Reviews for Nightmares
machievelli chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Posted 26 January 2014, at the Starwarsknights web site and the Lucasforums Coruscant Entertainment Center in my The Critic's Two Cents.

Some of the work I read is what I consider worthy of a professional. These are marked as Picks of the Week. While they are posted on Starwarsknights I am adding the best of the week where applicable.

TSL aboard Ebon Hawk: Night terrors stalk the crew...

The piece starts as a lot of nightmares do, with something so depressingly normal, goes through a brief period of surrealism, then into terror. The end of chapter one had me a bit shocked, though considering how the Council treated her after her return, it should not have.

Eight chapters long, I did look forward to know that it isn't only her suffering this, and I wanted to read more.

Pick of the Week
LadyArin chapter 8 . 6/16/2010
Dreams are bizarre things, aren't they? Good work on all of them.

Gotta love that gizka, too.
Caius Lucullus chapter 8 . 9/9/2009
Thanks for writing, these chapters are beautiful. I loved Revan inventing sentient hydrospanners.

Thank you very much.
sharinganavenger chapter 8 . 9/7/2009
Nice story. Some of your characterizations seemed a little straightforward to me, but your writing style is very engaging. The dream method was interesting; you really captured the shifting scenes and objects that pass time in that reality. Glad to have read it.
TheManApart chapter 6 . 8/21/2009
Damn, and I thought I'd had some pretty messed up dreams in my life.

But honestly, damn good story so far. Hope to see more awesomeness with it. : ) I find myself wondering, do assassin droids dream of butchered sheep? (Philip K. Dick reference for anyone who doesn't get it.)
Mithostwen chapter 4 . 8/20/2009
Great job keeping us good and confused as to what Bao-Dur's act was going to be the whole time, while adding to the suspense by having everyone else be so ridiculous and unhelpful. I don't know how fluffy stuffed gizkas and Mical's hilarious obsession with his hats created so much tension, but you pulled it off! There was just that undertone that something is very, very wrong throughout, underneath the cheerfulness... very dreamlike that way. And the whole thing made the part where they announce it'll be the MSG so much more of a shock; I think I felt Bao's dread just as much as he did. And having him look to the General, and knowing he'll obey her no matter what... wow, just gives me chills. Great stuff. This might be the best one so far, I can't decide.
Mithostwen chapter 3 . 8/20/2009
Thanks for the nice response to my review! Lots of authors don't reply, so it really does make me happy to hear back, and to know that you liked my feedback. :-)

Anyway, another very good chapter. I admit the blood smearing bit was kind of creepy, but I suppose it IS a nightmare, and it fits with the portrayal of Mira as a predator, and her sort of identity crisis over being a hunter who doesn't want to kill and whatnot. So, moving on, great job with the moment when she realized SHE was the prey-I could totally feel her horror as the tables turned! So intense! The idea of feeling her death coming, and describing it as a taste in her mouth, stood out for me (though in a literal sense it doesn't make sense, figuratively it really makes it feel real, which is cool). You're good at manipulating words like that. Seriously. "Panic flaring up in her chest", "The metallic touch of death dancing on her tongue," I could go on, but you just have a lot of cool turns of phrase. Oh, and the line about a mynock in the headlamps of a swoop? Awesomeness. I love that you took the time to use Star Wars universe metaphors!
Mithostwen chapter 2 . 8/19/2009
This is a fantastic story! I mean it. Yes, the characters are acting strangely, but they have to in order for it to seem like a real dream. It's hard to invent dreams, with the right mix of nonsense and symbolism and logic, and you do it really well. And somehow you pull it off so that the essence of every character still shows through-even better than if they were acting "normally" where they don't always say what they're thinking, etc. It's like... they're all caricatures of themselves. And at least in my opinion, you nailed the Exile's and Atton's greatest fears (they're the only two I've read so far) and kept whoever is dreaming in character despite the ridiculous circumstances... That's what makes this story so good. You pull in all the little details, like Atton hating droids, and twist it so it has another meaning, and even what they focus on (the Exile keeping track of what everyone is doing, Atton just concerned with her and annoyed at distractions-I loved his sarcastic argument with the gizka by the way), it's just so GOOD! I also like that there are certain things that carry over between chapters... interested to see where that's going. Anyway, I'm really enjoying reading this, and I'll stop rambling at you now. Keep it up. :-)