Reviews for Touched by Fire
TolkienGirl chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
OH wow. The part where Dean talks about the fire taking things that don't belong to it, like his voice...super poignant and painful.
Love the Sleeping Beauty references, and how he'd hold his mom's hand. And the line about heaven having enough angels and not needing mommies hurts in the right way, exactly how a child would see it.
Very interesting how he's able to see fire as being a good thing sometimes too. But the third part-where, painfully, "Dean knew the ways of fire...had spent a lifetime in its company" really brings it back to tragedy. The line about the past unspooling is especially poetic. Wow. Also it's so very terrible that Sam, despite being touched twice by fire, was only changed the second time...he almost escaped it for much of his early life.
"Dean would always be there to pull him from the flames." -just gives perspective on how much agony Dean goes through whenever Sam is in danger later...or when Dean feels he can't save him.
This whole story was great...good symmetry in form, with the three parts-great insight into Dean's character at all three ages...sweet and yet very sad. Favoriting this! Great job!
ccase13 chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Dean probably has other thoughts now about fire after his time in hell and hiss year knowing Sam was in hell. He was just so lucky he went back to Sam's house in the pilot. Sam would never have left the apartment without Jessica. I'm always sure the only reason John left Mary was worry for the boys.
Rolletti chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
Another bout of tears. (sigh) You are too good.

Rolletti ;D
crimsonlipsivoryskin chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
this story is really beautiful. the way you write is aboslutely amazing. faved ;)
Frannie-pants chapter 1 . 4/25/2010
Aww. That was so good. I love the part on why Dean wanted to be a fire-fighter.
Olivialovessamwinchester chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
OMG this was a really good fanfic sort gave a chill down my spine but it was awesome.

just wondering did u win the competion u entered.
girlyghoul chapter 1 . 2/16/2010
Hunting for something to read and the title of this one peeked my interest (even though I know I'm late to the party)

LOVED it! Really great stuff. This line sucked me in right away: "watching as red and yellow tongues gobbled up his childhood. " *shiver*

Loved how you had the first part all about how the fire had taken everything away, but the second part was how the fire was giving too. Then the third part: " But Dean knew the ways of Fire now, had spent a lifetime in its company—studying it, using it, outrunning it. This time, he was ready."

Hmm... is it dorky to say your story about fire gave me chills?

Well, then I dork away! Really beautiful. Loved the theme of the Sleeping Beauty princess and how Dean had made it his mission to save them. And also Sam who was the one small thing he could always save. Tightly woven story! Love it! Love it! Love it!

Beautiful! Bravo all around! :-)!
Rosetta Brunestud chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Yeah, fire for the winchesters always has been a blessing and a curse, all at the same time

Well done fic I liked it

Kisses

Rosetta
Anne1013 chapter 1 . 1/16/2010
So, did you win anything for this story? The one thing that I have noticed while reading your stories is that you do this whole inner monologue of emotions so beautifully.

Even from a young Dean's point of view, you almost feel what he is feeling. And the writing never come off as too childish.I loved it when he compares the fire to Sleeping Beauty and the dragon and holding his mothers hand so that she wouldn't be scared. The way the you described his reasons for not speaking

"Fire had burned his throat inside, leaving it scratchy like ashes and clumped with tears, and words didn’t like to come out."

Who didn't want to reach for the kleenex when he stands out on the grass, barefoot, the weight of the world in his arms? Damn I wish I could write like that!

On a side note, do you think Mary had another reason for telling her son that angels watched over him? I am beginning to wonder if maybe she did. It will be interesting to watch and find out.

Thanks for another great story. Anne
Anya Magera chapter 1 . 11/14/2009
It's a great story but dang it, you making me cry!
Chronicles of an Insomniac chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
Very nice story. I love how you tie everything in together and have the contrast between the second part and the first, and third parts.

I've always found fire to be facinating, and love that it plays such a big role in the series. You show that role very well in this fic. It destroys his life, saves him, and destroys again. It seems like everytime he turns around, the fire is there to screw him up, or mix up his life somehow.

Great job!

clumsybookgirl13
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Sometimes Dean felt like he’d never left the spot where Fire had first touched him—standing barefoot in cool wet grass, Fire scalding his face, holding the weight of the world in his trembling arms, straining for a glimpse of his parents through the flames…watching as red and yellow tongues gobbled up his childhood. Sometimes he felt like he’d gotten stuck in that moment, while the rest of the world moved on around him.

-WONDERFUL description

He’d always thought Mommy looked like the princess in the movie, with her long, curly yellow hair. Dragons always went after princesses. He’d heard his daddy talking about something evil taking Mommy away. What could be more evil than a dragon? The one in the movie had been pretty scary. Sometimes, Dean had let Mommy hold his hand during that part...just so she wouldn’t be afraid.

He used to think it would be cool to play with a dragon, to be a wild-animal tamer. Not anymore. Now Dean wanted to be a fireman. He wanted to save all the pretty princesses like his mommy from getting burned up in the evil dragons’ flames. And to keep all the little boys like him and Sammy from having their mommies go to Heaven. What did Heaven need mommies for, anyway? They already had lots of angels.

- SO AWESOME! I can see the transformation into the hero he eventually becomes here. I can imagine fire forging him into the man he's become.

But he was still Daddy, and he was all Dean had now.

-SOB!

Dean didn’t think he wanted to live in a world like that, but he didn’t know how to get to Heaven where Mommy was. Besides, there was Daddy and Sammy—somebody had to take care of them. Sammy cried all the time now and Dean wished he could, too, but Fire had burned up all his tears.

Daddy could take care of himself, but Dean was afraid Fire would sneak in and try to take Sammy away, like it had done that night with his mommy. Dean couldn’t let that happen. He wasn’t big enough to be a real fireman yet, but he could keep watch over Sammy like the angels were supposed to, and make sure nothing bad happened in the night.

- AMAZING! I loved the idea that Dean realizes that John and Sam need him. I LOVE that Dean takes up taking care of Sammy because he feels that the angels have let him and his family down. It makes total sense!

So every night after Daddy put him in bed, he got up and climbed into Sammy’s crib. He wrapped his arms around his little brother and stayed awake as long as he could, watching. That way if Fire came, he’d be ready to grab his brother and run. He hadn’t been able to save Mommy, but he’d held onto baby Sammy tight and run as fast as he could, just like Daddy had said to. He’d carried his little brother out of the fire, just like a real fireman would. Fire couldn’t have any more of Dean’s family. He’d make sure of it. Nothing bad was going to happen to them as long as he was around.

-WONDERFUL! I LOVE "Fire couldn’t have any more of Dean’s family. He’d make sure of it. Nothing bad was going to happen to them as long as he was around." SO DEAN!

He’d held his brother in his arms that day, too, a weight he’d accepted and never let go. His eyes began to tear and he told himself it was just the close proximity to the flames. But he thought he could almost see her there, smiling at him through the veil of fire and water. Loving eyes seemed to tell him it was a job well done, a family saved…their family saved.

-AWESOME! I love how you are connecting fire and his mom throughout the story that they are interconnected, both with good and bad implications. I love how you get Dean over his fear and hatred of fire in the realization of seeing his mom in the flames, approving of his actions, maybe cementing even more his destiny in life.

So he wrapped his arms tighter around his little brother, just like he had on that long-ago day, holding on with every ounce of strength, defying evil’s attempt to steal Sammy from his grasp.

And for the second time in their lives, Dean carried him out of the fire.

- FANTASTIC! Full circle! Tragic yet moving and somehow destined.

Great job!
sayrae3times chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
Okay - broken heart here. The part where Dean's talking about his mom's favorite movie and the dragon - wow. And I love this - "He wasn’t big enough to be a real fireman yet, but he could keep watch over Sammy like the angels were supposed to, and make sure nothing bad happened in the night." And moving upward to finish with Stanford was a nice touch. I really enjoyed!
InSecret chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
And I missed this too... I'll be better, I promise, LOL. This is my favourite line:

No, this was hungry, evil, destroying-everything-in-its-path Fire. And its touch changed everything. Forever.

Particularly the last part. Just. So full of foreboding. *hugs Dean*
hachoo chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
Aw, I'm glad I read this. Very powerful story; you wrote the first fire with an innocence from Dean's young eyes, it I liked how you explained how Dean felt; like why he couldn't talk, and the small part about Mary and Sleeping Beauty. The way you reflected that first part in the last part worked really well too; you really made Dean jump out of the writing. Great, great story. :D