Reviews for Of Seconds Lost, and Hearts
Kyri Adamorte chapter 1 . 5/9/2013
Since you've started posting again, I've been re-reading some of your older stuff (like this). I thought I remembered how heartbreaking this was. WRONG!

I was wondering - is there any chance of you writing another version of this, on the flip side? That is, if Spock had died and Sarek lived and the emotional fallout of that?
Spockchick chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
What a thoughtful, powerful re-do of one of the best TOS episodes. I can see Amanda reacting this way, after all she gave up her human life and customs to be with Sarek, once he is gone, what should keep her on Vulcan? A good examination of how one decision/event can change everything.
Nyotarules chapter 1 . 3/5/2011
An ending that works for this sad tale. I do not want to assume but does Kirk die in the end and Earth is destroyed by V'Ger? If so the death of Kirk and Amanda will probably send Spock in this AU over the edge. I find Amanda believable, considering in TAS she left Sarek when child Spock died in another timeline, so yep she would be strong enough to give her own son and Vulcan culture the two fingered salute if she believe he contributed to Sarek's death.
ShiftingWinds125 chapter 1 . 3/14/2010
OMG! Amanda is so cruel in this! GAH! *Strangles her* Kirk dies because of her! *Sighs* Now I'm slightly depressed. This was good though. I Loved it!
Wassermagierin chapter 1 . 11/22/2009
Wow...this is simply heart-breaking, but still oddly beautiful. It was strangely fitting how there was no happy ending for anyone, no forgiveness, and no healing. It was really touching...I'm not sure whether one can truly *love* something sad, but this was beautiful!
RLS83843 chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
Interesting. Have you ever considered writing a story about Nimbus 3?
Gwen Kathleen chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
Wow. I will read anything you write, Pat...but I am so depressed by this story. I always like to think that, although Spock has a difficult, often painful lot in life, that there are always reprieves. With this story...no cavalry, no Lassie, no reprieves. I'm just so sad.

On the positive side though...as an artist, it is most unforgivable to be mediocre, therefor provoking a strong emotion from your patrons (even sadness) can be viewed as successful.

So...congratulations on your writing, but I believe I'm going to sulk under a cloud all day, mindful that Amanda regrets and has abandoned the last 40 years of her life, spent the remainder of her years hating her only son, and that Spock is alone and miserable. Just so very sad. I need chocolate!
makaem chapter 1 . 8/1/2009
Uuhh. But, a good story.
Henry chapter 1 . 7/30/2009
Aw.l... that was so sad. I never thought about it before but it would be miserable for spock to become a clan leader before he's ready. In a way, I liked how Amanda got to be human again and how she returned to earth though she remained heart broken forever. It's sad how she hated her son in the end.
The Buzz chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
Wow...that was almost painful to read. Very well done, though (of course). It made me think about just how easily this might have happened, and how lucky they were. I liked Kirk's protectiveness of Spock- it seemed very in character.

Thanks for an excellent piece! :)
noein9 chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
This was...very interesting. And seemingly sudden- but not really. There must have been a great deal of resentment building up in Amanda for a long time; caught between two stubborn men and her own life issues.

Especially in light of the movie ( and a few Next Generation episodes) it was kinda hard to believe that Spock would so simply and so easily not fight for his own life- that's his basic story arc, but I could see how retreat to Kolinahr would end battles of his own heart.
maaliem chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
Hi Pat,

This is a terrific what could have happened. Really sad how it all played out and I like how you tied it back in at the end.

Very nicely done-thank you

Em
trecebo chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
Youch! Surprising what a few seconds can mean in a lifetime...
iadggm chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
This is a sad but terrific story and an interesting alternative to "A long Journey". Pat excels in writing dialogue and an intense story such as this showcases her talent. I enjoy her lighter stories for fun, but dramas like this one are so thought provoking and haunting.
kris43 chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
nice to hear from you again. its always a treat to read your stories. in this case,i am so glad that things did not go the way you describe them. it is a terrible vision! and jet, very realistic. i think that amanda would react this way if she lost sarek.