Reviews for Of Seconds Lost, and Hearts
Jenice chapter 1 . 3/19
oh...wow
Renewed Fan chapter 1 . 1/15
This was a story full of angst. I loved it! I sympathize with Amanda. I think she was in shock and in so much pain she couldn't attend Sarek's funeral. She was empty. Vulcan and Starfleet's rigid indoctrination of Sarek and Spock took them both away. I'd Ike to think though that she later visited Sarek.
Moon FireStar chapter 1 . 7/18/2015
I actually really like this story and wish it was longer and I had to read it twice to be sure of my feelings about it . Before I reviewed it and this is how I feel...
Amanda
I'm still 100% on Amanda's side. If you follow canon and your stories you realize how much Sarek was and is her whole world. Once she married him he was all she really had in the "world". She could no longer truly trust anyone from Earth ,Starfleet or sadly Humans in general. When you have to watch what you say and do with everyone you cling to what you can trust. And that was Sarek. When she got to Vulcan her new family didn't accept her or most Vulcans. She had to learn customs,rituals and a language on her always knew that Sarek would out live her so she knew in a way he would always be there if nothing else. So she really didn't concern herself with the idea of her out living him. And so for over 40yrs at this point he's been in her mind ,a part of her ...most likely she felt him die and then had a constant feeling of reaching for him and only finding emptiness... And it was just knowing it was so unnecessary. That is unforgivable.
Spock
I understand up to a point of how he felt ...he didn't know what path to follow because yes he is still a child and the humans really don't get that ...sometimes you can be so smart that your stupid and that's Spock main problem. He still needed parental figures to help him along but was surrounded by people who saw a grown man and used him accordingly. Yes some of them cared for him but they still used him. But sometimes you have to grow up hard and fast and this is what happened to him. He just outsmarted himself and now has to deal with consequences.
Kirk
I'm really not a big fan ..I do like him character wise but ...anyway Kirk is basically a selfish person...not to say he's not caring but the people he does care for belong to him 1st and that's that .The more he cares for them the more he holds on to them. And loyalty is a must .It's simply Kirk side and the other side. Also with charismatic people they pull people in and they can usually turn people around to their views. And he treated Spock like an equal not understanding he should of been in the older brother/cousin role. Teaching his cousin from a very small town the do's and don't of living in the big city. And I do believe he really loved Spock be it romantic or friendship wise it is what it is. He just didn't understand or maybe want to that Spock was truly an Alien and treated him that way.
McCoy
You would think as a Dr he would better understand the Spock although is part human..He is mostly Vulcan biologically and in form. And not expect him to change so much or be other than who he is ..and also I think he has an major issue of Amanda marriage to Sarek. Just couldn't see what a human woman saw in a alien..
I just wanted a more detailed description of the characters a few years after this from their point of view and I still wonder if Spock ever found out what happened to Amanda after he left for the academy?
Kyri Adamorte chapter 1 . 5/9/2013
Since you've started posting again, I've been re-reading some of your older stuff (like this). I thought I remembered how heartbreaking this was. WRONG!

I was wondering - is there any chance of you writing another version of this, on the flip side? That is, if Spock had died and Sarek lived and the emotional fallout of that?
Spockchick chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
What a thoughtful, powerful re-do of one of the best TOS episodes. I can see Amanda reacting this way, after all she gave up her human life and customs to be with Sarek, once he is gone, what should keep her on Vulcan? A good examination of how one decision/event can change everything.
Nyotarules chapter 1 . 3/5/2011
An ending that works for this sad tale. I do not want to assume but does Kirk die in the end and Earth is destroyed by V'Ger? If so the death of Kirk and Amanda will probably send Spock in this AU over the edge. I find Amanda believable, considering in TAS she left Sarek when child Spock died in another timeline, so yep she would be strong enough to give her own son and Vulcan culture the two fingered salute if she believe he contributed to Sarek's death.
ShiftingWinds125 chapter 1 . 3/14/2010
OMG! Amanda is so cruel in this! GAH! *Strangles her* Kirk dies because of her! *Sighs* Now I'm slightly depressed. This was good though. I Loved it!
Wassermagierin chapter 1 . 11/22/2009
Wow...this is simply heart-breaking, but still oddly beautiful. It was strangely fitting how there was no happy ending for anyone, no forgiveness, and no healing. It was really touching...I'm not sure whether one can truly *love* something sad, but this was beautiful!
RLS83843 chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
Interesting. Have you ever considered writing a story about Nimbus 3?
Gwen Kathleen chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
Wow. I will read anything you write, Pat...but I am so depressed by this story. I always like to think that, although Spock has a difficult, often painful lot in life, that there are always reprieves. With this story...no cavalry, no Lassie, no reprieves. I'm just so sad.

On the positive side though...as an artist, it is most unforgivable to be mediocre, therefor provoking a strong emotion from your patrons (even sadness) can be viewed as successful.

So...congratulations on your writing, but I believe I'm going to sulk under a cloud all day, mindful that Amanda regrets and has abandoned the last 40 years of her life, spent the remainder of her years hating her only son, and that Spock is alone and miserable. Just so very sad. I need chocolate!
makaem chapter 1 . 8/1/2009
Uuhh. But, a good story.
Henry chapter 1 . 7/30/2009
Aw.l... that was so sad. I never thought about it before but it would be miserable for spock to become a clan leader before he's ready. In a way, I liked how Amanda got to be human again and how she returned to earth though she remained heart broken forever. It's sad how she hated her son in the end.
The Buzz chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
Wow...that was almost painful to read. Very well done, though (of course). It made me think about just how easily this might have happened, and how lucky they were. I liked Kirk's protectiveness of Spock- it seemed very in character.

Thanks for an excellent piece! :)
noein9 chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
This was...very interesting. And seemingly sudden- but not really. There must have been a great deal of resentment building up in Amanda for a long time; caught between two stubborn men and her own life issues.

Especially in light of the movie ( and a few Next Generation episodes) it was kinda hard to believe that Spock would so simply and so easily not fight for his own life- that's his basic story arc, but I could see how retreat to Kolinahr would end battles of his own heart.
maaliem chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
Hi Pat,

This is a terrific what could have happened. Really sad how it all played out and I like how you tied it back in at the end.

Very nicely done-thank you