Reviews for Truth Be Told
Incoming Grapefruit chapter 26 . 2/8/2011
Although I'm unlikely to say anything you don't already know, I feel obligated to inform you just how talented an author you are. You have a gift. Your starring OC won my heart right from the onset, and you painted such vivid scenes that I found myself living the story rather than reading it. I haven't enjoyed a fanfic this much in quite some time. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us!
ReviewsGalore chapter 24 . 7/27/2010
The following is a graded review. Your fan fiction will be ranked in five categories on a 0-10 scale. This review is only the opinion of a single reader and you are free to disregard it if you wish. For more information, see my profile. Feel free to reply or to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Story: 8.75/10. I think that the story is a little slow to start. You spend a lot of time in the beginning getting subplots going and I don’t really start to see the main conflict of the fic until around chapter 8 which I think is a problem. However, once the story gets going, it is excellent. I love how so much of it revolves around something that is actually a big issue today and that is which version of history to believe. I also enjoyed the mostly happy ending and felt that it was entirely appropriate for this fic.

Characters: 9/10. I really enjoyed your characters. I can understand why Deoric feels so torn in this fic and I think that you do so much better than most fan writers with original characters in fanfiction. I do think that you are on the verge of having too many characters in this fic – which is common in sequels. I also really admire how you make us feel so much for the characters, but most of your characters are pretty nice people. So many people who excel at characterization write brooding misanthropes and while these characters can be fascinating, in a way it is harder to write nice characters and make them interesting. You do a good job of it.

Creativity: 9.5/10. You’ve got lots of original details and I like that you were able to write a sequel without making it seem the same as the first. I particularly enjoyed the little cultural details like the women setting challenges for the men who wished to marry them. The whole conflict of wanting to record the best or “truest” version of history is also a very refreshing idea for fanfic.

Writing: 9.75/10. I can’t find any fault with your writing. It is consistently polished, flows well and your dialogue sounds like real people talking. Your style is somewhat formal, but I find that appropriate for this fandom.

Believability: 9.75/10. One thing I admired about the first story and that I also admire about this story is that you are able to show the struggles of everyday people in Middle-earth so well. There aren’t many earth shattering events in this story, but that doesn’t make the events unimportant. I also really enjoyed how fully developed the cultures were and how you showed differences in the cultures through small things like different attitudes on childrearing. Finally, I think that you showed another side to the story more effectively than many writers would have – you didn’t make the people from Dunland into blameless victims but into people who had made mistakes just like everyone makes mistakes. Good job.

Overall: 9.25/10. This story is a little slow to start, but so original and well thought out. You show us a part of Middle-earth not often seen in either canon or fan fiction.

Thanks for paying attention to my concerns and good luck in the future.

ReviewsGalore
Epilachna chapter 26 . 7/17/2010
A wonderful way to end it. I have tears in my eyes. You've written something very special here. I feel like I know the Eorlings now, that I've walked beside them. Deoric's search for truth and his courage to stand up for what is right is a model for us all and completely in keeping with Tolkien's vision. Thank you for taking ten months to bring Deoric to life. He's a character that will remain in my memory for a long time.
Epilachna chapter 24 . 7/17/2010
I like Deoric's end to the story. I hope it comes true!
Epilachna chapter 21 . 7/17/2010
There is my Eomer. A true king, indeed.
Epilachna chapter 20 . 7/17/2010
I was hoping we'd get to meet an Ent! How wonderful.
Epilachna chapter 18 . 7/17/2010
I'm glad the Ents have a good reputation.
Epilachna chapter 17 . 7/17/2010
I wanted a girl - but I wasn't hoping too hard. I have to say, a book of Shire recipes would probably be the greatest gift anyone could bestow on me - I mean Eomer.
Epilachna chapter 16 . 7/17/2010
Much more my take on Eomer. I suppose he only needed a few days of contemplation to get to the right place.
Epilachna chapter 15 . 7/17/2010
Maybe I don't have the same perspective on Eomer as you do - I just don't see him as being so naive. Then again, I could be wrong.
Epilachna chapter 14 . 7/17/2010
What a fabulous reunion. And I like the way you introduce Leofred's chair with the slight worry of dignity, balanced by the practicality of the gift.
Calenlass Greenleaf chapter 26 . 5/26/2010
Well...It's been a while since I last read this story because I was stuck in Taiwan. I hadn't realized you had finished it.

Beautiful story that I know I must reread, because somewhere in the middle, life got busy and I lost a couple threads of the story (in no way was the fault yours!). Thank you for providing this great tale. :)

~Cal
lindahoyland chapter 26 . 5/13/2010
A great ending to a wonderful thought provoking story, which I've greatly enjoyed and shall miss.

Thank you for a great read!
blacksleeves chapter 26 . 5/12/2010
That was a lovely ending, thank-you! I hope you will soon give us another story to follow.

Cheers!
Grummel chapter 26 . 5/12/2010
Another great story of yours brought to a good end. Thank you very much!
175 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »