Reviews for The Eastern Door
Laura Andrews chapter 7 . 12/31/2014
What a lovely story! My very favorite scene was Aslan and Caspian in the treasure chamber, although the part where he offered to take the punishment for Gaius is a close second. You wrote Caspian so well: young, not completely sure of himself all the time, but at the same time noble and, well, pretty awesome :D
I was also much amused when he dismissed the troublemaking councillor and immediately replaced him with Drinian; he is in many ways a no nonsense person, and it was very much in character, what with him doing the same with Gumpas later on.
rosebudmelissa chapter 7 . 2/9/2011
Great story. I had never thought about it, but it only makes sense for Caspian to rebuild Cair Paravel. It is so much a part of Narnia. Your characters are also quite wonderful. I especially enjoyed Drinian.
rosebudmelissa chapter 6 . 2/9/2011
Very good chapter. My only concern is the possible repercussions of removing Lord Mahal so unceremoniously from his position as councilor. He's sure to stir up trouble. I think Caspian should at least have asked him if he had reasons for his objection. I don't think he did, but a just king should at least attempt to make it clear when a man is acting out of spite, rather than risk appearing to punish him merely for choosing to disagree. It is not a councillor's job to always agree with his king, it is his job to advise - especially when he disagrees. In the end, he must abide by and carry out his king's decisions, but he must be allowed to disagree with them. I feel like this wasn't made clear in that exchange. And don't worry, I wouldn't bother to critique your story so harshly if I didn't overall think it is quite wonderful. I just think that your jewel of a story could use a little more polishing in this one spot.
rosebudmelissa chapter 3 . 2/9/2011
One of the things I love most about Narnia is seeing her various inhabitants interacting with the humans and each other. It's fascinating to see how their various needs and gifts effect the exchange. You did a great job with the dryad.
FelipeMarcusThomas chapter 7 . 7/17/2010
I cannot help but think that if CS Lewis had written a short story detailing the rebuilding of Cair Paravel, it would have been something like this one. You captured very well the maturing of King Caspian into his authority, and the growth of the unity, though not without some bumps, of Narnia. Well done. This story is now listed as one of my favourites.
Sapphire Warrioress chapter 7 . 3/8/2010
This story was awesome.

I'm also attempting to fill the gaps Lewis left in different parts of the Chronicles, and this tale was very much in the spirit of the original Narnia books.

I thought your characterization of Caspian was excellent, and you did a great job with Drinian as well.

Also you answered a question I had asked myself when rereading Prince Caspian, how was the treasure chamber protected.

Thanks for sharing this story.
Manavie chapter 7 . 2/14/2010
This was a lovely read. I wish there was more :D There aren't much stories that focus on Caspian (Other than Caspian/Susan)so you totally made my day with this story. Thank you very much :):)
Queen Su chapter 1 . 1/24/2010
Brilliant! :) I've finally found a book Caspian fic! (Aside from my friend, King Caspian's fics.) I absolutely LOVE this story! Great work! Thanks for sticking to the book!

All for Aslan,

Queen Susan the Gentle
done.sorry chapter 7 . 11/21/2009
Oh, this was lovely. It's so nice to find Narnia fanfiction that's not obsessed with the movie canon, and how pretty Caspian was, and the angst of all the partings.

Your style mimicked Lewis' style rather well overall, and I like how you made the object lessons part of the plot. I also liked the references to the Dawn Treader. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer.
acacia59601 chapter 7 . 11/16/2009
This is an impressive story, very well done! I liked how you had Caspian interacting with Aslan and learning the most important lesson for a king to learn, humility of self and pride in his kingdom. Very good job!
Andi Horton chapter 7 . 11/7/2009
Ooh, right off I love the opening, the image of the scaffolding "swimming" with labourers. I also love the topic that follows naturally out of that, the idea that being united in a common cause will bring people together who would not normally be so.

The nuances to this chapter really make it shine. The idea that Aslan cannot be summoned or commanded, nor even that his constant approval is NEEDED, but rather he will respond to the growth of Caspian's wisdom and the humility of his simply-stated desire for the approval of the Lion . . . it just made me smile and feel all warm all over.

To borrow words, yes, it IS well. The entire fic is a sweet, strongly-crafted piece that simply sings of the Narnia I adore. It is (and I poach here, again) very well indeed.
Andi Horton chapter 6 . 11/7/2009
He I loved this! Every bit of it! I think if I had to pick a favourite minister it would probably be Lord Jamin; the mental image of an old man getting all giddy at the thought of an adventure like this is something that really speaks to me. Marvellous.

Of course it probably wouldn't make sense if everybody fell in right away, or even at all, and I liked the balance you struck between instant allegiance, cautious consideration and unabashed refusal. Caspian's discomfiture over Gaius's fierce devotion is touching, amusing and fitting all at once. I want to hug Lady Sela, the only one of her family left- there is something deeply lonely in that brief description you give. On that note, too, I love how you give us little glimpses of characters that make me want to know more about them- again, a very Narnian thing, somehow.

I am only sorry it took me this long to get around to reading it all!
Andi Horton chapter 5 . 11/7/2009
Oh, history! I love Narnian history- I mean, I love when people create bits of Narnian history that mesh perfectly with everything we already know of Narnia, and that is something for which I can always count on you :D

The bit about Drinian holding his tongue regarding Caspian's fitness to rule made me giggle; the description of Aslan's mane shedding light the way a cat sheds fur was beautiful. Actually, your Aslan is beautiful in general, patient but not overly lenient, stern but gentle. Marvellous.

The caveat about removing treasure for personal gain is so very fitting. It seems exactly the sort of thing that would fit in with everything we know of Narnia, and particularly of the four whose rule was the Golden Age. Wonderful :D Poor Caspian, of course, but still wonderful!
Andi Horton chapter 4 . 11/7/2009
Finally, finally! I have been promising myself this story for so long that it seems a bit surreal to at last be able to sit down with it- but of course, that is the best sort of surrealism.

Snippet dashing Caspian's hopes for some magical sacred arrival tickled me to no end; Bright Eyes remarking on green grass did throw me a bit, I don't think of dogs as thinking in terms of colour, more in terms of scent and other sensations like that, but the lines themselves were very evocative and the sentiment behind them a powerful one.

As for this whole business with the treasure, it's interesting to see you establishing a sort of precedent for Caspian's behaviour on Deathwater. We can certainly believe his actions here because we know he's going to be doing a similar sort of bone-headed thing a few years down the road- will that kid just never learn? Tsk ;)

And hee, I don't even have to wait for the next chapter! I like this!
Taryn Streambattle chapter 7 . 9/17/2009
Well done! Wonder what they said about Reep . . .

Scratch that- I don't want to know!
50 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »