Reviews for Eroica
pageinatypewriter chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
Ahhh this is absolutely wonderful! One of those rare interactions in fics that could more than easily be canon. And I'm not just saying that because Beethoven is one of my favorite historical figures from any era.

That last line of Enjolras' - wow I love that. I think it's going to echo in my mind for many years as well
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 1/30/2010
A great story. Very well written.
AmZ chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Enjolras is such a cult leader, Jesus... the man makes my skin crawl, honestly.

Great fic, though. Now I want to go listen to Eroica myself.
Mme Bahorel chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
This is terrific. Enjolras as an actual character with interests :) And poor Marius, desperate but unable to bring himself to take any risk. I just want to hug him and then push him in the right direction.
Bramblefox chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
This...is nine kinds of fantastic. I especially liked the 'flared nostril' part that was tucked in there-ah, Marius and his doltiness. I love it.
BeBopALula chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
Good God, but that's beautiful. The Napoleon argument scene is probably my favorite in the whole novel, so I'm thrilled to see fic about it. I like both Marius and Enjolras so much in this.
ColonelDespard chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
How do I adore this? Let me count the ways...

I'll get the pretty out of the way first. Nice canon-appropriate mentions of Enjolras' hair and gorgeousness (Le Bel Enjolras!). The visual of emerging from the dark to see him bathed in sunlight, leaning against the tree and reading, is stunning (and I'm terribly tempted to try to sketch it).

I love this scene - a logical extension of the Bonaparte confrontation, and Enjolras staying behind after the others had walked out to try to reach Marius. I particularly like the fact that while your Enjolras is completely on mission (as he should be), he shows the charm that Hugo refers to. And - gloriously - there's not a hint of the prissy, shrieking, abusive, petty Enjolras that is so often seen in fanon.

His tactics with Marius were both believable and capable of several interpretations as to his motives. The technique of using the "family" embrace has been used in recruiting people, particularly those who feel isolated and are often young, into everything from cults and terrorist cells to religious and positive activist groups. I've no doubt that Enjolras really does see the ABC as a family and wants Marius to embrace it, but whether this is positive, negative or somewhere else on the spectrum is debatable. Coupled with the fact that he has also appealed to Marius' intellect and ideals, I'd lean towards positive, but there's certainly some manipulation going on of a particularly vulnerable young man, although one could argue to what extent Enjolras is conscious of this.

And the last lines are just...just...beautiful. Perfect. They'll stay with me for a long time as well, Marius.
LesMisLoony chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
This. Is. So good. I was giggling aloud halfway through it-poor Marius, you easily-offended little thing! And hurray for Enjolras being both believable and human! Hugo couldn't really even manage that one. Wow, I feel like I just read a deleted scene from the Book.
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 1 . 8/9/2009
Okay this is a review for most of your stories because the rest of the review thingies were blocked for me.

Author of a Crime Hidden in the Darkeness:

Absolutely Amazing! I wanted to start a revolution right then and there. Also tragic.

Crimes of the Light:

The most inspiring fic I have read in a long time. Well done.

Daisies:

I just read Old Goriot by Balzac and I thoroughly enjoyed this fic. It is a shame there is no Comedie Humaine fandom.

Eroica:

Off to an interesting start. Unless it is a one shot in which case well done!
wertherfieber chapter 1 . 8/9/2009
I love this. I love it. Enough that I'm not even sure what to say beyond that. I love the insight into Marius's psyche. I love Enjolras's dialogue, proselytising for the Republic but still coming across as an actual person. I love that Marius is the one that comes across as rather aloof here - because honestly I think that's a more honest interpretation of their relationship. It fits right into Hugo's description of the events. And um, also, I love it.