Reviews for A Woman Lost
GreyDove chapter 1 . 1/25/2010
Having only read a little of your work, I'm not sure if this is or isn't your best, but it's quite good. I enjoy Isadora's character a lot (mostly her interactinos with Legault!), and wish there was more about her in the game, so this was a nice bit of insight into her potential thought process. Thanks!
kageshoujo chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
I'm adding it to my faves simply because of the beautiful theme this short work is about. (And I'm a pretty pathetic writer when it's supposed to be a short work, so additional kudos!)

This gives a dose of reality in the game that is Fire Emblem, at what a soldier really feels like and thinks about. And Isadora is the perfect person to think about these things, especially with her supports with Legault. I might think that this piece would have been better written in Isadora's perspective, because all the while reading this, I was trying to put a face to the words. The fic turns the questions and judgment back at Isadora, and I've wrestled with myself trying to put a face to the words-because I can't just leave it as some third person narrator. It feels like someone who's also there-maybe Legault, but not quite. Gaah... *is puzzled out of her mind*
DarkBlaziken chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
I'm simply amazed at how much you've put into this story with so few words.

interesting in-depth character analysis of Isadora, not to mention great themes brought up. Or at least I think you meant there to be these themes.

Anyway, great job!
LittleGreenBudgie chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
For starters, let me say that I love introspective stories. The mist-thin romance that is LegaultIsadora intrigues me greatly, and I think that you’ve done a wonderful job on this. Absolutely wonderful.

[The army sat around the campfire, talked and laughed at jokes, at the follies of their friends and comrades. Could the Black Fang really have been like…that? Like /them/?] I think that getting Isadora to equate the “bad guys” with their own army must have been a very hard thing for her, and this doubt here—as opposed to saying “She can figure it out, easy” was a good thing indeed.

[The commander would teach them how to live, she remembered him saying. She wondered if he was one of them, one of the men who had learned to live thanks to Brendan Reed.] Given the state of Bern’s economy and leadership, I think this is a very likely possibility. What with the caste system and all, I think Legault—a commoner, and probably a foreigner to boot—would have had a nearly impossible time being anything more than a criminal in Bern. I like how you acknowledged this, and how Isadora keeps bringing the Fang back to Legault, as if she can’t keep her mind off of him.

[What could she possibly know about life and love and—and /honor/?] That dash, that sudden pause in her thoughts of the Fang, struck me as a particularly good tool.

[Morphs, they called them, but they had eyes and noses and mouths—they /looked human/—and she wondered if, once upon a time, they had been.] This was a very poignant line, and her worry over it all seems to hit an almost feverish point at this.

All in all, this was simultaneously a wonderful story and a terrifying one. Her thoughts , as she slowly reasons that she is no better than the Fang, really sent a shiver down my spine. Great job, and thank you so very much for this!
Kitsilver chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
I like this piece. You delve into Isadora's character and through her ask the question: what is the difference between oneself and one's enemy in war? Dehumanization of the enemy, believing they are different and worth less than oneself, is almost essential if one is going to kill the enemy. So it's interesting to see this character question what she has always known and fought for and see the enemy - and herself - in a different way.

Your Isadora feels spot on. She seems noble and righteous, aware of the difference between right and wrong, but capable of empathy and seeing through another's eyes to realize that right and wrong aren't black and white.

I like this line: "She wondered if he was one of them, one of the men who had learned to live thanks to Brendan Reed." Learning to live, finding life and purpose, is the gift this band of assassins once gave. How unexpected. And naming Brendan as its leader makes him human, someone who can touch and be touched, instead of some shadowy figure.

The last paragraph where all of Isadora's conflicts and doubts come together is also really well done.

Nice one! I'd like to see more pieces like this, exploring this character and asking thoughtful questions.
Shimizu Hitomi chapter 1 . 8/3/2009
I actually really like this one because no one ever writes about Isadora, and here you've hit on some of the more interesting aspects of her.

I agree that Isadora must have had biases and assumptions regarding the Black Fang - I'll bet EVERYONE did. And I really enjoy reading Isadora's thought processes as she works out the contradictions inherent in the group. I mean, I am far from being a Black Fang fangirl, but obviously not a hater either, so I really like seeing this kind of balanced insight coming from an intelligent, thoughtful character being forced to challenge her original preconceptions.

And this is something I didn't mention in the other review, but I love how important her identity as a woman is to her. Just the simple fact that she *notices* the difference in the way Eliwood's army treats women and the normal treatment of women. The way she appreciates Legault's compliments - although she wants to be accepted in what is typically a man's job, she doesn't want to sacrifice her femininity either. And I absolutely love the way in this fic she begins to doubt and reconsider her motivations and her... righteousness in light of her new understanding of the Black Fang. (I especially like the way she just concludes that they must have been "interesting", without posing any value judgments on them.)

This may just be me and my love of philosophical/moral/ethical dilemmas speaking here (I HAVE WEIRD TASTES), but I would love to see more of this kind of introspection in this fandom - introspection that's not there just to give the character an excuse to ANGST, but real, genuine doubt.

Also I did feel that this was a tightly written piece; it's short but doesn't waste space like most introspective stuff. It may pose a question or a bunch of questions without really answering them, but I think that's what I like about it: the fact that there are no easy answers.