Reviews for Strength in Weakness
lil silver fish chapter 1 . 9/24/2012
Thank God for friends like that. They won't let us lie to them but they won't think less of us. They'll remind us what's important. "tell me, have I lost a friend?"
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 12/9/2011
Aww, poor Watson, good thing Holmes was there for him.
98Shaddowolff98 chapter 1 . 2/9/2011
Awww! Great one-shot thing! :D
Isis the Sphinx chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
Now, I was expecting something on Holmes' opium difficulty, but this was a pleasant(or maybe not? Depends on POV) surprise. Looking forward to more. Keep writing!
Vining chapter 1 . 11/10/2009
Another gem here. You're really outdoing yourself. :-)

"Do you know how weak a man I am? Do you even realize how easily I might be brought down? Why, Watson? Tell me why? How could you be ashamed…to tell me?”

One of my favorite lines. We all know Holmes's vices...and you told us of a potential one of Watson's so well, had me on the edge of my seat! The power of friendship indeed.
medcat chapter 1 . 10/1/2009
Read this before but I see I've not reviewed it. Beautiful, perfectly written, and so true...:)

Thanks for a lovely read and re-read! ;)

Cat
Monty Twain chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
I'm adding this to my favourites. It's beautiful... Makes me so happy despite the angst! I love Holmes in this one, and his reaction to Watson. A really nice read, well done!
reflekshun chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
Wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. Please post again soon.
putmoneyinthypursenotsignedin chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Oh, I love this. I loved the line "I watched the shadows swing around slowly and listened to the clock ticking in my blood." I also like the irritability in Watson's responses - not out of the realm of possibility, I think, and nice to see a sharper side of W's mild personality... certainly believable in the circumstances. I liked the reference to 'the races', and the frustration with the locking-up of the pocketbook. Also like SH's oblique reference to his own addiction, no less destructive than W's.

I like HOlmes in this:

“All right, then,” Holmes said quietly, stepping back. “Go on your walk. But when you’re back, I want an answer to this question.”

“What—what question?” I asked, wiping at my eyes.

“How have I lost my friend?”

Ouch! So poignant, the question. So poignant in that it doesn't ask "have I lost him?" but "HOW have I lost him?"

Love W's reaction to this:

The stick clattered to the floor. I stooped to pick it up, but once I had bent my knees I felt too weary to straighten back up; I sank to the floor, leaning my head against the wall. A halting sigh escaped me in installments, (nicely done!) and I closed my eyes. “I can answer your question already, Holmes. He’s...he…spent himself to ruin.”

(Wow! Another amazing, amazing line. So final, so vulnerable. I love it.)

“How so?” Holmes’s voice came near my ear, and I felt him kneeling close by.

(Aw!)

And the last line: that he feels 'free as a cloud' after unburdening himself, letting Holmes carry hiim. Not a side of them we often see, but you write it well and very believably.
KCS chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Oh, poor Watson. *hugs him* It's all perfectly natural the way you've put it, isn't it? Something any of us would do.

I find it intriguing that neither Holmes nor Watson mention Holmes's own vice by name here. Intentional not bringing it up by Holmes? I have to wonder if Watson's admittance of the fault and finally admitting he needs help wouldn't be a bit guilt-inducing over the cocaine problem. Very intricate, and very interesting psychology here.

And of course, the whole thing flows so perfeclty naturally. I remain amazed at how you can take an everyday situation and make it shine in an unforgettable snapshot.
DraejonSoul chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Odd how the human mind works, doesn't it? That in our moments of weakness, we are so overwhelmed by it, we don't see other people's struggles, that their troubles are smaller compared to our own; yet it usually would be otherwise. It's just interesting to note that neither of them brought up a certain detective's weakness. Being masterful and all, Holmes perhaps might have forgotten that little fact at the time, or found conviction in his words from his own experience. Easier said than done, eh, Mr. Holmes? But I like this small display of his humanity.
Daughter of Thranduil chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
This is a very interesting story. I would never have pictured Watson as a compulsive gambler, but you make it work very well!

And nice reference to the fact that Watson's chequebook is locked up in Holmes's desk drawer!

A great read!