-in-my-seat-and-just-read kind of way. I love the way you write, it's very mature and the style is well-developed and almost poetic in its execution. You pay very close attention to details, and established wonderful characters for Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, and Spock. Great job!

~Michi P.
brodie-wan chapter 6 . 12/30/2009
I love that you're doing with Sulu. his command style in this story reminds me of Kirk Prime's sly deception.

I also greatly enjoyed the Bones/Spock moment in the midst of hand to hand combat. Well played! Best moment so far.

Get Kirk out of there! I understand 'hurt kirk', but he's only human! :-)

Look forward to more.
brodie-wan chapter 5 . 12/24/2009
Kriff! Stang! Damn! Just a few words to let you know my feeling on losing a beautiful review I wrote for this chapter. *poof* it's gone.

Suffice to say, I liked this chapter very much. From Bones canny awareness of Kirk hiding his weakness to Kirk recognizing Bones transition to ‘family’, the characterizations are rich and fully realized.

I also enjoyed the changing pov. Each character gave unique perspectives on the situation at hand. From Spock not understanding Kirk’s hope and determination to Uhura’s recognition of Sulu’s command performance, I was drawn into how this story is affecting the crew.

Too bad that Larass dug his own grave, but, at least, now the crew aboard ship has the same information discovered by the crew on the ground.

I eagerly look forward to the next chapter.
Diddlepie chapter 8 . 12/7/2009
Congradulations on a terrific story. Great plot, action, characterization, dialogue. You can turn a nice phrase, and combined with clean, polished writing you've written one of the best fanfics I've read. One comment, I found the constant present tense hard to read. I know it is more immediate in tone, but I would have liked the story in past tense, and of course the ending when they are sitting around to finish in present tense. My opinion, take it for what it's worth to you.

Thanks for a grat read, and selfishly, I hope you'll do another.
brodie-wan chapter 4 . 8/3/2009
Okay, I was momentarily confused by the time loss at the beginning of Chapter 2. I’m better now. Wow. Kirk is in bad shape. Bones is in a bad mood(go figure), and Uhura is rethinking her opinion of Kirk. Sounds par for the course, except for Uhura. I loved that she acknowledged her failure to protect the captain, even if he blew it off. It makes me wonder what this Kirk would consider a real problem. If every one are ‘friends’, how do you maintain order and discipline.

This story is very intriguing and like ginger ninja’s it appears to involve elements of Starfleet that are involved in some naughty behavior. Section 31, anyone?

I really enjoyed the scene with the lighting in Kirk’s ready room. I could see this playing out cinematically. Kirk and McCoy’s face off about him returning to the planet was very TOS, but I can’t imagine Bones allowing a nearly mortally wounded captain, pale of face, still recovering, and exhausted, captain return to duty.

The image of Kirk picking up the crop and examining it was poignant. The discovery that the Katari were eating rotten food is sad.

Where is Larass?

And what happened during the four missing hours (or does this matter at this point.)?
Rinne chapter 8 . 7/30/2009
I greatly enjoyed this. You've got a great grasp on the characters and it was a great adventure.
brodie-wan chapter 1 . 7/30/2009
First of all, thank you to ginger ninja for referring me to this fic. I'm very grateful.

Secondly, Kira, there is something brutally honest about this fic; something very serious minded.

a. Jim's interaction with Pike. He feels he's out of his depth in diplomacy, but he also doesn;t want to let Pike down.

b. Bone's drinking on the job as well as the meeting in which Scotty got clobbered. I was proud of Kirk for only having one beer, but embasrrassed for scotty and Bones. It was a weird feeling.

c. Kirk is very aware of how he's precieved. Not only by Pike, but especially by Uhura and Larass. The section about Larass implying Kirk was not worthy of captaincy was poignant. Also I get from Kirk that he does and doesn't care about how he' perceived. Even Bones questions Kirk's ability. I guess its good that he has Pike, because most of his command staff seem to think him ill equipped.

d. I was very pleased to see that Kirk had done his homework and that he was more aware of the secret held by the Kartari and the local starfleet conftingent. This move was very reticent of TOS Kirk and I loved it.

e. Yikes! Phaser fire that fast. I guess Jim's confrontation was not going to be denied. Just taken care of. Very nice action scene at the end as well as Nyota's one second too long look after Spock. Looks like Jim will be take a burn to the back.

Can;t wait for more. Good thing I have 7 more chapters waiting. ;-P
Time and Fate chapter 8 . 7/29/2009
I totally love your style. You know how hard it is to find good writing in a new fandom. Can't wait for you next fic!
nwspaprtaxis chapter 8 . 7/29/2009
It's over? That's It?

It ended perfectly, but there is so much unsaid and I was actually a bit confused throughout this fic. Not the whole thing per-se, but rather parts of it confused me. Like Spock being injured - I had to go back and he seemed fine on the Bridge. In any case, I'm glad Kirk is okay, but not surprised, he is James Tiberius Kirk after all.

I liked your one-shots better, but this one was excellent as well. Just something a little more linear in style would've helped.

I look forward to more though!

PS- I don't think there needs to be a sequel, but a follow-up fic to fill in some of the blanks would be nice. Also, I loved loved loved the Federation bureaucracy and Jim punching the wall in frustration. The ending was perfect. All that was needed was for Jim to have bandages on his hand for busting a couple of knuckles after denting a wall... )
Taeriel chapter 8 . 7/29/2009
A very good story! I enjoyed reading it.