Reviews for You Know I'll Put Us Back Together
Nectar-Ambrosia chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Ooooh, different. Surprisingly, I really, really like it. Intrigued, even! There's something irresistible about the way you write, even if it's angst, which I'm usually never into. But your voice is just so...fluid and lyrical but down-to-earth. Gah! And such characterizations too! You nailed it all. It's also told very perceptively.
QTFics chapter 1 . 5/26/2011
Wow what raw intense, feelings expressed in this story! It brings out everything fierce, wonderful and maddeningly fustrating about Martha, her strength, her concern for everyone but also at the expense at ever expressing her own wants and needs. Wonderfully written.
Elizabeth The Canuck chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
There are some good things about this story, but I have a few issues with it as well. Yes, most abused women will try to protect the perpetrator. Martha not wanting Jack or the Doctor to know Tom was behind her injuries was very believable. The fact that it took a while for them to convince her to open up and later come with them is realistic (I'm assuming it didn't happen right away). I do think it's weird that Jack thought the Doctor of all people could help. When the Doctor saw Martha he didn't even think that Tom could be the one who beat her. Is he insane? The significant other is often the first suspect. The Doctor was emotionally abusive to Martha when she traveled with him, which makes him wanting to help her uncomfortable. He torn away her self esteem. I'm not surprised she refused his help. He always expected her to be strong and take care of everything (from getting out of messes on her own to taking care of him). He also made her feel like no matter what she did she would never be good enough, which was ridiculous. She's probably the strongest, most capable companion he has ever had. I had a problem with the part where Jack and the Doctor asked Martha why Tom hurt her and her response. She let him? I don't think so. That makes it seem like it's the victims fault. If the abuse has been going on for awhile and she has been protecting him, she leaves herself vulnerable to future abuse. Perhaps you were trying to show that this sends the wrong message, which is true. Victims should speak up. Tom would figure he could do whatever he wanted, but many victims are so traumatized that they say nothing. This doesn't indicated that she let him though. Martha should not have to accept blame for Tom's actions. Sorry, I had a huge problem with that part. It was nice how Martha went away with her friends to begin to heal. Maybe she can start to take care of and put herself first, because that was a big issue for her.
lovable hate chapter 1 . 4/29/2011
"then why did he hurt you?"

"because i let him." BRILLIANT! everything was so accurate (and i am with you- martha is awesome)
00000909000000 chapter 1 . 3/3/2011
I love Martha too! I really enjoyed this story. I always thought Martha's year of walking the earth would effect her for a long time. I loved all of the friendships portrayed here, with Jack, Martha, Donna, and the Doctor. Thanks so much!
Jadziwine chapter 1 . 10/11/2010
OMG I frigging love you! it was perfect. you made me CRY, actual tears! your jack was spot on!
lemurs366 chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
So good. almost brought me to tears, I think you got Martha down pat. And you got how the Doctor feels.
Ms. Virago chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
First of all, I feel the need to congratulate you on writing a story that truly captures the dynamic of an abusive relationship. More often than not, fanfics that feature abuse as an element of the storytelling usually depict the abused as pathetic, wilting, needing men to protect her and hold her up (I use "her" because I very seldom read about men being abused; I digress). You have given the situation the gravity and weight it deserves by portraying it as it always is: complicated. This fic is meritoriously multi-faceted in its storytelling.

The writing is fantastic, the characterization perfectly pitched. As one who often felt that Martha was treated quite poorly by the Doctor with no resolution of this treatment, as a Martha Jones "advocate" I felt quite vindicated by this fic.

It's lovely and I truly enjoyed the experience. Nice work.
Aoluas Anminti chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
I see what you were trying to do, and your premise was good. You got some phrases right, but here at the end of the fic, I can only think that either you don't really understand the mental and emotional setups of the people involved in the abusive relationships (aggressor or victim) or you wanted to indulge in a bit of fantasy.

The cycle is never this easy to break, and abused people often go back to their partners. Having had personal experience with this, I can tell you. No woman in enough of a pit to allow herself to justify her boyfriend breaking her ribs will be swayed by the simple concern and persistence of family and friends.

I cannot imagine Martha as she is first introduced as a woman who would let a man abuse her. It is the Doctor, aware of her feelings and pointedly ignoring them, at one point seeming to mock her with them, who whittles away her self esteem to the point where she'd be capable of tolerating abuse. Since it is the Doctor who makes her feel unloved and undesirable to begin with (not because of what he asks her to do in world crises but because of how he treats her personally), I think that she would respond to him least of all, in this situation.

You got some phrases right, but I really don't think you grasped the complicated thing that is domestic abuse, or how people, specifically Martha, would respond to it. It feels to me as though you got some phrases out of a pamphlet on domestic abuse and tried to extrapolate from there. In future, I suggest either writing only about those things which you understand, or doing real, in-depth research, possibly interviewing people, before writing.

Just because something is a common problem (or plot device) doesn't mean it's a simple one.
PhoenixWytch chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Oh Martha... :sniffles:

Thanks for writing.
HelenaHermione chapter 1 . 7/27/2009
Oh, this is awesome-and sad-but still so sweet, so bittersweet to Martha Jones, a tribute to her strength and how even that must fail under the harshest of least she gets the chance to live out the best of dreams here.
Miggs chapter 1 . 7/26/2009
Great great story. Martha didn't come out of that Year unscathed and unaltered. Glad you touched on that.
mrs mathis chapter 1 . 7/25/2009