Reviews for A Darker Shade of Green
Awesome
snowvalleytack chapter 24 . 4/16
I really loved reading your story! It was a lot of fun to read and very exciting. You are a brilliantly talented writer. Your writing has an excellent cinematic quality and I feel you write with great thought and understanding of each of the characters and their emotions. Although I am not very knowledgable of Power Rangers as I only remember a few episodes from when I was younger your excellent descriptions have made me want to revisit the show and learn more about the characters you have brought to life in your work. I really appreciate the great deal of time and effort you must have put in to this story. Great work!
VoicesOffCamera chapter 24 . 12/30/2016
Are you ready for some epic fangirling? Because that’s what’s about to happen here.

I just finished marathoning this entire story over the course of the past couple days. I haven’t been able to stop! It’s been a long time since I’ve been this enthralled with a work of fanfiction, and I loved every minute of it! What I really adored about this entire story is it is very solidly based on the events from the television show. All the major plot points in what happened are there, you didn’t try and take this is a crazy new direction or anything. You took what was already there and simply added more depth to it. I think that’s why this worked so beautifully! As someone who grew up when the show originally aired, this was exactly what I had been looking for in a fanfiction: the same storyline from the show just reworked to capture a more mature audience that wants to see more depth, risk, and consequences. Absolute perfection!

So much that I loved about this story, but I’ll just hit the highlights here or else this review will never end.

I really loved the backstory that you created for Tommy. I think it works exceptionally well, especially given the themes that you put into the story. I love that even before he’s chosen by Rita, he’s distinctly set apart from the original Rangers, having grown up very differently from them. I like that he’s not exactly a good guy, even when we first meet him. He’s a bit of a rebellious teenager with a complicated home life, but you still give us the sense that underneath all that he is in fact a good person. And the story about his parents was really unique and I think it fit in so well. It was unexpected, but the more I read about it the more it made sense with this version of Tommy. I like how it’s the mother with the crazy marital arts obsession, making the whole thing much less of a cliché.

I also love how you worked the spell that was put over Tommy. He wasn’t a mindless slave… that would have been too easy. He knew exactly what he was doing and was able to think independently… which is going to make the fallout from when he’s trying to be good again so much more complicated (which I can’t wait to really get into with the next part of this series by the way)! But more than that… it allowed you to really develop relationships between Tommy and Rita and her cronies. I think that might be what I was more fascinated about with this story. I like the mother/son complication between Tommy and Rita… but I adored how you had him create these meaningful connections with Goldar, Scorpina and Finster especially. And how that was what ultimately saved his life – how Finster cared enough about him to betray Rita in order to save him – and yet it will ultimate be what will make his life a living hell post-mind control, considering how Rita, Goldar and Scorpina feel so personally betrayed. That’s a whole new level to this storyline that I absolutely adore! Really elegantly done!

And I would be remiss if I only focused on Tommy in this review (though he is my favorite). But what you did with the other Rangers was fantastic as well! Giving them more depth and flaws… Billy struggling to feel on par with the rest of the fighters… Jason struggling with the weight of trying to lead this team while trying to balance a life outside of fighting monsters… Zack trying to keep up with Jason and often feels on the outs with his differing thought process… Trini, being quite intelligent herself but lacking the confidence to see it next to Billy… Kimberly trying to have a social life all the while trying to save the world. All these features fit in so well with what we already know about these characters!

And another one of my favorite things you did here was incorporate some real risk and consequences into this world. The Rangers don’t also shake off injuries by the end of a battle. Billy ends up in the hospital. Jason gets stabbed and almost bleeds out. Both Jason and Tommy’s injuries during their final battle (btw, I hope that comes up in the next installment when they’re trying to help Tommy get over his guilt. How Jason was so afraid that he had killed him in that final battle before they captured him. I just loved that moment and I think it would be a perfect point for them to relate to each other as they are both trying to heal). That’s what I’m really missing from rewatching the old kids show… in this story there is real risk in their battles. These are legit life and death situations that they have to deal with. And more than that, mentally trying to deal with the fact that they are finally finding out that they are not indestructible. That they really could die in one of these battles.

Okay, I’m going to wrap this up mostly because this is going to be about two pages in my word document as it is (suddenly wondering if there’s a max word count for reviews…) but one more point I’d like to make. I have to admit that as much as I loved this story as a whole, I was an eensy, teeny, wittle bit let down when they finally broke Tommy’s spell. I get what you were doing with his reaction upon realizing the spell was broken, and it’s not that it didn’t work within the story… just as a personal preference I was hoping for more drama there. Maybe a reaction from the other Rangers when he loses consciousness that final time, afraid that they had killed him by severing the tie he had been so desperately clinging to. Certainly more of a reaction from Tommy at feeling the weight of what he had done (you mentioned in your author’s note in the very first chapter having him get physically ill when the spell is broken… I was hoping for something along those lines when we finally got to that point). Again, the way you presented it with him basically going into shock was definitely a believable outcome… this is just a personal preference kind of observation.

Okay, I could go on forever about how much I loved this story, but I won’t bore you with more of my gushing, haha. I was so happy to find this story, I’ve been reading the new comic books which I’ve been very much enjoying, but as I have to wait a whole month between installments I went looking for something to fill the void between issues, haha. Again, WONDERFUL job with this and I am off to jump into the next story in the series!
Guest chapter 19 . 10/17/2016
EFFING EPICC. I FEEL. THE. HYPE.
*internally screams in excitement* what a wonderful chapter. action packed and with lots of heart. the struggle was real, this battle was a tough one for everyone. ah my heart went out to kaplan and bulk and ah just everyone, even to finster too. but oh no the conflict isn't over yet (HYPEE).
anothersignalman chapter 4 . 7/4/2016
This is brilliantly written. The final scene reminds me of a quote from Yes, Minister - "You have to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back."
ObsessedwReading chapter 5 . 8/14/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction.
ObsessedwReading chapter 4 . 8/14/2015
Wonderfully written. :)
ObsessedwReading chapter 3 . 8/13/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction. :-)
ObsessedwReading chapter 2 . 8/13/2015
Fantastic chapter and fanfiction.
ObsessedwReading chapter 1 . 8/13/2015
Wonderfully written. :)
Halfcent chapter 16 . 7/24/2015
Ha, I knew it! Somehow I just KNEW that Mr. Oliver knew Billy and the others were the power rangers. They weren't actually taking huge pains to be careful. Plus, he seemed pretty perceptive. I didn't know if he was also going to suspect Tommy of being the evil green ranger, but I thought he might, by default.

Finster's putty was a happy surprise. While I didn't exactly predict it like I did about Tommy's father, I did wonder if Finster was going to have a hand in helping Tommy in some way, to escape Rita. It's obvious that he cares for both Tommy and Rita, and their well being, and the spell is also obviously taking it's toll on Tommy. It stood to reason that Finster might decide helping Tommy escape was the best thing to do, and I wondered if that was going to happen.
Halfcent chapter 15 . 7/24/2015
This chapter was so freaking intense. My emotions were all over the place. I'm glad it ended on a good note, and yet I feel sorry for Tommy. I don't know if I would still feel that way if I didn't know that eventually he's on their side, and that's he is the way he is because of a spell, but I suspect I would. You write it in such a way that even knowing he's currently a 'bad guy', I still see him as a complex person and I have sympathy for him and his position.

I liked seeing Zordon in intense commander mode, so to speak, when he ordered Billy to the command center. I always thought that Zordon might be tougher than he seemed when the need might arise for it. I think Jason got off lucky, considering that he'd broken the treaty, done something he'd specifically known Zordon didn't want, but I'm glad that Zordon was able to see that under the circumstances, Jason had done what he'd felt had to be done.
Halfcent chapter 13 . 7/24/2015
Whoohoo, you go, Zack!

It got intense real quick!
Halfcent chapter 12 . 7/24/2015
I knew from the instant Billy's room mate first spoke to him that it was going to be Tommy's father. Somehow it just clicked to me that it would be the case. I feel horrible for Mr. Oliver though. That has to be a horrible feeling to not only feel forgotten by his up-to-then totally loyal son, but to also wonder and worry about him and what he's up to to keep him away, knowing that he's had a penchant for misbehavior in the past.

Ugh, Jason! Listen to Billy, damn it! I had wondered how long it was going to take one of them to start putting the pieces together. I had mild suspicions that it might be either Billy or Jason; Billy because of the bully lessons (I thought he might recognized an intimidation tactic that Tommy had taught him) or Jason because he'd recognize his fighting style or something.

I never thought I'd use this adjective to describe him, but I thought Skull was very sweet in that scene at Kim's house.

Jason is really coming into his leadership without Zordon in the background to guide, advise, permit or allow specific things. I hoped Jason was making the right choice, but I think he knows now that he didn't. Or at least that he messed it up big time.

I also hope Billy gains his confidence back enough to remain a ranger (which, if this follows the canon timeline, he should).

I think I recall by reading synopsis of your following stories that this basically follows the canon time line and events (just with much, much more added and and portrayed more maturely lol). If that's the case, then Tommy obviously recovers from this brain washing and becomes a Power Ranger with the others. Even in the show, which has sugarcoated it all, I wondered how the writers could make it seem so easy for him to just switch sides like that without consequence.

Now, however, in this story, I wonder how in the heck they could ever forgive him and learn to trust him as a team mate of theirs, after the things he's done. That would be no easy task; maybe it's Zordon's decision and not theirs, but that might be worth handing in that power coin for some of them. I know it would be for me!
Halfcent chapter 11 . 7/24/2015
This chapter was hard. While it was hard to read of Billy being beaten, physical violence at some point was likely, expected even. But I had forgotten that Tommy was getting close to Kimberly solely for the purposes of destruction. I was so PISSED at Tommy and I prayed that Trini would knock the crap out of him, so thanks for that lol. And awesome with Ernie, I love that guy. And I have to applaud Skull, also.

Bulk and Skull have always been an enigma to me. Bullies who aren't always hard, jerks who will sometimes stands up for what's right or at the very least know when something has gone too far...they are complicated, and I think deep down they are good people. I enjoy the stories that portray them being friends, of sorts, of the rangers later down the line.

Even before the end of this chapter, I had a suspicion that Tommy was going to visit Billy in the hospital, most likely as his green-clad tormentor (oh, and what a low blow that was, btw, that he wasn't even morphed when he'd beaten Billy! Nice twist!). But wow, when Jason gave him the room number, all I could do was groan. I had actually sort of wished that Jason was there because he'd heard about the party, but on the other hand...how would he have handled that? Not as a Ranger. The act was horrible but they don't yet know he's a ranger so it would have been on the level of an every day kind of jerk.