Reviews for Brazen
llimbus chapter 1 . 4/2/2013
Wow. Your Augusta Longbottom was really something to read about, and I liked that everything fitted so perfectly with canon (that always makes a Harry Potter lover happy). Those special italic moments were really good. And arousing. He, I never thought Minerva could be so brazen...
JUJUChick16 chapter 1 . 5/15/2012
This was very good! I am glad I read it and I must say you made this another realistic pairing!
crockywock chapter 1 . 11/30/2010
Simply beautiful. Thanks a lot for the treat!
abacab chapter 1 . 11/26/2010
Nice one! And quite sexy. I really enjoyed it.
Lily-x-Lily chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
Wow. That's just fantastic. What a wonderful story! Augusta and Minerva are just amazing. (especially Minerva!)I almost cried! Augusta had a very tough life, that's so sad. Your writing is really great, I loved it!

Thank you for this story!

Lily
Swallow B chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
That's a very good portrait of two beautiful strong women. I can just see their relationship being like that - though I had no idea before I read this. It's very well written. I would never have the courage to write like that, so I am glad someone has. It has made me see Augusta differently, past the vultured-hat caricature JKR gave us.
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 5/29/2010
The words "foxhole romance" come to mind, but instead of adrenalin-driven youngsters it's canny veterans.

Formally, I love the cross-cutting between streams of time, and the many, many different relationships.

I'm intrigued by the byplay between Minerva and Alastor (and I laughed aloud about the line "Minerva always had a way with men.")

Your Augusta is splendid: the tough girl, and then woman, who hides every weakness... except from the one who knows. I am in love with your Augusta.

(Full disclosure: I write Augusta as well, but a full generation or two older than Minerva and heterosexual to boot, but the two versions feel like different faces of the same woman. And I agree with you that she is formidable, and beautiful.)
fan-rei chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
just found your story. i would never thought of this pairing, but it's very well done. i like how you write it. thank you for sharing.
Amanda Pearson chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
What a fantastic story. You write Minerva so well.
maenadd chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
You're writing is brazen! And I mean that as a compliment. The imagery is particularly wonderful: "Minerva tasted of tea and magic"
MyMadness chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
Brazen. Um, yes. In a very enjoyable way. Nicely done.
the real snape chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
What a treat to come home to!

I love this pairing more and more, and Augusta's voice is just so.

And what a beautifully *brazen* first line!

Lines I particularly loved:

/Augusta feels free for the first time in years. She need do nothing - she can do nothing - but take the pleasure she is offered./ As in 'Trainspotting', you have such a wonderful way of showing how liberating constraint can be.

/she is alone-but-not-alone in the sandalwood-scented darkness/ and, of course, it gives McG some much-needed privacy. But that writing-technical aspect only struck me much later; the whole scene is so right that at first it just seems the only way ...

/the silly Hufflepuffs were always crying and pecking each other's cheeks and saying how much they'd miss everyone/ grin.

/Frank wouldn't even tell Augusta what hex Alastor had used on Rufus Scrimgeour [...] / Pity.

/"She's bossy?" he'd said, and laughed far harder than Augusta had considered seemly. /Just so!

/it's a good thing she'd sat down, else she'd have fallen to the floor./ Yes! That's our practical, down-to-earth Augusta!

/he needed to concentrate on sticking his bits in where they belonged / and with that type of comments the man managed to sire a fine son? Admirable!

/that Augusta needed a woman's touch, and she'd surfaced from her misery long enough to be angry/ Yay! I get more and more irritated by the crime novel automatism of "emotions WPC, for WMinistering Angel."

/Min had just been wanding a tot of brandy into the tea /Yes. Just 'a nice cuppa' seems a bit trite in the circumstances, even for true Brits.

/Augusta grew to like Min more and more. Except when Minerva annoyed her, which was often./ Explains the whole set-up of the relation so well!

/"Naked in your bed," she replied. The dryness was back.

In short, or rather in long, I loved it!
aptasi chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
As usual, not a pairing I ever would have come up with on my own. But as usual you write it with great skill. And it's about time someone did something with Augusta. She's a great character, but so underused that I almost forgot she existed. And, as always, I love it when you work with McG.
Headmistress X chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
I had forgotten the bit about Neville's gran giving the magical SS a nasty surprise when it came for her. It made me laugh out loud when I read it the first time. Now I recall that. And my mind's ear can perfectly summon the voice of a certain actress saying, "Naked in your bed."

All the things that are usually true of your writing are true here. It is perfectly pitched and unsentimental and sexy.

This is a story about the enormous weight that can be borne on the wings of so-called casual sex, and the loving, sustaining nature of a relationship that doesn't exist by conventional definition. It recasts the stereotype of widow/spinster as warrior/libertine and allows Minerva McGonagall to inhabit some James Bond territory. How subversive, Ms. Chambliss.

Thank you.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
You simply continue to amaze and delight me ! I was quite ready to settle in to some warm, sensual and seductive love making - and you gave me that, but then you also gave me such an incedible sensitivity to the fact that sensuality and the need for it are not confined only to young and beautiful bodies.

You gave me a Neville with quiet courage and great promise, an Augusta fierce in her sorrow and love, and a Minerva that I continue to adore.

To follow your own familiar format, here are some things I very much liked.

The description of Moody kissing Min - reminded me of that wonderful photo of the sailor and the nurse at the end of WWII. And I love the fact that even though he never had Minerva as a lover, he still carried a torch for her.

"Minerva always had a way with men." I laughed right out loud on the train - and I'm sure people thought me daft !

A gentle humor in the fact that Augusta realizes she's glad she's sitting down when a wave of erotic joy sweeps over her. Too true - standing up against the wall can be hazardous - there's something to be said for being seated !

I felt great sympathy for poor Frank being married to the younger Augusta - one wonders how he was even able to "stick his bits in where they belonged."

Giving Augusta dimension was brilliant - like so many of JK's "lesser" characters she was so flat in canon. You gave her heart and soul and made us rather like her - vulture hat and all ! Now we can better understand why Neville was so terrified of her ! No wonder his boggart was Snape in her clothes - can you imagine a more gut wrenching combination of elements !

"Minerva tasted of tea and magic." Lovely line.

"...she was Augusta, and not just Neville's gran." There is a poignancy to that line. How easy it is to overlook those no longer young and beautiful and stop seeing them as living beings still fiercly alive with all the same desires and needs as any half their age.

My only adverse comment was that, as another reviewer said, it took me a minute to sort out the Franks... but not that long.

So the gist of this is SPLENDID work ! More please !