Reviews for The Valley is Jolly
Kelana-ti chapter 37 . 8/27
Wow this was good. :) Good mix of drama and action. Poor Estel! Loved seeing a change in relationship with him and the twins.
And wow, you managed to make me dislike Saruman even more than I did. Almost every sentence out of his mouth ticked me off! Nice work.
Drag0nst0rm chapter 37 . 7/9
Fantastic story! I'm so glad I found this.
Drag0nst0rm chapter 18 . 7/8
I'm loving your depiction of Elrond's family, particularly his relationship with Estel. Your interpretation of Gandalf is different from any interpretation I've seen before, but I'm enjoying it.

I . . . do disagree with the perspective you've presented on both the dwarves and the Isildur situation, but in a fandom like this, those kinds of disagreements are inevitable, and I still love this story. I haven't read much about Aragorn's childhood before, but you're making me want to seek out more!
Drag0nst0rm chapter 1 . 7/8
I love the world building and look at the characters in this!

And as serious as the chapter is, it made me smile to see the kingship of the noldor being listed as something most are "polite enough to forget."
Al chapter 34 . 6/4
I truly love this story; the characterisations, the ideas, the realization of the world! I hate nitpicking, but I am bothered by your frequent use of 'reign' instead of 'rein'. Reign means to rule over, as a king or emperor. Rein, as in rein in, free rein, etc. refers to horses. To rein in means to slow down or assert control, as one does by tightening a horse's reins. Free rein means hold the reins loosely, to let the horse choose its own speed and path. The two words are probably from the same origin, but refering to one's emotion, actions, intentions almost always uses 'rein', not 'reign'. The wrong word is very frequently see in fanfiction, and sadly, also in published works recently.
I hope you aren't offended. I really am enjoying your work tremendously.
Heyyyy. This is an old fic so I don’t even know if you’re still on this account, but I wanted to say a lot of things!

For one, I’m LOVE elrond, and all his caring-ness... and Estel is v cute and it’s good!

But the really important thing is that even tho I read this less than a month ago, this fic has actually helped my mental health. It means... so, so much for me to actually see Elrond but also Elladan (and a bit of Elrohir?) care for Estel in the way I wished to be cared for myself... with such evident emotion... it makes me kind of believe that I deserved that kind of care too.

The two scenes that stood out most to me are... one is the trust scene with Estel and Elrond, it is just, so good, /you already have everything you need/ and what he needs is to ask for help, I’m crying just thinking about it.

The other is... the scene where Estel’s gotten all those terrible self hating thoughts that sure, are caused by magic in this fic, but also happen to look almost exactly like the depression/anxiety/ptsd convo I have myself experienced. And elladan... elladan says that he will not live estel alone with those thoughts, he will stay and help, ALWAYS, and that is... that is exactly what I wanted someone to do for me when my mental health was the worst... but I always figured I didn’t deserve it.

Anyway, due to this fic, when I hurt and am trying to convince myself I shouldn’t tell anyone about it, I ask myself “what would elladan want me to do?” And reach out instead : )
attheturnofthetide chapter 37 . 1/18
This is the most thorough and well-researched gap filler I have ever read. The fluidity of the story, the natural dynamic between the characters, the flow of development... I am in LOVE. Gilraen rubbed me the wrong way, frankly, because of her dislike of Elrond (I adore Elrond!) but I could understand why she disliked him. I also really liked Estel's relationship with the twins, and the way he began calling Elrond Atarinya. There is so much to say about this story. All I can do to summarize my thoughts is to tell you that this is a profound and beautiful read. Thank you for your hard work!
wswpub chapter 37 . 8/23/2017
What a very enjoyable story. it was believable, very well written (thank you), beautifully paced and thought out. I couldn't imagine writing this beautifully. It was interesting to see the twins as old as you made them. The grimness of their characters provided a depth to their emotion and fury. Then the nightmares of this child and the illness. I found myself trying to figure out what he had. I loved your Elrond as a father too.
I'm Hermes chapter 37 . 8/16/2017
A beautiful ending to a fantastic story! I absolutely loved every minute of it! As much as I love The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit will always be my first literary love, and The Valley Is Jolly is a wonderful companion piece to it, while still being an incredible work in its own right! It made me glad that Bilbo got the last word; once again, you captured his voice perfectly!

It was wonderful to see what the Wise and Mighty were up to during Bilbo's curious adventure with Thorin & Co.! And the relationships between Gandalf and Elrond, and Elrond and Estel, and Estel and Gilraen, and Gilraen and the twins, and the twins and Estel... it was all so wonderful! Thank you for this treasure! I loved every word! Never stop writing!
I'm Hermes chapter 31 . 8/16/2017
And so we see Aragorn's truest fear and temptation, and why the Ring had no sway over him! The Ring would never call to Aragorn, because the risk of the true king coming into power was too great a risk for Sauron, even if that power was gained by the machinations of his Ring. So instead the Enemy strikes at his heart, and urges him to disappear, to hide, to never seek power.

At least that's how I'm reading things. I may be mistaken.
I'm Hermes chapter 30 . 8/16/2017
Awww is Halion Halbarad's father?! I'm so glad he survived, and glad that Gilraen has someone of her own people to talk to!

I get chills whenever Saruman speaks. Was he even now working with the Enemy? I've always been unclear as to when exactly he fell from grace and wisdom.
I'm Hermes chapter 14 . 8/15/2017
The best convalescence Estel could have asked for: riding and swordplay!

It's such a shame that we don't get to see more of the White Council in the books. Or more of Saruman before he became corrupted by the Palantir. Or more of the working relationship between the great Elves of the world. I love that your fanfic takes us through some of these missing moments!

Apologies for the smaller number of reviews on this story. I get so interested in what I'm reading that I have to remind myself to review!
I'm Hermes chapter 8 . 8/15/2017
It's nice to see more of Bilbo's first visit to Rivendell, where he would spend so many years. I'd be interested to see Elrond's estimation of Mr Baggins once the dragon is slain and the Mountain retaken.
I'm Hermes chapter 2 . 8/15/2017
It is so interesting to view Thorin & Co. through the eyes of Elrond! I'm really enjoying seeing inside of Elrond's head! His irritation with the curiosity of Wizards would have been hilarious had Estel's circumstances not been so dire. And you've nailed both Thorin's and Bilbo's voices perfectly!

And the silly singing in the first chapter makes a lot more sense if they were wood elves and not Elrond's reserved and more serious household :p
the midnight Mel chapter 37 . 3/5/2017
I do not have the words to express how happy I am that I found this story. It was an awesome story, to be sure, and I loved getting to see into Elrond and the other inhabitants of Imladris during the Necromancer-era. (And could probably enthuse over that for a while if I chose to.) But I also read this at a time where I was able to see so many truths, about love and trust and maybe even understanding what my own mind does...to the point where calling it a good story just isn't enough anymore. It may sound odd, but you've done me a great service in writing and posting this. Thanks for sharing. :)