Reviews for Midsummer Commemoration
babyButters chapter 3 . 2/11/2013
You're right, this subject is not something all can agree on..but I'm glad you wrote it. I love it. Your writing style guaranteed a vivid picture of each party. I want more.
LadyLeelee87 chapter 1 . 5/1/2012
Wow I'm totally blown away by this story! I never expected to see Arnold and Helga in this way but you know what it blew my mind and enthralled me especially when Arnold took control of the situation (lol)

I like to see Arnold take charge because in the show, and most fanfics he's protrayed as this do the right thing kind of guy but I think your interpretation of him would be realistic in a relationship with Helga. While Arnold wouldn't lose the qualities that make him who he is. He wouldn't be afraid to let himself go once in awhile as long as Helga's by his side!

What really got me about this fanfic was the torrent of emotions displayed by the characters love, akwardness, tenderness, and above all a deep love connection felt by two people who need and care about each other very much!

You did a very good job with this story and I can't wait to read your other stories! Def going in my favs :)
LunarianPrincess chapter 3 . 3/1/2012
I love this. I love the eroticism, the realism, the honesty, but most of all, I love the tenderness that so few people see when they think or see or read of these things... thank you.
desired-hanyou-aly chapter 3 . 1/26/2012
I love this idea and I wish you would continue this. Thanks for sharing.
Sandra Strickland chapter 3 . 11/7/2011
Hello,

I wanted to congratulate you greatly because your writing and your control when telling your story. I’m not expert but I think you’re one of the top writers of this site.

I also wanted to say sorry because I haven’t reviewed your work yet. I’ve read other of your stories and all of them you show your mastery. I think when I first read this Midsummer... I was new in this fandom and was way too into Arnold and Helga being kids that maybe I got all flustered by the story; now can't be more the opposite. I think Pyrex Shards saw fit to comment about the need of let go the inhibitions and be open for new things. It also great the way Arnold and Helga characters fit to well in here.

The eroticism that your words exude is delightful and feels so palpable. It’s a pleasure to read. I curse when I turned around looking for my husband wishing to found him in the mood but I found him watching some stupid talk show in TV. If only he knew.

Well, two more things. First, I’m Spanish speaker and I read and study mainly Spanish and Latin-American literature, so I apologize for the ignorance but I wanted to ask you… you know, in order expand my culture (my Shakespearian knowledge is limited) . The verses you include in your story, like the one Helga says in the stairs before the chaos starts, are based or emulate determinate writer? Maybe some stories?

Lastly I wanna thank you for your others works here; I’ve read The Turntables and the sequel, as well as other one shots you write that I found lovely as stories or writing exercises as Ambush Bright, Pretty Saro; or some others about which I would love to read more as I Think I See the Light or In the Land of Winter. I think what I wanted to say is that your writings open us to wish to know more about English literature or American culture. He dicho.

Gracias
Pyrex Shards chapter 2 . 4/18/2010
First off, happy belated birthday!

I didn't know what to expect with another chapter of Midsummer. Really didn't. Given that chapter 1 was a very interesting take on Arnold and Helga's characters, I knew it was going to be a similar continuance to chapter 1, but that was it.

Which brings me to now. After reading this, I realize that Midsummer Commemoration has the exact same quality that drew me to read through your astoundingly good Turntables series.

In order to enjoy your stories, to really get into them and have fun with them, the reader has to let go of their inhibitions and be open to new things. Once the reader gets out of the judgmental trap, the real storyline emerges and it becomes very enjoyable and fun to read. Not to mention quite sexy. :)

And that, I think, is part of what you are trying to convey here. I'm thinking of what Madame Red tells Arnold, "All we really ask of you, Arnold, is to be open to our way of life, and not judge us, as we will be the last people on earth to judge you."

I love that message. If we stop judging, our life will be that much more full of interesting things, concepts, beliefs, etc.

Of course I can't leave a review without the OTP worship! I consider this a spiritual successor to Turntables. Helga is yet again taking Arnold out of his comfort zone, and she is the one taking control. All he has to do is let go and enjoy it, because she loves him and she won't let him drown. At the same time, she, as you wrote in the story, is very vulnerable to him. So she must test his resolve by pulling him into her world.

Yet another great fanfic! I'd say keep it up but I know you will. :)
Thundercatroar chapter 2 . 3/5/2010
To begin, Happy Birthday, and I hope you have many more!

You're an old soul, however, and I doubt that's going to be much of a problem for you.

I really enjoyed this chapter, even though there was the conspicuous lack of your special brand of smut which I have grown to both adore and envy.

The most remarkable aspect of the story was the lesson on acceptance, and the willingness of others to embrace both a different point of view, and a lifestyle to go with it, but their willingness to accept one who is on the fence about accepting them.

Join us, or leave us be in peace.

Wonderful job on this bungee jump!

I can't help but wonder if Rhonda Lloyd and Thad Gammelthorpe are revelers at Madame Red's parties too.

Dress up is definitely Rhonda's thing, and Eugene *did* say that Curly looked good in a dress...

(yes I'm just kidding)

'Roar
Completely Bunned chapter 1 . 12/5/2009
OMG LOL That was so brilliantly awesome and original and erotic and funny haha it made me laugh so hard! I totally picture adult Helga to be naughty with her Football Head, and his dense self is sure to fall in all of her traps! Great fic!
Light chapter 1 . 8/22/2009
Very interesting!
Pyrex Shards chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
Okay, I read this at work while sitting in my cubicle. I had one finger on the down arrow while the mouse was hovering over the minimize button... I seriously had another one of my "I'm getting away with this" moments, that I usually have while reading these particular works of yours. I was grinning the entire time.

I seriously can't say too much more because I'm speechless. I do think though that this story is polarizing. People are either going to like it or hate it. But as you said in your notes, you wrote this for yourself, and I respect that a lot. Parts of this did make me uncomfortable as I read through. But a story is supposed to evoke an emotional response, or it fails as a story. This story succeeds.

I'm wondering what Madam Red's New Years Eve and Halloween parties are like. ;)
Thundercatroar chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
LOL! I laughed at this, not because it was bad, just at the sheer manipulative power of Helga Pataki!

I love how even when he thinks he has a good grip on the girl he loves, and knows everything about her, she can still surprise and throw him for a good sized loop! XD

I can see Gertie and Phil being like this when they were younger, actually. That had some ribald experience in Mighty Pete, by Phil's own admission.

Anyhoo...

It's sheer art how you juxtapose the old with the new, the zoot suited ne'er do well in the 21st century, reading your writing is stepping into a 20's speak easy, and the knock is always right! D

Jesus, you're such a good writer!

'Roar