Reviews for Snowbird Triumphant
FraserMage chapter 6 . 11/4/2009
This Demi-Precentor reminds me of John Sheridan.

Someone standing up for his principles at the probable cost of his life and risk of being called a traitor.

You have introduced a Comstar character I like... damn...
Jayson chapter 5 . 10/12/2009
So we finally get under way! Good to see you've got it going again.

The only problem I see here is that there are the signs of a communication breakdown beginning with the Falcons. Nobody seems to know what they're doing- the heat of combat is no place to have questions about what your order means. Notice how one word can have two different meanings to two different people.

The battle is still a toss-up to me- I don't really see any other advantages to either side, and the fighting hasn't started in earnest. But it's kind of strange that the Falcons haven't disbanded the 133rd, after all the problems they had with it.
the Reader chapter 5 . 10/12/2009
Look who's back. :)

Looking forward to the next installment.
SulliMike23 chapter 5 . 10/11/2009
Oh boy...the Snowbirds are in for one hell of a fight against these Jade Falcons.
MosinM38 chapter 4 . 8/19/2009

I KNEW I shoulda fav-author listed you. I been checking the "M" section alot, then sorta quite when I got busy (And nothing new ever showed up there).

Good so far! Excellent _Timing out" for Felissana and Bien, very interesting. Sorta new to Btech (Well not really, but not alot of actual liuterature), so I never heard, the "Phantom mech" must be something oddball? I know it was mentioned in "Thewobblyguy" stories.

I love the interaction,etc. All as excellent as the first ones :)

I will agree that it seems a dis-proportionate number of "Toughs" are women, but not exceedingly so, like the "Honor Harrington" books. Even though they seem to be a majority, you still write it well and don't overdo it :D
RougeBaron chapter 4 . 8/18/2009
Brunn, Schonbrunn... man is that screwed up. I'm curious how Calla actually gave his order so the GDL received it wrong.

I have the same problem with sourcebooks and novels. I used novels as the basis to write, and received flaks from fans that read only sourcebooks and TRO's. I wished FASA were a bit more consistent.
Kat Wylder chapter 4 . 8/17/2009
This chapter is definitely one of the most suspenseful yet-even though we all know [more or less] how it ends. The play between the three units is definitely keeping things exciting, especially with Cavell Malthus back in the story. He's definitely a well-rounded character, and even a tad sympathetic at times.
Panzerfaust 150 chapter 4 . 8/17/2009
Abraham Chi-Li Joachim Peiper?

Liked the fact that confusion reigns in the planning process, and I do see the Waterloo parallels. Trouble is, in this era of aerial and sat recon, one can find it more difficult to steal a march on someone...but not impossible...bad weather perhaps? Also, remember the GDL did go in a bit overconfident in their first engagement with the Clans on Sudeten. It was their landhold and they had for once, superior numbers. (I've got both the book and scenario packs for Blood of Heroes at home).

As for Todd, tips of the spear often get blunted, but if anyone is up to the task of running a potential meeting engagement, it's him. I just hope he's not got a majority of heavy/assaults when he does show up, or the clans will just "haul ass and bypass"...
Jayson chapter 4 . 8/17/2009
Jade Falcon comes calling, and the Snowbirds are busy in the Combine. Honestly, it was only a matter of time before they got irritated enough to make a move.

I wouldn't believe for one second that there aren't some personal reasons as to why the attack was ordered- let's face it, whatever worth the planet may have, there's gotta be some element that wants to get the Sentinels- and the Snowbirds especially- back for all the defeats and humiliations they've had to take because of that one group of Mechs.

But yeah, this is going to be a tough fight. The Falcons are going to have the advantage of being on the ground, and even if you're fighting in your own backyard, it makes a difference. How many Mechwarriors expect to have to deal with their home planet's terrain from an invader's point of view?
Panzerfaust 150 chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
Ignore comments about "Men of Harlech" from earlier review...I had a senior 35 no less...
RougeBaron chapter 3 . 8/12/2009
Reader: maybe the right word is "masochism" LOL. No, I'm just kidding.

I think the Snowbird series is refreshing and enjoyable because the main characters are women, good and bad. Sheila's nemesis was Senefa before the latter decided to join the good guys. Then there's Athena. After that, there's Cruella - wait, that's another story. Of course, there are men getting killed by women along the way, but the main confrontation is always woman vs woman. There's nothing fetish or gay about liking strong women.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Cavel Malthus will be overcome and killed by the strong women (or by Reader's own word: "fetished")
Same Reader chapter 3 . 8/12/2009
It was definitely not a troll posting on my part.

There are some good aspects and some not so good aspects to your story telling. First the good. You are an incredible writer. You have great attention to detail and you can make combat come alive for this grizzly old combat vet. In my head I can see the machines fighting it out, the field alive with combat and the military humor is close to what one sees in the service. The officers; good & bad seem real. Your NCOs aren't as much of a presence as they are in today’s militaries - but great armies through the centuries have been built on the backs of good NCOs. Maybe NCOs aren’t a presence because mechwarriors are more like fighter pilots rather than your army/marine helo pilots.

Now, something from someone who's seen the white elephant and lived with it. I've spent most of my life in the service. I've seen plenty of butterbars turn into oak leaves and eagles. I can tell you what the difference between a 20 something butterbar wet behind the ears and a grizzled experienced officer with solid experience under his belt. I’ve seen thousands of 19 years olds and none of them were either ready or experienced enough to lead with twin bars on their shoulders. Your 19 year old heroine makes me laugh every time you mention her age. To me your character is 29 – that kind of experience comes from being there – not some hotshot out of the academy. The greatest tacticians and strategists in history have all been at their peak once they’ve come to age. You’re writing an older woman onto a child.

All of your hero characters that drive the story are women who beat their male antagonists each time in rather brutal ways (the clanner woman being the exception) – the only predominant males are either lovers, dads or villains. The primary being sideshow Max who’s there to wipe your heroine’s tears and bed her. Maybe the gender situation changes in the 31st century, but if you’ve ever been in a modern unit; the realism of your stories is moot at best. As a result your stuff reads like the Xena lesbo stuff on tv rather than real war… which itself is serious sh*t.

Anyway that’s this old crusty bastard’s opinion, these are your stories and you characters – this is only my opinion and I wish you well with your writing.
Kat Wylder chapter 3 . 8/12/2009
A bittersweet ending indeed. It's nice to see all the survivors getting a bit of a mention. My, this has been a long-running series. Any plans to compile it to a PDF or some such thing?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
Panzerfaust 150 chapter 3 . 8/12/2009
Good to see you posting again. I liked what happened with Felisanna. After Toriyama, I don't think she had anything left to give. The chapter with Morgan Kell was one of the best you ever wrote. I don't know if you'd agree with this, but the "Phantom 'Mech" ability strikes me as an extreme form of PTSD. Considering what Felisanna was going through, I'd say it was somewhat inevitable. Sadly, I know a lot more about PTSD due to the recent unpleasantness (Stepfather and a few buddies having been downrange). I guess, in the end, the only consolation she gets is that she did what she had to do.

By the way, one minor nit, in the story "9/11/3064", you had Mayasa sing "Men of Harlech" at the Smoke Jags during the siege. Maybe I am a sucker for such things, but can you at least allude to it?
Reader chapter 2 . 8/6/2009
You really have a fetish with women overcoming and killing stronger men dont you...
51 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »