Reviews for A Special Assignment
alix33 chapter 4 . 12/17/2012
"For the first time he glanced deliberately over his glasses at her, "–who would follow." Abbey struggled to keep her face straight as she looked back at him. That one look had turned her on – and now she was longing to be back in the Residence with him again, in their bed there." - AW!
"He turned to her. "By the way, sweet knees, the Statue of Liberty–" Abbey rolled her eyes as she started to stand up. "Get upstairs!" she said sotto-voice, aware that the engineer was still there, but very aware too of her rapidly increasing need for him. He followed her as she headed towards the door. "Right there at the front door to the country!" "Get upstairs!" she repeated with a grin. "Like a lawn jockey!" he went on, raising his arm like Liberty's arm with the torch before bringing it down to rest around her shoulders. They both stopped when the door opened and CJ appeared. "Mr. President?" "Ah, C.J.," Abbey said with a smile, "the President's going to take a little personal staff time right now." "No, it's okay." Jed turned to her and leant forward to kiss her cheek. "I'll be right behind you," he whispered as his hand came down to pat her rear. "Special garment!" she whispered back teasingly. "Go!" With a broad smile on her face and shaking with laughter, Abbey stepped outside and made her way along the colonnade to the Residence. It only took her a few minutes to reach their bedroom and, knowing that barring the outbreak of World War 3, Jed would be there within minutes, she grabbed the 'special garment' that she had bought from Victoria's Secret catalogue and disappeared into the bathroom." - Hehehe.
Jed laughed. "Okay, so now we're sitting here – and I'm feasting my eyes on your very definitely not knee-length tartan skirt – so what's next?" "Hey," Abbey remonstrated, "you're not in the Oval Office now!" He looked at her under his lashes. "I can still ask – what's next?" - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 3 . 12/17/2012
"He turned to pick up the phone, and Abbey turned too, wrapping her arm round him. "Yeah?" he said into the phone, suppressing a smile as Abbey's fingertips trailed around his chest. "Sam – yes – I'm sorry, I should have come down earlier..." He grinned again as she started moving her hand further down. "No – no problem, I was awake...You have? Great! Okay, give me ten..." As her hand moved down past his stomach to his groin, he caught his breath and quickly lifted her hand away. "...ten minutes or so...Yeah, right, and the radio guy?" He was still holding her hand away but almost groaned out loud as she reached up to kiss his shoulder and he felt her hair falling softly against his back. "Yeah...okay, Sam – and thanks." After he'd put the phone down, he looked round at her in amusement. "What the hell are you trying to do?" "Distract you, of course," she said with a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "Yeah well, you did that all right – I just hope that Sam's attributing my incoherency to waking up – and not to the fact that my wife is trying to seduce me." "Do I have time to seduce you?" He looked at her regretfully. "I really do have to go down to the office, sweet knees." "Okay." Briskly Abbey threw back the bedcovers and swung her legs out of the bed, reaching for her robe and pulling it on. "Let's go then." Jed's eyes widened in surprise. "You don't need–" "Hey, come on, I got a vested interest in this radio address – and I want to check it out too." He laughed. "Now why does that not surprise me?" She came round the bed and pulled the covers from him. "So you'd better get your ass out of that bed, Bartlet – unless you want to wait for me to shower first." Jed hauled himself out of bed. "We could always shower together?" Abbey laughed. "Dream on! You told Sam ten minutes!" - Hehehe.
"Before she'd come down to the office, he'd gone through the address that Sam had brought in and then looked up in admiration at the younger man. "This is excellent, Sam," he'd said. "I hope to God you weren't up all night doing it?" Sam grinned. "I edited it this morning, sir – but most of it – and all the research – was done by three of the interns last night – they volunteered when they knew what you wanted." "Volunteered?" "Yeah – they've all majored in Women's Studies." "Right." Jed nodded in understanding. "Well, be sure to thank them from me, will you? Though of course this has not passed its final test yet." "Sir?" "The First Lady's test." "Ah!" Sam grinned knowingly. Jed gave him a sideways glance. "And I already threatened to send Charlie on a special assignment to the Yukon for a smirk like that." "Yes, sir," Sam said, quickly trying to straighten his face. Jed chuckled. "You wanna stay for Abbey's reaction? She'll be down here in a few minutes – oh, too late, you can't escape now – she's here." Both he and Sam looked round as Abbey came through the door from the portico. "Good morning, Sam," she said. "No, no, it's okay, don't stand up." She flashed him one of her dazzling smiles. "Is that the address?" she continued, looking at the sheaf of papers in Jed 's hand. Sam was already on his feet. "Yes, ma'am. I – er– I hope it meets with your satisfaction." "My satisfaction?" Abbey replied, her eyebrows raised. "Goodness, what has my husband been telling you about me then?" Her eyes swung round to meet Jed's and he grinned at the amusement in them. "Let him off the hook, Abbey – he's done a great job." "With the help of three female interns, ma'am," Sam added. "Female interns, huh?" Abbey smiled up at him as she sat down on the couch besides Jed. "That sounds good to me." "Sir, do you need me to stay?" "No, it's okay, Sam. And thanks – thank you very much." "My pleasure, sir – and ma'am." Sam made his way out of the office just as the stewards were bringing in the breakfast cart. At the same time, the sound engineer arrived and started setting up the equipment for the live recording. Now Jed looked across at Abbey as she finished reading the address. "Okay?" he asked. "It's excellent," Abbey replied, and he breathed a sigh of relief. "I think I need to send a little thank-you note to Sam's three interns, don't I?" "I'm sure they'd appreciate that – since they were up half the night doing the research." He glanced up at the clock. "Okay, we've about ten minutes to go. I think Joe's gonna want me to check the sound levels. Joe, you ready for me?" he asked, looking round at the radio man. "Whenever you are, sir." "Okay." Jed picked up his mug of coffee and went across to the Resolute desk. He read a few sentences of the address while the engineer checked and adjusted the levels. When they'd finished, Abbey pulled up one of the chairs next to the desk and Jed looked round at her. "You gonna sit there?" "You have a problem with me sitting here?" He held up his hands. "No – no, not at all." "Good." She sat down and shot him her flirtatious smile. "I like listening to you when you're doing a speech." "It's a radio address, Abbey." "Same thing." "This one isn't. It's casual and homely and friendly. It's like Roosevelt's fireside chats." "You wearing your carpet slippers then?" she grinned. He grinned back at her. "Stop it. I need to focus now." - Hehehe, though I had to Google "carpet slippers".
alix33 chapter 2 . 12/17/2012
"As Jed opened the bedroom door, Abbey turned to him. "Where've you been?" He threw his briefcase on to the chair and started to take off his jacket. "I was on a conference call with Cardinal Law and the Archbishop of Chicago." "You couldn't get off the phone?" "Yeah." He moved round and sat in the chair opposite her. "Excuse me, Your Eminence, but the First Lady is a little randy, and she says I'm good to go." Abbey shot him a teasing look. "I am a little randy, Jed!" He grinned. This was definitely going to be a good night! Quickly he started to remove his shoes. "Good! Take your clothes off." Abbey looked at him in amused exasperation. "Wh–whatever happened to romance? A couple of cocktails, Mel Torme–?" He was still grinning. "Get 'em off." With a small sigh, Abbey stood up and headed for the bathroom. "Okay, I'm going to the bathroom. Where I am gonna change into a special little garment–" she turned to him and gave him the sexy flirtatious look that always turned him on "–which I think you might enjoy!" "Abbey, you have two minutes, or I swear to God I'm gonna get Mrs. Landingham drunk," he said. "Loosen your tie!" she said airily. "Loosen whatever you'd like!" - Hehehe.
"Seeing his strong chest – and seeing his scar from Rosslyn too. Rosslyn – the word that would always make her shudder. She would never ever be able to forget how the Zapruder frames of Dallas had flashed through her mind when they'd told her he had been shot." - What an awful flashback to have!
"You're right, you know," he called to her as he started towelling himself down after his quick shower. "I am?" Abbey called back. She'd poured herself another drink and was sitting on the couch. The few minutes while he'd been in the bathroom had taken the edge off her annoyed reaction to what she had initially taken as a patronising comment. And now she was kicking herself for over-reacting – even though it was a subject that was important to her. It was when he'd taken off his shirt that she'd been stopped in her tracks. Seeing his strong chest – and seeing his scar from Rosslyn too. Rosslyn – the word that would always make her shudder. She would never ever be able to forget how the Zapruder frames of Dallas had flashed through her mind when they'd told her he had been shot. But now, three months later, thank God, he was fit and whole again. And she needed tonight as much as he did. Jed came back into the bedroom. He'd pulled on a pair of sweatpants, but was still rubbing his hair dry with a thick white towel. "Yeah," he said, "I was just trying to think of any statue or memorial to a woman – and I couldn't think of any. And I agree with you, that's wrong and needs something doing about it." "So what are you gonna do about it?" Jed thought for a moment. "Well, I suppose I could ask N.O.W. to take it on – unless you want it to be a First Lady's Initiative?" Abbey raised her eyebrows. "Really?" "Yes, really. I'm serious, Abbey. It's appalling that we don't recognise women's achievements." "Right – yeah, okay then, that could be fun." She was genuinely moved now by his obvious sincerity. "I just thought of something else," he went on. "How about I do my Saturday morning address tomorrow about these women?" "You've already recorded your address, haven't you?" Jed grimaced. "Nope. I had – well, let's just say a few false runs. In the end, they took pity on the recording guy and sent him home. So I'm doing it live tomorrow morning – and I could ask the writing team to do another address for me." Abbey stood up, smiling inwardly but keeping her face straight. "You bartering with me for sex now, Jed?" "No, that's not what–" he started, and then caught the sudden glint of amusement in her eyes. He didn't know what had changed, but somehow he was back on safe ground again. "Well, yeah, I suppose I might be–" he added with a grin. He could see that she was trying hard not to start laughing. "I'll think about it," she said, reaching down to pick up his shirt which he'd thrown on to the chair. Then she went to the bathroom." - Even if it is president Bartlet's bartering thing, it would make for an awesome radio address.
Jeez, well done on those names, mister president.
alix33 chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
Hehehe.
Spooks-Obsession chapter 4 . 11/3/2012
I love the missing scenes that you've included here. Nice job :)
movable nu chapter 4 . 7/14/2010
I loved this! You did a great job of showing the action around and within the events on the screen. I especially loved Jed & Abbey's interactions.
babyphd chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
I think I will love this story. Great start!