Reviews for The Sadder But Wiser Girl
audiblyausten chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
This was awesome! I find Harold, especially when he's so caring, undeniably sweet. My favorite part was him urging Marian to let it all out. 3
bballgirl22 chapter 1 . 5/10/2010
Hi again. I really lkove this story. It's adorable. But I just have a question. When you said "After what happened between them at the music emporium in early October, he had not allowed his lips to brush her neck even in the briefest of caresses." what happened in early october? Thanks and keep up the good work.
Emery Saks chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
This is a fantastic look at the inner workings of Marian Paroo, and I'm glad you wrote it!The movie tended to gloss over her past, and for her to be as ostracized as she was, I felt like we were done an injustice by not showing us more of what caused it.

Harold, who can sometimes be a little too brash, was so wonderfully sweet in this story, and I enjoyed getting to see his softer, protective side - something we don't always get.

His following her, and carefully offering the coat and keys was quite touching. I like that we see he's realizing her boundaries and learning how to lightly step around them without alerting her to the fact.

Although somewhat shocking and a bit harrowing - Ed Griner was a major creep - I like that Marian's true spirit followed through and that she faced her fears. Harold's irritation with her for returning was a nice touch, too.

In the end, his tender caresses and her willingness to accept go a long way to further the credibility of their relationship and truly illustrate how far they've come since he first came to River City.

A lovely fic and nice and fluffy at the end :)
idinakristinfan chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
So, I just read all of your stories in basically one sitting. Wow! You're totally awesome. You've captured these characters perfectly. I can't wait to read more.
ForeverJulie chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
I love the way he gets her to open up to him and that Marian also has to share a bit of her past. It's always alluded to that people treated her badly but we never actually get any of the details. Very nice and steamy at the end too ;)
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 8/12/2009
This was TERRIFIC! You have created a really excellent narrative that establishes Marion's feelings for Mr. Madison in a moving manner consistent with the play/movie, and at the same time gives some background and reason for Marion's level of physical/sexual inhibition. And Harold is an engaging, sympathetic listener. This was very well thought out, and very well done, with the usual great ability to capture characterization through dialogue! Brava!

Thanks for yet another good read,

Clio
Araminta18 chapter 1 . 8/11/2009
I love (so much!) that the town has to "help" plan the wedding, and that the Events Committee gets involved. Cracks me up. :) And I love Marian and Harold's gentle banter about the town's involvement in the wedding-cute and sweet.

Hey! Marian in the library-for some reason I like "Marian in the library" scenes. I'm weird. :) The mood you create about the ancient history section is great-Marian's apprehension and fear, and the general gloom of a dim-lit, rarely used room, combined with the suspense, is fantastic. Had me looking over my own shoulder!

Aw, Harold's so cute, sneaking up on Marian. Although even without Marian's past history, he's doing a dangerous thing-dark corner, Marian thinks she's alone...heck, I might have slapped him! :) I like how we see Harold's bewilderment, especially since we as the readers are as yet just as bewildered as Harold. Leads up quite nicely to the explanation later.

Why does it not surprise me that Marian never goes on "aimless strolls"? In the movie she always has such a determined gait; the contrast between then and now really shows how shaken up she is. Nice reminder. And Harold follows-such a sweetie! :) And good for him for turning the tables on her-she accepts his past, and she needs to realize that he loves her and accepts her just as much as she accepts him. Good escalation of trust, and making Marian realize the give and take that needs to happen in their relationship.

Hey, the backstory! :D Like the bit about Mrs. Shinn not being a native of River City-"that's rich" indeed! :) I like your explanation of what exactly the relationship between Marian and Mr. Madison was-it makes a lot of sense, and leads perfectly into why the town thinks she was a scarlet woman. And that encounter with Ed Griner-interesting, when contrasted with Marian's line in the song about how he backs her into the ancient history shelf "everytime he comes into the library". Her "Iowa Stubborness" and everything-she's going to bury her true fright and not mention Ed's advances, but only casually mention it, because truly talking about it (or truly thinking about it) is too horrible for her. Quite the stoic, reserved Iowan herself, our Marian is.

And poor Harold, comparing himself to that kind of men, and again being reassured by Marian. Isn't it interesting, that though Harold had the same intentions, but because Marian decided to trust him, or at least love him, he became worthy of such trust and love? But then, he never tried to force himself on her. And later, when they start kissing in the cornfield, Harold has all the opportunity to make Marian into that scarlet woman that Ed Griner thought she was, but he doesn't (even if it is the lack of physical comfort that stops him! :D)

So that's where her fondness for older men came! :D (And yea for the Scarlet Pimpernel reference-I must admit, he is preferable to Lancelot and Romeo in my mind... :D)

And I like the ending reference to the Events Committee's plans-nice tieback to the happy mood at the beginning of the story. Everything is the same, but different. Loverly story, as always! :D
broadwaygirl0217 chapter 1 . 8/11/2009