Reviews for Truth and Lies
TheHuntresss chapter 18 . 11/25/2013
As much as I'm enjoying your story I think you're giving Hermione a little too much leeway. Harry wouldn't just rush to give over his family secrets to her before he even knows what they are himself. Like with the cloak in his first year he'd want to see it himself first before sharing it.
Cookiefan571 chapter 5 . 11/17/2013
Pranks after he ruined their lives? Lives of people he cared for? Sorry find that a bit silly.
charmedbaby21894 chapter 29 . 8/6/2013
I was wondering who adopted this story.
Runecutter chapter 28 . 4/11/2013
So this is the end... for now?
It was good as long as it lasted and many of your ideas and new contributions to the wizarding world (e.g. Dumbledore's book, the Scarlet letter spell or even that Lily and James were not picturebook perfect lovers out of a cheap romance novel are pretty much new to me and i liked them, except maybe for "i loved Snape" *shudders in disgust*) Your attempt at making even the most hilarious changes, plot twists and sudden unexpectable revelations (like the Longbottoms faking their deaths or the Grangers having a sister(in law) that is magical) work in your story's background and setting without throwing up too many problems. I even came to grips quite fast with Hermione's horrible fate.

Okay, while i love the ideas, the way it is written has a little bit more reasons to grieve, from names that are mangled (Kreature instead of Kreacher? Nice if you explain it, but absolutely gruesome if it's done without explanation and seems to stem from ignorance about the real canon spelling. I don't need to say more than "Delores", do i?) over words that are constantly misspelled like "prefect" whenever somebody is thought to be close to perfection to sentences that lack words and thus lose meaning or sense for the reader there were a lot to repair if you were really intending to make this the best possible story you can publish. And at times the style itself is quite slacking and borders on the profane. Sad as often enough it's very satisfying to read.

And of course there's the awful need to redeem as many bad people as possible. Snape, Draco, even Lucius suddenly are painted like demi-saints while Dumbledore could not be more evil if he tried and most others are given their fair share of vices or faults to contribute to Harry's exhaustion with life in the magical world... That is, if they get much of a characterization at all. Basically, if it's not Harry's closest family it's just a cardboard cutout with a name and some lines. While that's true of most of the kids and teachers, politicians and parents, it is especially true for those characters you've invented yourself. Hermione's aunt Scarlett, Sirius' wife, the new students they spend time with in Beauxbatonsm they're all lacking a real personality and for the most part even the attempt to show them with one.

So in the end it was a mixed feeling i ended the reading with. The plot and writing were good enough to find some love for it, but the cast of pale stunt doubles for real people, the de-malification of the Death Eaters and a few quirks in the narrative now and then almost made me hate it too. In the end this cancels either out and gives me a mostly neutral attitude towards "Truth and Lies", a little bit sad that it won't continue (at least i could not find that adopter you've mentioned... did you ever tell the name or how the story will be called from now on?) but also a bit relieved that i can now go on and read other things without the storm of mixed emotions TaL brought with it.
Runecutter chapter 7 . 4/9/2013
Dun Dun Dunnn... there it was the big slam. The fronts are starting to solidify and soon the spells will start to fly!

But where's the bashing? ;)
Runecutter chapter 6 . 4/9/2013
Why should the location of Atlantis pose any trouble? There are about 30 places halfway around the world, from the gulf of Mexico to the eastern Mediterranean that are or have at one point been thought to correspond with the Platon narration... It doesn't matter that today many scholars think it's this greek island that exploded in a volcanic eruption, after all muggles also think there are no dragons or unicorns and magic is only a fantastic myth, so what do muggle scholars know of these things? So when you WANT it to lie close to the french coast then it lies close to the french coast.

Finally the story is gaining some speed... I'm relieved that you let Harry join Hermione... probably until the term will start Hogwarts will be a pretty empty school :D After all they now will have to save Neville too from Dumbledore's hand as they'll have to do with Draco... At least i don't believe that Harry or Sirius would willingly sacrifice those two regardless for which reason. Draco might be an ass, but he is still young and being killed by the dark and goaty one is not a fate you'd wish even the greatest jerk on the world, would you?
Runecutter chapter 2 . 4/9/2013
Nope. Andromeda Tonks will NOT call her daughter with her last name. After all SHE was the one thinking it out in the first place and she will ALWAYS use Nymphadora or at least Dora. Maybe you can get away with "my dear" or something like that, but not "Tonks". And Nymphadora will roll her eyes and sigh in exasperation but she will let it go because Andromeda is her MUM!

A good start into the story, hopefully this will not separate Harry and Hermione *hint hint, nudge nudge* and the bashing will start soon too! :D
I'm dying to find out what stood in the wills, so i'll break it up now and head to the next chapter!
yungatheart chapter 14 . 1/11/2013
I was a bit hesitant to read this story at first but as I read on it grew on me. The fact that Dumbledore is turned over so fast led me to assume the story would be boring afterwards but this chapter is worth reading the whole story. I really like stories with a postive outlook, with love and forgiveness, and new begginings. I look foreward to reading more. It has been awhile since you updated, I hope you finish it some day. Thanks.
doublejinx chapter 29 . 7/8/2011
I know you probably won't get my review, but I must say I'm sorry for you and your husband's loss as I know what it's like to lose a grandfather. This was a wonderful story while it lasted.
zArkham chapter 7 . 6/7/2011
The only problem I have with this chapter is Ron comes off as too stupid. As a typical moRon hater, you'd think I'd be okay with that. It is just that I would have expected Dumbledore of all people to have some spellwork on Ron to keep him from mouthing off like he did.

If it were me (and it's not) I'd rewrite this a bit to show there *was* a spell like that but Dumbledore forgot to reapply it before Ron left for the summer due to the whole Sirius incidents. That way you can have Ron say something sort of stupid, have Percy looked shocked and then kick him or something which makes Arthur suspicious.

I point out in my own fic (in a chapter I've written but haven't published) that as a Ministry worker they *are* trained to look for people under spells. So Arthur smells a (ahem) rat and does another spell (maybe subtly) and THEN Ron mouths off.

I think that would be a bit more believable...but that's just my opinion. It's your story.
zArkham chapter 2 . 6/7/2011
I will comment on content of this story after I've gotten a better feel for it but I do have a suggestion. You should have the chapter title in the chapter bar. Just having "Chapter 2" makes it harder to remember which chapter you left off on.

It is not intuitive on how to do this so if you don't know, drop me an email. If you do and you don't want to well that's okay too. )
BardsSong chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
Quote: -Marian and Shakespeare Granger sat in their living room discussing the issue of their daughters schooling. It wasn't Hermione's grades that were the problem.

Scarlett is a good friend of Tonks. She is Hermione's mother little sister.-

No offense,... (well actually that is a stupid saying as comments followed by 'no offense' are generally offensive) but the name picking seriously is not the best work i've seen (maybe not worst, bu that is no praise). Even if some people state the name Hermione supposedly derives from Shakespearean plays one should not go overboard and name the parents /family after him.
bookivore chapter 7 . 5/6/2011
Great scene with Molly getting the A and Ron & Percy being Dumbledore's kids! I don't think I've ever seen that before. But, if you go with the storybook theory that kids are just like their parents, it is neat to think that Ron & Percy are like Molly & Dumbledore rather than Molly & Arthur.
Draeconin chapter 2 . 4/28/2011
You're rushing through things too fast. An example: -The group then took a portkey to St. Mungos to have Harry looked at and then went to Tonks' parents' house.- There is an awful lot that happened there that wasn't reported: the examination, the results of that examination, and the treatment, not to mention the reactions of those that hear the report. Details like that are what MAKE a story, and you keep skipping over those things.
reader1writer1 chapter 29 . 11/25/2010
I really enjoyed this. I hope you get back to it eventually, in spite of your current situation.