Reviews for A Darker Shade of Green
anothersignalman chapter 4 . 7/4
This is brilliantly written. The final scene reminds me of a quote from Yes, Minister - "You have to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back."
ObsessedwReading chapter 5 . 8/14/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction.
ObsessedwReading chapter 4 . 8/14/2015
Wonderfully written. :)
ObsessedwReading chapter 3 . 8/13/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction. :-)
ObsessedwReading chapter 2 . 8/13/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction.
ObsessedwReading chapter 1 . 8/13/2015
Wonderfully written. :)
Halfcent chapter 16 . 7/24/2015
Ha, I knew it! Somehow I just KNEW that Mr. Oliver knew Billy and the others were the power rangers. They weren't actually taking huge pains to be careful. Plus, he seemed pretty perceptive. I didn't know if he was also going to suspect Tommy of being the evil green ranger, but I thought he might, by default.

Finster's putty was a happy surprise. While I didn't exactly predict it like I did about Tommy's father, I did wonder if Finster was going to have a hand in helping Tommy in some way, to escape Rita. It's obvious that he cares for both Tommy and Rita, and their well being, and the spell is also obviously taking it's toll on Tommy. It stood to reason that Finster might decide helping Tommy escape was the best thing to do, and I wondered if that was going to happen.
Halfcent chapter 15 . 7/24/2015
This chapter was so freaking intense. My emotions were all over the place. I'm glad it ended on a good note, and yet I feel sorry for Tommy. I don't know if I would still feel that way if I didn't know that eventually he's on their side, and that's he is the way he is because of a spell, but I suspect I would. You write it in such a way that even knowing he's currently a 'bad guy', I still see him as a complex person and I have sympathy for him and his position.

I liked seeing Zordon in intense commander mode, so to speak, when he ordered Billy to the command center. I always thought that Zordon might be tougher than he seemed when the need might arise for it. I think Jason got off lucky, considering that he'd broken the treaty, done something he'd specifically known Zordon didn't want, but I'm glad that Zordon was able to see that under the circumstances, Jason had done what he'd felt had to be done.
Halfcent chapter 13 . 7/24/2015
Whoohoo, you go, Zack!

It got intense real quick!
Halfcent chapter 12 . 7/24/2015
I knew from the instant Billy's room mate first spoke to him that it was going to be Tommy's father. Somehow it just clicked to me that it would be the case. I feel horrible for Mr. Oliver though. That has to be a horrible feeling to not only feel forgotten by his up-to-then totally loyal son, but to also wonder and worry about him and what he's up to to keep him away, knowing that he's had a penchant for misbehavior in the past.

Ugh, Jason! Listen to Billy, damn it! I had wondered how long it was going to take one of them to start putting the pieces together. I had mild suspicions that it might be either Billy or Jason; Billy because of the bully lessons (I thought he might recognized an intimidation tactic that Tommy had taught him) or Jason because he'd recognize his fighting style or something.

I never thought I'd use this adjective to describe him, but I thought Skull was very sweet in that scene at Kim's house.

Jason is really coming into his leadership without Zordon in the background to guide, advise, permit or allow specific things. I hoped Jason was making the right choice, but I think he knows now that he didn't. Or at least that he messed it up big time.

I also hope Billy gains his confidence back enough to remain a ranger (which, if this follows the canon timeline, he should).

I think I recall by reading synopsis of your following stories that this basically follows the canon time line and events (just with much, much more added and and portrayed more maturely lol). If that's the case, then Tommy obviously recovers from this brain washing and becomes a Power Ranger with the others. Even in the show, which has sugarcoated it all, I wondered how the writers could make it seem so easy for him to just switch sides like that without consequence.

Now, however, in this story, I wonder how in the heck they could ever forgive him and learn to trust him as a team mate of theirs, after the things he's done. That would be no easy task; maybe it's Zordon's decision and not theirs, but that might be worth handing in that power coin for some of them. I know it would be for me!
Halfcent chapter 11 . 7/24/2015
This chapter was hard. While it was hard to read of Billy being beaten, physical violence at some point was likely, expected even. But I had forgotten that Tommy was getting close to Kimberly solely for the purposes of destruction. I was so PISSED at Tommy and I prayed that Trini would knock the crap out of him, so thanks for that lol. And awesome with Ernie, I love that guy. And I have to applaud Skull, also.

Bulk and Skull have always been an enigma to me. Bullies who aren't always hard, jerks who will sometimes stands up for what's right or at the very least know when something has gone too far...they are complicated, and I think deep down they are good people. I enjoy the stories that portray them being friends, of sorts, of the rangers later down the line.

Even before the end of this chapter, I had a suspicion that Tommy was going to visit Billy in the hospital, most likely as his green-clad tormentor (oh, and what a low blow that was, btw, that he wasn't even morphed when he'd beaten Billy! Nice twist!). But wow, when Jason gave him the room number, all I could do was groan. I had actually sort of wished that Jason was there because he'd heard about the party, but on the other hand...how would he have handled that? Not as a Ranger. The act was horrible but they don't yet know he's a ranger so it would have been on the level of an every day kind of jerk.
Halfcent chapter 10 . 7/24/2015
Ouch, Brutal. Poor Billy! A little-known secret, Billy is actually my favorite one. How scary for him to be in his home, and having tied up his mother! That is definitely an escalation we'd never seen before. I had actually always kind of wondered, absently, why Rita (and later Zedd) hadn't taken more drastic measures if they were really intent upon defeating the rangers. They know their identities and where they live. Sneak in at night and take their morphers, or hurt them...or worse. Or, for a less 'mature-rated' solution, advertise their real identities for a distraction. Of course, I realize that would have ruined the flow of the show lol...but it's one of those 'loopholes' the show liked to ignore for the sake of the kids watching.

This was a good chapter but this last part gave me a real chill! It was difficult to read, but only because it was that good, that realistic. Poor Billy :( This definitely ups the ante.
Halfcent chapter 9 . 7/24/2015
Poor Jason! He has had a hell of a day, and I wonder if it occurred to him that he missed detention and what the ramifications of that might be. It's also unpopular to be the leader when you have to make the unpopular choices and decisions that the others might dislike.

I loved the party scene. It really was a jovial feel to it, and I almost forgot that it was a party celebrating the battle defeat of the good guys lol. I smiled a lot, reading that, and felt their celebration. You are giving the 'bad guys' a new light, and I like that. I think I mentioned this already, but I like villains to be more than one dimensional, and you do a good job with that.

Ah, so now Tommy is beginning to remember his father. I wondered when that might happen. I have a feeling (though I will have to wait and see if I'm right) that thoughts of his father might aid in his recovery from his mind control. I've also been suspecting that the rangers might see, in Tommy's bedroom at home, the same poles that match the one Zack found in the park, and recognize it, but we'll have to see if that happens.

As a side note, one thing that I always found funny about the show, how in the world did no one every recognize voices? You'd think that at least some of the people who encountered the Rangers, those who knew them or were acquainted with them, would recognize their voices eventually, and that they would have done the same with Tommy. I always felt that was a funny but convenient inconsistency in the show.
Halfcent chapter 8 . 7/24/2015
You're hitting all the little details that were sugar coated in the show, and I love it. Things like how they balanced their personal lives with being rangers, how they covered for things that would make them seem irresponsible or ill behaved, and how they handled it when it didn't work or in the aftermath. Not to mention the missing scenes that this entire fic seems to be based on...the in-between moments of the big climaxes and how they'd handled the little details.

I also enjoy your headers of the 'things I've learned from watching Power Rangers'. They are things I've noticed and often spoken of, myself ,haha!
Halfcent chapter 7 . 7/23/2015
I like seeing Jason in 'leader mode', just as I liked seeing Zordon in command mode, and also that the others don't always agree with them (Jason and Zordon, respectively) but that the team respects Zordon and the rest of the rangers respect Jason's appointment as leader to come to terms with it, even when in disagreement. That was something that wasn't shown much of in the show.

How horrible to see their reactions in this more thorough light. I can almost feel the despair they must be experiencing.