Reviews for Truth Be Told
lindahoyland chapter 3 . 8/7/2009
Another lovely chapter.

I liked the lesson in patience for Eowyn and Deoric's symbolic drawing of branches and and fruitfulness is everywhere.

I love the wonderful blue in old paintings too!
Calenlass Greenleaf1 chapter 3 . 8/6/2009
Finally I found someone who lies to doodle vines and leaves. :P I do that often, if I have an unneeded blank paper that looks like it should have a border.

Being a bit of an art lover, I liked the detail you put into explaining him painting, with the colors, etc.

Great chapter. I won't be around for the next two weeks, but I'll read them when I get back. :)

Cal
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 8/1/2009
A delightful chapter. I loved the banter between the friends, the idea of hiding the ribbons and the adorable cat!

I cannot paint to save my life so Deoric is doing well.
AC2 chapter 2 . 8/1/2009
Absolutely brilliant fluff, romance and angst all rolled deftly into one neat package! The characters leap off the page, and seem to be real, rather than imaginary.

The scenes where Deoric is learning to paint and discovers it is a different matter to drawing show the amount of personal experience you have with this - when a writer clearly knows what she is on about but weaves it as finely into the text as you have, it makes the scene seem more real. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have grown to love Deoric as a character, forgetting that he's your own OC. Great stuff!

Niggles:

“I hope I’ll be able to help [at all],” said Déoric.

She took after her grandmother, who [had come] came from Dunland.

If I [am not] don't get[ting] rid of them, they will kill my roses

“Write it down with the magpie[comma] then.”

The ginger cat [had awoken] woke and stretched in the lazy, self-absorbed way of cats.

Déoric would in all likelihood still have been pining for Fana

Déoric would probably still be pining for Fana
Morthoron chapter 2 . 7/29/2009
And is Deoric aware of three point perspective and foreshortening? In other words, is he pre- or post-Giotto? I had always wondered about Middle-earth art, and whether it would be iconistic like the early Middle-ages, or more anachronistic to the medieval millieu - given the several millenia of Elvish art available for mortals' perusal.

The ribbon contest was interesting (particularly the fifty that were hidden ;P) - do the ribbons have significance in real folklore? They seem vaguely familiar.
Calenlass Greenleaf1 chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
As usual, I love the descriptions and the way things in this chapter seem to flow together. I look forward to the next one. :)

Cal
Ayana-llama chapter 1 . 7/27/2009
Hey this is an awesome start to this story. I can't wait to read more! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Morthoron chapter 1 . 7/25/2009
I enjoyed Faramir's introspective insect anology. Psychologically speaking, do you really think Faramir would indentify more with bees?

The interplay between Deoric and Fana was well done. Obviously newlyweds. ;P

Perhaps you should consider changing the term 'coloured powders' to 'painter's pigments' with a nice description of various medieval painters' media (they worked mostly with egg-tempura, and their pigments were, among others, iron, lead, verdigris, lamp black, woad, etc.). I don't know if you've considered it, but having Deoric experiment with pigments may be a fascinating addition to your tale, adding yet another layer to your usual fastidious descriptions (like earlier with the wonderful detail you gave regarding the scrivener's art). I know some online early Middle-age treatises I can direct you to, if you wish.

Excellent start, m'dear.
AC2 chapter 1 . 7/25/2009
Beautiful work, as usual. It seems you are getting more into the nitty gritty of human life, and describing the intimacies of human relationships more than you did before. That's a good thing, as it gets us closer to the characters. I was surprised to see you do it, but it's appropriate and tastefully done.

I like the progression of Deoric as a man and as a writer and artist. He's growing in evry way, and you have captured the various aspects of his character perfectly.

Niggles:

the missing leg should be no hindrance if [only] a suitable saddle was crafted.

But all his urging was in vain[,] until he received support from an unexpected quarter.

Déoric made his way up the stairS, all sixty-seven steps of [it] THEM.

I [have been] was sketching at the market place last week.
aboutawar chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
An auspicious beginning! I cannot wait to read more!

Let me just say that reuniting with all these vibrant characters has truly made my day. Wonderful!

Here's hoping for a quick update! )

Until then,

Lairiel
Lady Bluejay chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
Lovely.

I really enjoy this different look at Life in Edoras. You have created believable and likeable characters. LBJ
Charli800 chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
I love these characters so much that I think yo might have written anything about them and I would have enjoyed it! It is good to see that Deoric is more comfortable with Eomer now. It shows the progress he made in The Measure of a Man well. I also enjoyed seeing how his relationship with Fana has changed and grown now that they are married. It's interesting that she seems to initiate much of their interaction.

Deoric has two happy challenges before him now; I suspect that something must go wrong too, though, before the plot will reveal itself completely. There is a very pleasant sense of anticipation in that thought.

The pond skater seems analogous to the lizard in 'Measure of a Man' and I will be looking out for it in future chapters. I'm not sure what it symbolises yet, although it's many legs provide a sad contrast to Deoric's lack thereof. The bees also seem somewhat familiar, but I can't quite place them.

Faramir's musings stand in stark contrast to the pleasant view of Ithilien we saw at the end of 'Measure of a Man'. It will be interesting to see how that develops; I do not think it will be a problem that Deoric faces, but, as he recognises, he has grown a lot as a person. I suppose I will have to wait for the next chapter to see.

Nitpicks:

"Consider the pond skater. On his long legs, barely thicker than a hair" - 'legs' should be matched with a plural 'hairs'

"In Dirlayn’s tiny garden, potatoes, beans and marrows were ready for harvest." - I'm not sure about this, but I think the comma before 'potatoes' implies that the vegetables elsewhere are not ready for harvest. I may be hypersensitive, though.

"The mare paced leisurely" - 'leisurely' is an adjective not an adverb
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
A great beginning!I loved Faramir musing about the bees to begin with.

Then I was pleased to see Deoric happily married and starting to ride kind and clever Lothiriel is both with the horse and the paints. Eagerly awaiting more!
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
I'm so glad you decided to continue this story line. You've got a great storytelling style. I like the way that your plot meanders through a lot of little scenes to create the bigger picture. Deoric is a very likable fellow, so well intentioned but fairly fallible as well. I'm glad that he finally got married. He's the sort that really needs a good wife.

I also like the way that you are bringing in cannon characters. Somehow it strengthens and validates your story. I really look forward to the next chapter!
149 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10