Reviews for Tomatoes and Baby Birds
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
They may have forgiven each other but you are right, trust will take time to get back, but at least they are making inroads.

Nice little distrations with Sam helping Mildred dispose of the ruined tomatoes and Dean talking to Jen and Jasmine about the baby birds.

Great brotherly moment at the end, but typical of Dean that it involved food!
vampyfreak chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
To go in with tomatoes and dead baby birds and find a way to fit it in with Spn so perfectly, there's talent there!
ukfan101 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
good job with this story...I lied how you had the boys forgive each other but that the trust was taking longer to get back...which is something that I read Kripke said was going to be happening in Season 5...well done
pinkphoenix1985 chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
this is wonderful! I'm sorry to hear about the tomatoes and baby birds but what a great brotherly moment at the end!
skag trendy chapter 1 . 8/5/2009
This is a lovely little fic with a sweet but sad analogy. The boys' try to protect each other as best they can, and may be that's all the knowledge they need. The trust will come later.

Cheers for sharing, hon.

Kind regards,

ST x
lunasgathering39 chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
I'm actually kinda glad you didn't go the wee!chesters route. This worked perfectly. It'll be interesting to see how them coming back together plays out on-screen. If they're smart, it'll be just like this, slow and unsure until just the right thing is said. Great story! You made me tear up a bit. _
Awesomesauce123 chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
Absolutely beautiful. The raw, unadulterated emotion in this story was heartbreaking.

I especially love the little brotherly moment at the end. This story was rather stressful, unraveling the tension between the brothers wonderfully, and the schmoopy moment at the end really made me smile. :)

Your details are beautiful, full of emotion. The brothers were perfectly in-character. As usual, amazing writing!

~Shadow
carocali chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
I'll take full blame if I keep getting stories like this! There IS so much sweetness here that it's given me a cavity. My heart aches with how badly these boys want to make things right but just can't find the way to do it.

“But they were babies and so, so little. They didn’t have feathers or anything yet,” Jasmine said, wiping tears from her face. “It’s not fair.”

“I know,” Dean said. “It isn’t fair. Sometimes though, no matter how much we want to protect someone, we just can’t.”

Sam struggled to breathe past the lump in his throat. The emotion in Dean’s voice wasn’t just compassion. “It doesn’t matter if she tried, they still died,” Jasmine said, the pitch of her voice rising.

“It does matter,” Sam said, his voice hoarse. He stepped around his brother and Dean looked up, noticing his arrival for the first time. “It makes all the difference. They knew she loved them enough to try.”

The brothers exchanged a knowing look and, in that moment of understanding, a slow, wide smile graced Dean’s face healing the cracks in Sam’s heart just a little. Things weren’t perfect, they weren’t even all that good, but every day they were getting better."

I mean that right there says it all! It's the little things that let them know that they will make it; that things WILL be alright. It's getting the pizza to stay in and finding a shirt on the bed.

What a lovely nugget of hope for our boys. I certainly don't wish baby birds an ill fate, but if it produces stories like this, at least something good has come of something tragic.

Thanks for sharing!

Caroline
Phx chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
Tee hee - we both posted tonight! We're on fire, girl, lol!

Man, I love this little fic. I love the way you are putting our boys back together, piece by piece. It is a painful process like healing any wound is and this is definitely one heck of a wound.

And the aftermath of the storm. How poignant - more tragedy but with a lesson and perhaps another level of healing.

Aww...
lostatc chapter 1 . 8/4/2009
You are a writing machine these days and I'm loving every minute of it. This was nice. Best rendition of post-season 4 Sam I've read yet - not too melancholy not to I did it because I had to. Dean's ability to forgive but not trust is something I expect to see on the show, hope they manage it just as well as you have.

Thanks for a good read before I go to sleep, needed a little positive in life tonight.

Kim