Reviews for The Orange Words
Arwenelle chapter 1 . 7/26
I have a friend who's a synethete but for her certain colours have certain smells as well. For example nine which is yellow has a smell which she's never managed to describe but says is very common and so that smell will register to her as the smell of the colour nine. Unlike Edmund in this story she loves talking about it and explaining it to people who are curious about it but we both found it really cool to see fanfiction in which one of the characters we both grew up with sees the world the way she does, especially since in the fandoms we're in neither of us has seen other stories like this. It was also cool to be able to connect with Peter a bit since I've been in the place of looking in on the way my close friend sees the world similarly to how he's looking in on the way his brother sees the world. It's always cool to find fanfiction like this because it makes you relate to the characters in new ways, but it is still a well-written, humorous piece of writing that anyone who happens upon it can enjoy on the merit of the writing alone. In summary, the writing is great, the idea behind it is really cool, you wrote that idea really well, and you managed to fit all of that into a story that is balanced between keeping true to the facts without trying to fit in too much information or teach the science and unbalancing the flow of the story. The story remains funny and the characters remain the characters and the facts remain the facts and the flow remains smooth and that summary was almost as long as the first portion of the review so I'll just stop myself here. DFTBA.
The Regboner Queen chapter 1 . 8/14/2013
I have this condition too :D just not always with words. Numbers, different kinds of pain, sounds. Lovely little one shot.
MCH chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
this is a shpadoinkle of a story. very funny thanks.
Starbrow chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
Amazing fic! I love the concept of Edmund having this ability and why it makes him who he is. I don't have color synesthesia when it comes to numbers or letters, but I certainly hear different colors/moods/sensations in different pitches and keys, and it is a very interesting way of seeing and feeling music. I so enjoyed the interplay of Peter's curiosity and vulnerability when it comes to remembering things with Edmund's sensitivity over his perspective on the world. Beautifully done.
marmota-b chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
Me too! Me too! And some are the same as Edmund's and some are not. Peter's so totally not orange for me... he's either steely blue or maroon, I can't decide. And Edmund is a darker, richer blue.

And it IS helpful for remembering things - it helps when learning languages, because I can colour-code words - it works especially when learning numbers.

It does not work for remembering names for me, though. Probably because I do a similar thing with names and faces/personalities, and when they do not match my mind in real life, I get into trouble. I had a classmate whom I tended to call by a different name. I always had to catch and correct myself. So there I'm more in Peter's shoes.

The story is a delightful conversation of two brothers, who are similar and at the same time very different... and I think this sort of conversation shows their mutual trust and friendship and sibling-what-have-you very well (at least guessing from similar sort of conversations I have with my sisters). Letting someone see how your mind works requires a lot of trust!

I like that little hint that Edmund would like to discuss something else but knows better than to bore his brother on their ride.
MonkeySaru chapter 1 . 11/19/2009
Oh my gosh.

MY CONDITION HAS A NAME? Like, it's a real thing?

BONUS!

Yeah, I seriously do that ALL THE TIME. I don't agree with Ed on any of these, though. The letter 'S' is definitely a deep red, the number '9' is absolutely a dark blue, "Peter" is a crystalline blue color, Edmund's is a sort of cobalt blue, Susan's is red, Lucy's is lime green...

-rambles-

anyway. this was very cute and sweet and informative on so many levels. (: thanks tons for writing. xD

Ever a socailly-awkward synesthete,

yours truly,

-Monkey.
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
A great story. Very good.
Red Bess Rackham chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
Random and cute! They both felt totally in character. Well done. :)

~Red
lover of books chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
oh..."M" is a dark pink-ish color...yep...i have it too..which is totally fun...it creeps out my friends...and the story was great...and ed is right "dunce" IS an orange word :)
Breeze2 chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
Aw I loved it Hev, a really cute little look insight into Edmund's mind and a lovely little captured moment of brotherly banter! Awesome :D
Autu-chan chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
Oh, oh, oh! I am a synesthete as well, and I know the feeling! My friend does this to me all the time! Edmund's always been green. The name, at least. When I think of each letter individually, it changes, but the name as a whole is green. Peter is red, Susan is blue, and Lucy is Purple. I love you for writing this story!
Peanut Butter etc chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
Wonderful! Although, I always thought of Edmund as green, Susan as purple,and Lucy as red. Peter does, indeed, have a certain orange quality to him. Also, I've always associated days of the week with colors. For instance, today is a purple day because it is Wednesday. :) Happy hopefully semi-on time birthday! And yes my day has been quite shpadoinkle. Thank you for asking.
mokatster chapter 1 . 7/18/2009
I found the idea that letters and words have their own colors quite hilarious and intriguing. :) If I were Peter, I'd definitely be interrogating Edmund as well.

I enjoyed this "quick little piece of fluff." Thanks for sharing! :)
Shizuku Tsukishima749 chapter 1 . 7/14/2009
lol. So, is 'M' just another question, or is there something implied there? XD

Hm...I've never really hard f this condition, but that would be so strange! Wow! O.O I would totally admire someone who had that (poor them, though- it must be like Ed here, finally having enough)! _

Rock on! I think I'd have a lot of trouble remembering names, too- I can barely remember a name a few seconds after I hear it! XD U *U*

Ever-so sincerely signed,

Shizuku Tsukishima749 :D ;D :) ;)
FallenUpStairs chapter 1 . 7/13/2009
..Reminds me of the book call A Mango Shaped Space...I think it would be pretty different to have synesthete, and it's awesome that you have Edmund with it.