Reviews for Fork in the Road
anakinpadme05yahoo.com chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Hey!

Just wanted to drop in and leave a note telling you how much I love your stories. This was absolutely a joy to read :D

Here are some of my favorite parts:

"The night before, they’d gone back to their room and Sam had fallen asleep to the sights and sounds of Dean meticulously cleaning and oiling his shotgun" ~LOL

"It was a marked change to Dean’s need to stay in the shadows, and Sam hoped it was a return to his old form, when he truly enjoyed showing off from time to time, and letting himself be seen." ~ Aw! So sad that Dean feels the need to hide himself away! But its wonderful he's coming out of his shell a little bit :)

"Sam felt the words like another punch to the jaw. Not just the words, but the anger, the vitriol behind them. Ruby was a tool, a thing, something he was using to get the job done. They were on deck for the apocalypse and Sam was willing to use anything and everything necessary to stop it. If he got to rip Lilith’s head off with his bare hands then that was a bonus." Oh Sam! *shakes head sadly*

Now this isn't a favorite part but I found it extremely poignant

"Sam opened his mouth, but Dean held up a hand to stop him. “You know what? Whatever you’re about to say is a lie, so why don’t we just stop right there. Save you the trouble of tellin’ it and me the trouble of pretendin’ I almost believe it.”

Sam could feel his blood rushing in his ears. Dean just wouldn’t listen. Sam tried and tried and Dean refused to understand. The older they got and the deeper into this mess they got, Sam understood how much grayer the world was. There was no black and white anymore. Anything was fair game if it got the job done. Ruby, demon blood, his powers, they were necessary to get the job done, and the world was going to go to hell in a hand basket if he didn’t use every resource at his command to bring down Lilith and her cronies."

This rings so true to how Sam was probably thinking! He's so focused on killing Lilith he's forgotten that he shouldn't stoop to their level to achieve his ends because then how is he any better? Like the ghost of Mitch said, what's the point of winning if you have no honor? But Sam's question about how was it worth keeping that honor if there was no one left is a very good question. I can understand his reasoning for doing what he's doing even if I disagree and want slap him upside the head. And of course Dean won't 'listen'! Dean can't trust Sam at his word now because he's been lying non-stop rarely being honest and Dean is catching him in those lies, making the chasm between them only grow. Both brothers made mistakes this past season but Sam...man...every time he compromised his values in favor of 'getting the job done' he fell closer and closer to the darkness. Sure Dean didn't react well when he found out Sam was using his powers but considering Sam making him promise to kill him if he ever went darkside and such I find it hard to blame him. Not to mention that little threat from the angels...

And what you wrote about the world being gray not black and white...it reminded me of a song. Its called "Slow Fade" and I think it describes what happened to Sam perfectly.

This is the chorus:

"Its a slow fade when

you give yourself away

Its a slow fade when

black and white turn to gray

Thoughts invade,

choices are made,

a price will be paid

When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day"

and this verse...

"Be careful little ears

what you hear

When flattery leads to compromise,

the end is always near"

There's a lot more in the song and if you haven't heard it, I highly recommend you do.

Its just easier to think of the world in shades of gray then deal with the harsh realities of black and white. I do think there are a few gray areas that require careful attention and handling based on one's moral compass, but to compromise said moral compass because its easier...Its like what Yoda said about Vader and the dark side of the Force. Its the quick and easy path to choose the darkness because keeping in the light becomes too difficult and the result is great suffering. Probably why I admire Dean so much. He lasted thirty years of torture in hell before he cracked and set aside his beliefs in favor of escaping the pain and torturing . And he continues to suffer for his choice once Castiel rescues him. But the big thing for me is Dean acknowledges his mistakes and the darkness he carried -still carries- inside himself. The darkness that is purely human nature and not demon blood. Its what sets him apart from Sam and I think a part of what makes Dean a righteous man unlike John or Sam.

Now this little note has become a monster so I end it with this: Please, please, please keep up the fantastic writing and I look forward to reading more of your stories! :D
marinawings chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
great story-lots of fun, with a nice, twisty plot and plenty of winchester awesomeness. you write the brothers so well. they talk like themselves, act like themselves, the works. i loved dean using "a tone that was straight out of the John Winchester, I-will-not-put-up-with-your-crap-and-I’m-heavily-armed school of encouragement." that's brilliant. awesome story!
JadeDjo chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Great blend of casefic and angst! Good Job!
Lisa Paris chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Oh, you are so freaking clever. I love the way all your stories are metaphors for whatever trouble and strife is going on between the two brothers.

Golf - who would have thought it?

And you managed to make it funny and creepy and interesting and sad. Sam's behaviour towards Dean has often made me gnash my teeth, right from the very first ever episode, but Season Four Sam has really made me punch drunk and fighting mad.

Sorry, all about keeping Dean safe and sound?

No way. He began his spiral out of sheer revenge - just like he joined Dean in the first Season after Jessica was killed - out of sheer revenge. Gah, I really hope he's learned his lesson this time, and that one-track ego will have reduced a little in size.

As for Dean - my heart aches for him, yet again. You manage to write him so honestly, exposing all his hurt and vulnerabilities, in-spite of all the banter and crack. Great story and excellent writing. Thanks.
I'mcalledZorro chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Great story (as always of course!). I really enjoyed reading it, and hope you ave another one up soon! See u then.
Alec's Angel chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
This was a great story. I loved it. Especially loved the ending. Dean looks great in everything including that orange prison uniform, but seriously, he looks hotter than hot in a black T-shirt and jeans. Thanks for that amazing mental picture. I'll stop drooling in a few minutes. Maybe.
UpstairsMind chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Aw, sad but good chapter. But I agree. Sam can be very stubborn. 3
fearlessgoddess2 chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Awesome story! Totally loved it! The 'doing the right thing and still being dead' thing reminded me of a Dreseden Files book series quote, where one of Dresden's customers sent him, as a dark joke, a tombstone with hsi name on it and the quote, "He died doing the right thing." :)
Sue Pokorny chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
I think this was the best justification of Sam's actions that I've read. Almost made me feel sorry for him... almost. I'm still of the opinion that his pride got in the way - not to mention Ruby, bad judgement and demon blood, but I still like your thought process. Very believable.

And Dean golfing - I can so picture it! I'm betting Jensen has a pretty smooth stroke... and on that note, I'll just say thanks for the great story!

Sue
suz mc chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Wonderful tale, sugar. Enjoyed this largely.
suz mc chapter 5 . 8/14/2009
whoa! loved the cpr scene! And the spririt killing cheaters. Fantastic!
suz mc chapter 4 . 8/14/2009
Dean’s heart was pounding. He opened his mouth and immediately shut it again. Right. Simple. Just tell Sam.

Weak.

Holding me back.

Dean cleared his throat. “So you find anything?” He grabbed the fast food bag, sat down on the edge of the other bed, and dug out a couple of burgers.

I love the contrast between what Dean is feeling on the inside and how he reacts on the outside to cover. Lovely storytelling.
lunasgathering39 chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Great job of capturing all the frustration of season 4. Both of them were so sure they were doing the right thing, that they were the only one who could fix things and couldn't see the other's point of view. Excellent ending, Dean trying to straighten out the jackass. _
UpstairsMind chapter 5 . 8/14/2009
Loved this chapter. Especially Dean's weird affair with his shotgun. xD
Amy chapter 6 . 8/14/2009
Lol. Dean is something special, who couldn't smile? And it is his little brother duty to be amused. ;) And man to I adore Tom and Ed. Heh. They knew all along. Sharp old guys. People don't give them enough credit. Orchestrated the whole thing. That's just awesome. I'll say it again, that's Dean and Sam in the future. Lol.

I'm so glad Dean had the foresight to say Sam was a good guy. All those cheap shots were really adding to hurt, anger and desperation. Having something to lift him up was just what he needed. It's just too darn bad they were stuck in an awful situation and couldn't come to an agreement.

Lol. Ah. Nothing like leaving on a happy note. I love the boys smiling instead. And hey, burning those ugly smocks is a favor to everyone. ;)
109 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »