Reviews for Sappho's Muse
Paradoxalpoised chapter 3 . 9/20/2010
I really liked this chapter. The whole half threat half seducing speech was a delight. This lady Melissa is quite something despite her young age, it felt like Sappho was defenseless.

The end of the chapter was really fun, I didn't expect Tri to actually insult Sappho.

So, tell me, if you so wish, have you lost your enthusiasm for this story ? I see it's been out there for a year and you have not written any more, what's the matter?

I mean, I might not have imagined a Greek woman of the Era before Christ say "fuck off" to any one, but your story is nice and it flows, with the right amount of humor, budding romance, angst and tragic plot.

C.

Post Scriptum: "Are you stupid because you're rich? Or were you born that way? Or did you have to work at it?" that was delectable, I loved it and the ridiculous squeak it made come out of me.

PSs: If you ever tell anyone publicly that I squeaked, I'll deny it with French defiance.
Paradoxalpoised chapter 2 . 9/20/2010
I forgot to say hello earlier.

Hello,

I liked the whole interaction with the merchant, it was interesting to see how Sappho handled him. Zeno is the one that makes me the most curious, for now, he is quite skilled for an accountant.

Why did all the people of the market didn't pay attention to Tri being freed? Somehow I don't think that freeing slaves was all that common at the time.

I appreciated the little hints of hesitation, anticipation and hope you placed in Sappho and I am anxious to see how you will let their relationship unfold.

Paradoxalpoised chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
So you are taking liberties with Greek Mythology, and I am interested.

You set the story gently, and I did like the mother-daughter interactions. Will we see the defiant slave again ? Let's hope so. I am very curious about why you have an accountant in your story, I really don't have a clue, yet.

SO you have a liking for German, and foreign languages I am guessing. My German is a bit rusty, but I am surprised to say the least to hear some on Lesbos Island.

By the way, it's le réveil when used as a noun, réveille is the verb in the present tense imperative form. I could go on and explain to you that it's actually a transtive verb and how you add se in front of it but then you might get lost and I'd really be showing off.

A propos, it's what you get for calling me a "cute little French girl", oh and what was I doing, oh right "scolding you"...

Anyway, on to the next chapter.

ScOut4It chapter 3 . 3/2/2010
Ah, just as the plot thickens/begins to get real interesting you pause. I like this seemingly airheaded serpent, she is vicious and I applaud her, "here here!" So... you know I'm currently more caught up in your Rosalie/Bella story, but I'd not be opposed to reading more of this one too ;) Thanks for breathing some life back into Sappho, she is such a tragic historical icon for us girls, it's so sad about her 'lost' writings.
Black Fang 02 chapter 2 . 2/23/2010
My favorite thing about this chapter was her effortless destruction af the merchant. She might as well have actually said the words but her subtlety just made it all the more obvious that he was out of his league.

I like Tri's indomitable pride. The way she handles the people around her just makes me laugh. By the way, I failed to mention this last chapter, but you have great grammar.
Black Fang 02 chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Ok. I simply love the amount of detail in this chapter. I have an active imagination and who I see when I read stories does not resemble anyone I've ever seen before. My mind creates their clothes their surroundings everything about them. When you write I feel as if I'm standing just out of view in the streets watching this take place or that I'm an observer in Sappho's mind just watching from her point of view.

I love the emotions she shows; her passion, curiosity, Grief, shock, and her tenderness. I love the fact that she cares enough about her daughter's feelings to fudge the truth just a little bit. I hope your style never changes.
GothicPheonix chapter 3 . 1/22/2010
At first Lady Melissa seemed like Alice...but now...I just do NOT like her after her tone about whose guards could take whose X( And then...she throws me off again, and I have no idea how to regard her 0_o She's wise...but her threats somehow also take a seductive edge to them...very off-putting. Very interesting. Oh, I think you'll like this comic; I have to catch up on it again but here:

Huh, did you get this mythology from a certain book, because if so I'd LOVE to read it...huh. I think this is actually an original fic; not crossover so you should also put this on . I'm there as well :)
GothicPheonix chapter 2 . 1/22/2010
Love this:

As we walked toward the center of the market I asked Zeno, casually, what he had told the merchant.

“Oh, nothing, m'lady,” he said easily, his voice smiling, “nothing you need concern yourself with. I just told him some good places where he could invest his earnings, and that he may wish to make that investment soon.”

“What kind of investments did you suggest, Zeno?” I had learned to connect news-worthy events going on in the isle to that smirk in his voice.

“Oh, there's some good wine worth drinking tonight, you know, before any unfortunate ...”

I cut him off. “I don't want to hear about any 'accidental' deaths tonight, Zeno.”

“Oh, you won't hear about it, m'lady.” He smiled evilly.

“Zeno,” I put as much venom as I could into my voice, “no killings.”

Hmm...reminds me a bit of an Eager Emmett for a fight...or a VERY sadistic Jane :) Man I love Mythology and i LOVED it Freshman year English...we never did talk much about Sappho...and I've yet to read her poems but I LOVE her nonetheless :) And I'm sorry if I am comparing with some twilight characters..don't know if this is actually a crossover but: Tri...her attitude so far reminded me of the regal Rosalie...and wow I don't know HOW you typed in those characters but this makes it even more ..'pure' 'true' I'm not sure whatto say...but I do love this a lot :)
GothicPheonix chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
This is amazing...and apparently you are crossovering this with Twilight? Oh boy...when the gals collide; goddesses, vampires, humans, Sappho :) This is going to be great XD
massrie chapter 3 . 1/3/2010
I find I do not like the Lady Melissa at all. I find her boorish and rude. I do not like bullies I suppose, and she strikes me as one. Or Perhaps more in the line of a selfish BRAT. Ugh!

Poor Sappho. We've all had days where nothing has gone right for us, but I do suspect that generally, not many of our days are as wretched as hers was.

Tri, however, continually amuses me. I love Bluntness and openness. I enjoy the sound of laughter caused by snarky and well thought out insults and barbs.
massrie chapter 2 . 1/3/2010
A hand can be measured by turning your own hand sideways and taping off the width of it. Its generally 4 inches on most people and how we, horsewomen, measure our horses.

This girl, Tri, though I'm sure I much prefer White Rose is extremely interesting to me. I find myself wishing to know her likes and dislikes, why she came to be a slave and what possessed her to show such dignity and even willingness to continue on in a household she knows nothing about.
massrie chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
I do believe that I like Sappho's Character, but that of the slave girl interests me in so many more ways. Defiant, proud, and even bored with her captivity? Willing to meet a man on equal ground, even if he was not viewed as an equal. This sounds like an amazing woman.

I do hope in the future she will find her way into the setting, or indeed the household of Sappho.
Avarenda chapter 3 . 11/28/2009
Oh wow.

I gotta say I'm impressed. The whole conversation between Sapphos and Melissa was very engaging.

You have a very firm grasp of political intrigue and you've caught my attention solidly.

You managed to answer some of my questions from the previous chapters, but many things are still up in the air.

I love how blunt Tri is. 'Are you stupid?' it does bring up a very relevant question. P I am very satisfied, and i look forward to seeing where this is headed.
Avarenda chapter 2 . 11/28/2009
Hah! Sappho gave that merchant the beat down. I gotta say i love it when jerks get put in their place.

You are very good at portraying (and explaining) the culture without getting boring or overbearing.

For example, the price at which the merchant set the price for Tri, and then the way in which Sapphos insults him back by paying him almost eight times the asking price. Although, i gotta say, she's a horrible bargainer. I suppose that back then, pride was more important then money, so i can understand the gesture.

I'm trying to figure out what Sapphos is trying to prove by buying Tri for an unreasonable price and then setting her free? In some ways, (if Tri hadn't decided to follow her) it might have been a worse fate then slavery. At least as a slave she's guaranteed food and shelter. On the streets, she would have neither, and would probably STILL be subject to the dangers of being raped or worse. She might have even been subjected to slavery...again. No one would be around to dispute it, even if Sappho's has the ownership paper.

Considering the times, i have to come to the conclusion that Sappho's is just a bit foolish, and perhaps not the best lady of the house if she so frivolously throws away 150 drachma.

However, i shall suspend judgment because i do not yet know all the circumstances prevalent throughout the story.
Avarenda chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
So far i like what you got, although i must admit, anyone who is unfamiliar with mythology would be thoroughly confused.

Thankfully i am not one of those people. So far it appears as if you have many Twilight characters under different names.

Also, i liked the Germanic references to the Valkyrie. It was amusing that Achillies thought she was a Valkyrie while Theseus was convinced she was an angel.

I have no trouble figuring out who is who, but i want to suggest that you might want to make it clear which character's are represented by whom. Perhaps in the A/N before the beginning of the chapter for other reader's who aren't quite as clear on the subject.

Otherwise, it's all good. Keep it up.