Reviews for Tomatoes and Baby Birds
Miyo86 chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
Aw TraSan! So sweet and sad at the same time.I enjoyed this as a looking to the future, rebuilding fic and I also I loved the allegory between the birds and Sam&Dean. Awesome job!
Madebyme chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
This is want and wish for season 5, all in one little fic. It's unrealistic to think that things will be forgotten and that one little conversation here and there will fix things because after everything that has happened it's going to take time for trust and forgiveness to take hold and you totally nailed that here.

I guess in my own mind I have the reunion of our boys being a slow process much like the slow process of dragging them apart, it's going to take time to bring them back together again. But this fic draws on what's important, it's the trying that counts not the failure, it's knowing that someone loves you enough to do that.

So this really worked for me, the metaphors and analogy’s were fitting to the show and it also catered perfectly to my sappy sugary side who wants these brothers to be brothers again. Well done, this is an awesome little fic! Take care, Abbi.x
bhoney chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Wow, great job on this. Love the metaphors you used, and they way you used such ordinary things-ravaged tomato plants, dead birds-as an analogy for what the boys have been going through.

I thought this was really insightful: "Dean wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable partially surrounded by hysterical girls and in spite of his rather gloomy outlook, Sam smiled. While his soft spot was dogs, Dean’s had always been kids." I love Dean with kids.

I really liked how you used the tomato plants, and Sam's thoughts on how that related to him. And this: "“I know,” Dean said. “It isn’t fair. Sometimes though, no matter how much we want to protect someone, we just can’t.” Sam struggled to breathe past the lump in his throat. The emotion in Dean’s voice wasn’t just compassion. “It doesn’t matter if she tried, they still died,” Jasmine said, the pitch of her voice rising. “It does matter,” Sam said, his voice hoarse. He stepped around his brother and Dean looked up, noticing his arrival for the first time. “It makes all the difference. They knew she loved them enough to try.”" Aw...*sniffle* Love the analogy, and that Sam could tell Dean was talking about more than just the birds, and that Sam let him know that it meant a lot to him that he'd tried to protect Sam. Also love the comparison of Dean to a mother bird, so sweet and yet fitting, especially in this case. Also, funny, if you think about it. I'm sure Dean would be horrified, LOL.

Really sweet and heartwarming and unexpectedly deep. Very well done!
Dianne chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
That was a nice story. I really loved how Sam came out and told Dean and the girls that it made all the difference that the mama bird tried to save the babies and that they knew that she loved them. Oh, you had a storm like the one in this story? wow! We just had a terrible one too, all our basements are completely wrecked by flooding. They're calling this the summer that never was in our part of Ontario.
Xdaisy chainX chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Awh, such a sad and pretty opening chapter. I love the healing you have going on between the brothers. Its just like I would imagine it will be on the actual show. :)

Poor little birds. Anyways very sweet

loved it

Vanessa Sgroi chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Aww, this was so sweet. This was an amazing line:

"Sam stared at the cracked and oozing tomatoes covered in crawling black insects. He understood how they felt. Once you’d been ripped open, the scavengers were just waiting to dive in for a nibble."
sunnyjunedays chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Hi, Loved this. It's great to see the healing process in under way with the first hurdle being cleared. It's not going to be quick but it will happen. x
DeansBabyBird chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Hey Hunny.

I like it. It's gentle and soft and sorta sentimental ( i mean that in a nice way. After season four and so so wanting the boys to love each other again this is nice. Bev x
J.A. Carlton chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Wow, that was positively beautiful! and Pitch perfect for early season 5!

Absolutely fantastic job TraSan! Loved it!
vonnie836 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
How sweet this was. I think it was better than a WeeChester fic, because you used the birds to bring the brother's closer again. Sure, Sam took the tomatoes that wear torn open and crawling with ants as a picture for what was happening to him, but then there was the other side. How true, sometimes it's not in succeeding but rather in trying. As long as you give it your best, the other person knows you care. Great story. Hugs, Vonnie
deangirl1 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
I love that this popped out. What a great moment between the bros! This feels very right - that it will take a great deal of time to re-establish the trust and it will eat at both of them. I think you did a great job capturing how this would (will) affect the boys - Sam broody and hurt, Dean slowly unable to keep himself from gradually forgiving his brother and wanting to take care of him again... lovely.
IheartSam7 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
*sniff* that was *sniff* so beautiful. I loved every word. The unspoken bond, the stolen glances, such brotherly love. Pretty much a perfect fic!
1Pagan3 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
amazing how something innocuous can bring further understanding to our two idjits. ;) awesome!
shelby02 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
This was just lovely. Thank you!
Ash8 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
Another wonderful story hun. I just loved it. I honestly had a tear in my eye at the end.

I am desperate to see how our boys fare in S5. I hope that they too can come to this understanding.

Thanks for sharing.