Reviews for For Want of Love
Ormolu chapter 1 . 3/24
Gory, dark and crazy.

I always wondered why JKR seems to love her stalkers. James is famous of course, but really, Snape is worse. Then there is the whole Tonks/Lupin situation, although he arguably doesn't think him a stalker.

And in fanfic, it is worse.

You, however, wrung the neck of this particular cliche quite thoroughly. That I applaud.
EchoDeltaNine chapter 1 . 9/7/2011
Holy cow! This was so intense! Very well written, but jeeze! Violent much? haha, good job; it was a view of the MalfoyxWeasley interactions that I've never thought to see, and it was a very good read :)
Icicle Streams chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
Dude... it was interesting first half, with Scorpius's delusional paragraph leading to him being a stalker. The tone of the first paragraph was well set up for the next part. But the ending? I have to admit, I was like 'What the HECK just happened?' A bit OOC I'm afraid... everyone was so cold and ruthless towards Draco, whose son just died at the hands of their own child. It seemed unrealistic the way it played out, especially given that Mcgonagall, Harry, Ron and Hermione are presented as quite morally good and caring in the books... I understand the self-defense in face of stalking, but there would definitely be repercussions for that. I think it'd be interesting if you wrote more, exploring the different emotions and outcomes of these tragic circumstances, instead of leaving it with the, what I found, slightly abrupt ending. But it was quite well written, especially the first paragraph
drcjsnider chapter 1 . 11/7/2010
Wow... sick twist on the Romeo/Juliet trope that has become so common in rose/scorpius stories. Great way to throw all assumptions end-over-end.
X59 chapter 1 . 9/14/2010
disturbing as hell.

So in the end Astoria is to blame for feeding her son's delusions.

I'll admit that I'm disgusted with McGonagall.

A student of hers died and all she can say is that he deserved it.

Rose could of easily stunned Scorpius instead of ending his life, and instead of being punished she is the right?

I'll admit that I've been stalked but she knowingly and willingly killed him.

The precious chosen one even provided her with the means and feels no regret.

Wonder how Harry become cold hearted.

In the end I have to agree with everything that fellow reviewer Coconut Girl said.
Nongarak chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
Hoshit, that's crazy. Don't think I've ever read something where this happens. Like, with anyone. Wow. Good story, though. Very nice job.
verity candor chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Hm... I thought it was a really interesting idea. Gory, of course, dark, slightly terrifying. But I think the end was a bit strange... with Hermione... I dunno if she would immediately turn and go for Draco... after he has just lost his son, and umm, she would be more considerate? The poor kid is dead. But - until the very last sentence, I will confess to being completely captivated by the story and the writing!
Bowles chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
I think all my thoughts have been stated by previous reviewers, as I thought on one hand the premise behind the story was brilliant but on the other hand the execution, particularly with characterization, wasn't up to snuff for such a strong premise. I think the ending with Hermione was sort of ridiculous, as you know, Draco's son has kind of been murdered by her daughter.
tambrathegreat chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Okay, so I had to check out the story that received such a scathing review. I can see where the person came from, especially if they had never been stalked themselves. As a victim of such 'attention' from a young man when I was younger, I can understand completely the reaction Rose had to Scorpius. That being said, I think the story was thought provoking and more than a little bit controversial. It's a case of what ifs... What if Draco had done what was recommended instead of what his wife wanted? What if Harry hadn't been so careless of his personal notes? What if the Weasleys had taken more of a stance on the situation? This story was well told, and quite illustrative of what could have been. I liked it.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
I still say this should be continued... but totally feel free to disregard me, as I'm the queen of unfinished works ;-D

I think, more than anything, people are going to have mixed reactions to the unique plot and the reworking of Scorpius and Rose (which seems rather canonical these days.) However, I definitely think this setup is just begging for more, but you've really crafted a sinister rethinking of the ship. Twisted and slightly gory. There's like a thousand questions running through my head all about this work.

And your exposition is so, SO good-particularly since you strike just the right tone at the beginning from Scor's POV.

Great work, Sara.
respitechristopher chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
Ridiculously wonderful. I love the moral ambiguity - no, I *adore* the moral ambiguity. There's no resolution here; and in a story about dead teenagers, there really ought not be any resolution. No one wins, no one comes out on top, no one even looks any better than the other.

How much did Rose goad Scorpius on? How much did Draco and Astoria coddle Scorpius through denial? Should Harry have let a teenager into his books? What did McGonagall, Ron or Hermione know?

Love it. Love the darkness, love the turning the cliche on its head. Brava.
Coconut Girl chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
I wasn't going to review, but I really felt compelled to. My sense of justice and right and wrong wouldn't let this go. This was an interesting story up to the point where McGonagall made herself judge and jury. I'm sorry but there would be an investigation conducted both on Harry and Rose. Harry's actions could be construed as gross negligence. It would be akin to leaving a loaded hand gun unlocked and laying about for children to play with. He would either be dismissed, suspended or severely reprimanded by the powers that be for extreme carelessness with such a potentially deadly weapon. He may even be held partly responsible for Scorpius' death.

And yes, there were extenuating circumstances, but just because he was stalking her does not give Rose the right to take matters into her own hands and kill him. It was not spur of the moment. It was premeditated because she researched the spells and plotted to murder another student. In the real world this would lead to a first degree murder charge. She cannot instantly be absolved because of who she is and who her family is. It may have been self defense but she took a life and you better believe the Ministry would demand a full investigation into the matter regardless of who the parties involved were. A student died. A student DIED! McGonagall could and would be canned for dismissing such an occurrence. She herself may even be tried before the Wizengamot for trying to cover up a death in the school.

Harry was really, really out of character. Harry, being so devout to justice and the plight of others, would easily fall victim to his own guilt. He would not be shooting Draco glares. He'd be wallowing in misery and self reproach for allowing a young person... a child at that to die because of his own recklessness. I think he'd feel horrible regardless of what Draco's son did to earn himself such a fate. And McGonagall was being incredibly callous toward the Malfoys' feelings. Their son just DIED! And she up and basically says "Well he had it coming and you have no legal recourse". You better believe they have legal recourse. They have it in spades. Their child died while in her care. She's basically up sh*t creek without a paddle.

I don't mean to be so harsh, but the ending really got my goat. And not in a "this is so intriguing and clever" kind of way. It would have been a far more interesting story if you would have let it play out realistically. Let everyone face the consequences. Let McGonagall go under review and maybe lose her position. Let Harry be thoroughly investigated by the Ministry and then punished. Let Rose and possibly Harry as well stand trial. Let Draco mourn the loss of his only child without being told he and his family got their just desserts. Instead, it turned into a lame story about how the super trio and their offspring cannot be touched and the big, bad Malfoys need to be punished.