Reviews for World of Rooftops
Hispaniola'sCaptain chapter 1 . 7/13/2014
A lovely look at the Riddler's psychology. Very few people look beyond his gimmick (I myself am generally guilty of this) but you expand him not just into a full person, but a full person who is completely honest with himself and satisfied with himself. Your Riddler is a whole person who acts as a literary device for his world. I tip my hat to you.
Master of the Boot chapter 1 . 8/12/2010
I must say that this is a very awsome tribute to the master of riddles. I tip my green bowler hat to you.

I like how Riddler is very much an ego driven but quite sane villain. It's really a nice break from the Joker's all out madness.

I've loved the Riddler since I saw the Frank Gorshin version so this is a great tribute.

tA

Master of the Boot
MoniBolis chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
Great look at the riddler.
Twinings chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
Very nice! It's wonderful to get a little insight into the minds of the rogues, and very few authors seem able to get a handle on my favorite brain. Well done.

-3.0
Matt the Batman Fan chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
It's nice to see Edward get the kind of introspection time that is usually only reserved for The Joker. I've never really approved of a Batman who was so locked up into what he did that he couldn't survive without the people he fights (a little too grim for me) but I do like this take on it. You've got a real handle on the character you're choosing to work on and that can only be a good thing. Nice work.
Lasgalendil chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
I can feel the potential for this piece rising off it like steam. You've got something going here that just needs to bust free, but it's being held back. I can see what you are trying to do and it is powerful the way you have shown the character of the Riddler and his pining and childlike but so refined obsession for Batman's recognition.

Eddie/Riddler. You've pointed out to us through his mindset that Batman is the real man, and Bruce Wayne is the mask. You also mentioned that the same was true for him...so why still call him Eddie? Does this character embrace his 'stage name' like the Joker, or does he despise it? Does it simply amuse him? Or, have you chosen to refer to him as Eddie because he still sees himself as a young child whose genius has gone unrecognized? I think an explanation for what he refers to himself as will really add strength to this piece.

Another thing I want to point out is that in a close third person narration you don't want to use names all that much if you can help it. In close third, you want to be as close to the character as possible without directly experiencing the world through them-and in many ways it is much more free than first person (I) narration because we can see the entire world, not just the narrow lens of one man's eyes. But when you write close third you want to keep as close to that character as possible, keep their emotions tied to them. Calling Eddie 'Eddie' in this chapter repeatedly instead of him/he (since he's the solitary figure on the roof) is distracting to us as readers, and pulls us away from the drama unfolding before us, forces us a step back. I'd love to see you re-write this to make it more personal, more intimate, and since it is a master villain and not a wanton madman we're dealing with, more frightening.

I loved the title to this little fic. The fight for good and evil in Gotham really is staged above the city, isn't it?
Jen Rock chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
Very nice little character study of the Riddler. The description of Batman as his "greatest friend and worst enemy" was very good as was Eddie's admission that he needs Batman in order to be challenged. I liked the line about never being able to play chess if your opponent never makes a move. Good job.
Aliera chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
I loved this.

I do like good Riddler stories.

Goodn profile, even if I'm not sure he knows a dozen languages :)

The Illegible chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Wow! This is absolutely magnificent! I haven't been able to find many Riddler-centric stories, and even fewer that manage to really capture his personality. And then I found this.

"His only opponent, the grim spectre that haunts criminals in the middle of the night, the living nightmare that can bring hardened criminals to the verge of a psychological breakdown, the thing that goes bump in the night."

Great, GREAT description of Batman! I also adored the entire paragraph starting with "He doesn’t try to make people’s lives better, but he doesn’t try to make their lives miserable either." Also, appreciated that you incorporated his narcissism without making it into something irritating or gaudy. It's just a natural part of him, which means just a single facet of several. Ugh, I loved this story. Fantastic job!
Dr. Doodle chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
I loved the opening line to this, I thought it was very powerful and it captures the character perfectly.

I really enjoyed this because you've written it so well and it's not often you get to see things from Eddie's perspective so it's a nice change :]
P'tfami chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Insightful thoughts on the Riddler - it is true that he doesn't often come off as threatening compared to the other rogues, and I particularly liked the argument about 'How much more challenging it is to leave all the pawns alive'. This is the sort of thinking that generals employed during the great wars - a pity that Eddie is not lured by the straight and narrow path:P

I think the Batman recognises this trait though, and it would be interesting to see his thoughts for future fics.

Although I like reading insights into characters, I felt this story could have had more structure, more visuals to set the stage. So far, I gathered that the Riddler was in the middle of a heist and that he is watching from somewhere in the open air.

Perhaps you could recreate the heist's setting, add some details of the location, the time, the weather outside etc.

It would make the fic a little longer too and not feel like a dry lecture.

I don't mean to come off strong, I really liked this but a little more descriptive writing would go down a treat.

Cheers.
Window Girl chapter 1 . 7/17/2009
Great story! I think you paint an accuarte picture of the relationship between Batman and the Riddler. I like how you compared the Riddler's mind to an enferno. Is his mastery of languages cannon, or something you made up?