Reviews for Rail Roads
Pairingslover chapter 2 . 1/26/2014
As i read this story, my heart twisted painfully for Takaki. This is one of the most breathtaking pieces of work I have read in my life. The description was so realistic that I couldn't stop crying for them and their unrequited love. Truly the best closure fanfic for the best anime romance movie.
LolaTheSa chapter 2 . 1/18/2014
Too many flaws, the main one to me is that he is a reck and doesn't do anything. The writers in this fandom are making me hate the canon and hate his childhood friend.
InoSaku4ever chapter 2 . 3/28/2013
such a beautiful story...
NijiBrush chapter 2 . 11/21/2012
That was completely beautiful and inspiring. Amazing job, keep up the great work.
Animeguy1 chapter 1 . 3/1/2012
awesome
Rollzlx chapter 2 . 2/8/2012
I am beyond words... That was truly the most beatiful thing I have read in a long time. I don't know quite what to say... But amazing job.
CelestialTimekeeper chapter 2 . 11/28/2011
I loved it. I liked the fact that there was no dialogue in it. If there was, it would detract from the beautiful scenery that's conjured up in my mind.
kusachi-chan chapter 2 . 12/6/2010
A very beautiful story! It made me cry... (so, thanks! X'D)
The Unmemorable One chapter 2 . 7/8/2010
wonderful. if you wrote a book i would buy it in a heart beat.
superweapons chapter 2 . 7/1/2010
Superb story. The plotline is befitting; a beautiful epilogue. The execution and style is almost perfect for the setting. The first-person view, the imagery, and the way most of the plot is intelligently weaved in between the two make this a great read.

Some parts could be reworded. In particular, "The papers literally burst from the ground..." at the end of chapter 1. Removing 'literally' or completely rephrasing the sentence and its parent paragraph would improve that part of the story. I imagine a metaphor/symbolism could be used to good effect here. For example, you could compare one of the movie's memorable icons or themes (i.e. sakura petals drifting away) to how Takuki puts his past behind him.

Also, the theme you try to instill into readers in the last sentence of chapter 2 could be either better embedded earlier in the story (i.e. detailing her name on the letter... gah, not sure how well this will work out though) or changed into something that would 'flow' better. However, I realize that this can be a matter of perspective. When I finished reading this story, my thoughts were of how Takuki was putting Akari-his broken, shattered past-behind him and looking towards a living a bright new future without any regrets from his past strapping him down. You can take a leap and shorten Akari's being to just her name as you did with this story. I think it's clearer to have it written about her (or as Takuki's memory) directly or through strong symbolism.

Even if you feel that the story is better the way it is and choose not to implement any changes, it's still among my favorites. Keep up the good work; I'll be looking forward to your future fanfiction.
Kaj-Nrig chapter 2 . 4/21/2010
I've been horribly amiss in reviewing this concluding chapter. And it was written for me, too? I feel even worse.

I thoroughly enjoyed the softness and the ambiguity of this chapter. Much of it reflects the movie quite accurately, while still adding your personal touch. The ending, in particular, I thoroughly enjoyed - though when you realize that the ending of this story is simply ending the end of the last chapter, which itself acts as an end to the end of the movie, you have to wonder how often a story can end.

And that is very much what this chapter feels like: an ending added to an ending. For that matter, it also feels very much like its own unique ending to the movie. The two chapters have almost imperceptible differences that make them fit together just a bit imperfectly, but they both serve as fitting codas to the movie itself.

This chapter doesn't have quite the same level of polish as the first does, though, and that's a bit disappointing. Whereas the first chapter is very systematically and purposefully constructed, the sentences and phrases in this chapter sometimes feel unfinished or unrefined. "Time in which we cannot chase," "until sometime that the train returns to its normal momentum of travel," and so on. These bits and pieces of muddled passages throw me out of the story, as do the bits and pieces of inconsistent grammar and verb tense change.

Of course, those flaws are overtaken by lines such as "It radiates with warmth, but somehow, hurts like a phantom limb.", that are remarkable in their emotion and unbridled beauty.

Is it as good as your first chapter? In my opinion, no. But that doesn't even matter, because it's still amazing in the sheer depth of its writing. So thank you again for providing a great read.

Also, the tip of the head was an ingenious thing to take away from the movie.
Somechick chapter 2 . 1/27/2010
This is a GOOD fanfic!

Somechick
NinjaNeko94 chapter 2 . 1/20/2010
THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! You really captured Takaki's personality and i love how you put in the Sakura Tree that was my fav scene in the movie. Truely wonderful almost made me cry to be honest but i love it XD
bladz-liska chapter 2 . 10/29/2009
This is so… so… beautiful.

It’s a fantastic pair of stories, I saw the movie long ago when I discovered your story and read it along this new chapter I had the same sensation after watching the movie. A bittersweet feeling where you can smile because of the beauty of the pictures but the mere idea of this non-consumed love story made me want to imagine what would’ve happened if they really had finished together.

About the first one. You did an interesting work describing Takaki’s negation-realization he has to let the letters go, to forget (or try to). Even it felts a bit bitter, is concise, to let her go.

The second one… ah! I think the best, in such short description you transmit a whole idea about this pair, increasing maybe the depressing feeling they didn’t end together but is not the end of the world, each one took different paths and couldn’t forget at all.

Could be said they are happy?

If ‘she’ is Akari… in some way she continued her like about the Sakura tree.

If Takaki could forget her name, he managed to accomplish his decision to forget.

As you said, it depends each personal point of view, I love the open ends; you could finish or no the story, and could be said you ended it as you want to do it.

Yep, a babbling maybe non-sense review but I watched the movie again today to remember the complete story… and as I said, the feeling at the end, is the same.

Oh! and the poem fragments are lovable!

Aplausos!

See ya!
MissAkari chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
This is beautiful already! Hope you get the second part up.