Reviews for Taking Root
Guest chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
I'm going to start this by saying I wish you had posted this in chapters so that I could leave more than one review and so I could have made them more detailed. As it is, I'm starting this review halfway through the story so that I don't forget everything!

I *loved* this story. It's easily the best I've read on and I almost overlooked it. (So glad that I didn't!) You took a different approach than most PR authors I've seen. You laid out Tommy's faults as a leader, you noted the way that Billy was stiffed after losing his powers (he could have offered so much to the new team being an original Ranger, but he was incredibly underappreciated), you picked up on Jason's natural, *non-forceful* leadership qualities (he never ordered anyone; he never had to, because they followed him willingly), and you touched upon the harmony the original team had. In watching subsequent PR seasons, that's what I've noticed and missed the most: the MMPR team did everything together. They were a team both in and out of the suits and there was a harmony and natural unity that none of the other teams have possessed. It makes me pine for the original five every time I delve into a new season of PR. It saddens me when I think of Thuy Trang dying so young. It would have been incredible to see the original five back together one last time in their old suits. The actors didn't have to fake their characters' friendships, because they actually were friends in real life and it came through on camera.

To continue, while I was hesitant at first about Jason's mom being a Ranger, I think you did an excellent job with the alternate story arc and the subsequent history that was revealed. It's obvious that you put a lot of thought into it and planned things out. I was also intrigued by the part where Billy bonds with his spirit animal and looks inside himself to discover the bonds of friendship. Again, it was very well thought out and was a rather interesting concept. Finally, reading of Kim's return home to Angel Grove and to the Rangers was like coming home myself. Having the original team back together again brings a huge smile to my face and fills me with warmth. It's such a pleasant reminder of my childhood when things were so much simpler and I could better believe in stories like theirs. I thoroughly enjoyed this and wish you had more involving the original team (particularly Jason). You have a talent for writing and I'm glad you're willing to share.

May the power protect you,
-MK
jesi ki kage chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Holy... love it! the different relationship dynamics were very interesting. the information on the different types of rangers and stuff was really clever but was rushed into the story. otherwise very nicely written. thanks for writing can't wait to read more! -Jesi Ki Kage
CrispyDruid chapter 1 . 2/1/2012
Read this story about two months ago - Inspired me to write my own PR slash. ;-) I love your characterisation of Zordon as a incompetent leader - I've been re-watching the series as research (I remember Billy being hotter when I was 12... .) and a lot of the silly story could easily racked up to his incompetence. _

And all the rest of the twists - it's a great yarn and thank you for writing it! _
Hackthecatboy chapter 1 . 3/16/2011
Again grate story and on to the next one _
Maethorwen of Atlantis chapter 1 . 10/2/2010
That was really good. I would have preferred such a long story to be broken up into chapters, but the fact that it wasn't didn't detract from readability for me at all.

I loved the part about Jason's spirit guide. I could just imagine his reaction if he had gotten the golden retriever. Still, the hawk was right that the dog would have been a good match for Jason as well.

I really felt for Tommy at times. He was so off balance and it wasn't his fault yet no one saw it.

Good job at making me dislike Zordon and his foolishness. Its not easy to do such things.

The ending was fitting. They are back together as they should be.
yumi2482 chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
nice idea. Poor guys though they must be so confused. I hope Tommy and Kim get together and Trini and Billy too! How'd you come up with this?
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Awesome job! Loved it. Jason's spirit a Golden Retriever? Ha ha ha ha. Okay, if you ever did that, here's a scene you could do:

Jason looked down at the emblem on his suit. His jaw dropped in astonishment. He looked up at the others.

"I'm a dog!" he exclaimed.

"Don't even go there, dude. I got a frog," Adam responded.

Again, awesome job. Catch ya on the flip side.
Mwhahahaha18 chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
This was a really good story...I definatly liked it!
Nijntje86 chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
Oh man, I absolutely loved your story! It was truely great!

loved it loved it loved it!

I never liked zeo, it felt wrong!

you just made it right.

thank you!

:P;)
Ev chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
Okay, I can't understand why there aren't more reviews. o.O This story was very, very involving. I admit I was a bit cautious at first about Aerin (I've never seen later versions of the Power Rangers than the Zeo Rangers, so I'm waiting until I've built up my knowledge about the Rangers in Space to read Forget Me Not, which means any introductory info on her I was *supposed* to actually get from that story... hasn't been gotten .; ) - she seemed like a possible character to become... overly talented. Yet you didn't overload her with seeming perfection, and her fallability kept me from simply disregarding her as a full character. I think she's fairly well-balanced for someone who's several centuries old and still has to deal with menstruation. .;

To the possibility that you had sprung Billy's being the Platinum Darkstar Ranger out of nowhere... well, honestly I expected *something* ever since Aerin was wondering why it seemed strange to think of Billy as Blue. I can sort of understand the confusion; my own mind gave me a fall-back in case I was wrong about where you were going with that, so that I could mentally readjust the story around that point if my suspicions weren't confirmed. (I'm not being clear, .; I mean to say that part could be read as simply being about his no longer being the Blue Ranger, if one has been dwelling on it, despite the fact that she doesn't wonder about the other original Rangers possibly not suiting their colors.)

I do wonder about the Platinum Ranger that was supposed to be on her team at the time it was active, though. Billy thinks about the fact that he can never meet some members of his team, because they were already dead, but... I can't wrap my mind around a team being called together centuries before the only possible last member, which implies that there should have been another at the time, although he or she was never found. And my mind keeps picking at that point. .; It can't stop considering possibilities, like "Billy was supposed to exist then," or "they couldn't find the Platinum Ranger because he/she had died in an accident on his/her planet before the team was formed," or "the person who was supposed to be the Platinum Ranger at that time was converted into evil before the team was formed," or or or. o.O;

I like the system you've set up about bonding to their Powers, and being intended for certain Powers; I can actually see it making retrospective sense when applied to what we saw in the shows. (And Adam is really the most logical choice for Blue Ranger if you've said it wasn't really intended to be Billy, especially if you want a balance of strengths on the original team.)

I'm not sure Zordon isn't getting more of the short end of the stick than he really deserves, but... it's also understandable that he would get cut out now that they've been told that he's sort of lied to them this entire time, and especially if he set himself up as this almost all-knowing sage, yet he's so far from being that that he got members of the team of which he was an active part killed out of his own... sheer stubbornness?

But I return to my original point - I really don't understand why you haven't gotten more feedback on this. I know PR isn't a hotbed of commenting activity or anything, but seriously. *headdesk*
candidcandle chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
Not bad in terms of style and sentence structure... though I think the suddenly revelation about the holder of the platinum power had no real build up, it would have better for clues to this to be in play rather than this forced revelation that was just kind of a nonchalant "Well, gee, he's right here."

Plus, after hundreds of years of no doubt studying rangers and powers, and after being a ranger himself, it's hard to believe Zordon would be so fantastically stupid about what seems to be the basic root of rangers True Power? If he was so cluelessly inept, who (Council on Eltar?) would have given him the title of 'Zordon' and sent him off to train new rangers with such a galactic level of incompetence?
ae1102 chapter 1 . 7/14/2009