Reviews for Sanosuke Sagara: Ace Detective
Animercom chapter 4 . 7/5
This was a great story and I really admire your skill as a writer for being able to change your writing style to fit an oldie detective novel or movie. I could never do that. While this is an AU and therefore some liberties with the RK series and characters are taken, with parallels between the Bakumatsu and WWII and other similar details make the story and characters stronger. I especially liked the part where Sano talks about how Kenshin can ramble on and on about swordsmanship which bothers Sano. This never happened in the main series, but I can totally envision the funny scene in my mind. The idea that everyone has more of an American name is also nice touch. Although Kenshin going by the name of Ken reminds of me Ken from Barbie which couldn't be farther from the truth. XD The kid showing up in the climax and killing Kantrell and Crowell was a little random (and a bit confusing until I reread the scene again). Perhaps having Crowell accidentally killing Kantrell might have been better? But that's a little hard to believe. Hmm... Regardless the climax was still good and suspenseful.

The ending (minus the epilogue) was a bit abrupt, but not too abrupt that it necessarily needed an epilogue. Even so, the epilogue was a nice addition to the story. I just wish it could have been a bit longer and gone into a tad more details. While it's clear that Sano and Megumi get together in the end, the exact nature of Kenshin and Kaoru's relationship is in the dark. I suppose considering their role in the story was small that the epilogue wouldn't include it. I guess that's the Kenshin x Kaoru lover in me that wants it explicitly stated or a least heavily hinted at. And don't worry about it being sappy. Sappy is good! :) This was a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and I thank you for writing it. Another good one, Omasu!
My Whispers In The Dark chapter 4 . 1/10
First story I read about detectives and is really very good, I can almost imagine all scenarios and characters as if watching a movie, I really liked reading it.
destructivedoll chapter 4 . 8/3/2010
I loved your story, especially the style! It was so like those old fashioned detective movies, I could see everything in black and white and practically hear Sano's voice talking like they do in the movies! Fantastic, I adored the story, and it wasn't too sappy in the least, it was amazing~!
lemon-lime-whispers chapter 4 . 2/6/2010
Loved it! Well written and very entertaining!
lemon-lime-whispers chapter 1 . 2/6/2010
This is great! Your writing style is flawless and really resembles Raymond Chandler's writing.
Heather Logan chapter 4 . 12/31/2009
This is brilliant! I don't have a huge sample size for noir detective stories, but from what I've seen, you nailed it. I found myself hearing the narration in that "40's accent," and could totally visualize the pebbled glass door panel with the detective's name on the outside, shot in black-and-white of course. With a fedora. The deadpan wit in the narration was spot-on too.

I cracked up at the thought of Hiko as a martial-arts trainer for the Canadian army. Strangely appropriate, somehow-he would have to be anything but ordinary!

One thing I really liked about this (as usual, for your stories) was the intense visual sense. I could really see the fronts of the houses, and the interiors, and the swinging porch light bulb with the little bits of filament sliding around in the bottom. And I've been to Little Tokyo! (Though only in the modern era, of course.) There's a great hardware store there that my father-in-law loves to go to for the fancy cooking knives. We picked up a sharpening stone there once. They also sell tabi-toed work-boots and all manner of things too big or too pointy to take home on a plane.

You asked about the epilogue: definitely sweet, though a bit of a break from the noir theme. I thought the noir detective never quite gets the girl, no?

Somehow the "old LA" angle reminded me of a very good book by Barbara Hambly (luridly) titled "Bride of the Rat God," set in 1930s LA and involving an actress and a cursed necklace.
raine chapter 4 . 10/22/2009
beautiful story!..brief and concise but very meaty...i love it!
Fezzy chapter 4 . 10/9/2009
Wow, this was really good. I thought the setting was great and the characters fit in well, and combined with a not so predictable plot, I enjoyed this very much. I admit I had my doubts about placing the characters in the 40's US, but it worked out far better than I could ever have hoped for. You made it believable, so kudos on that.

And I liked the epilogue, mainly because I too can't resist a happy ending... It was good that you added it.

Anyways, a job well done and now I'm eager to read your other works!
lawless chapter 4 . 10/7/2009
You really have a knack for description. I don't usually gravitate towards lengthy, descriptive narratives. I skip through those parts mostly, especially when it comes to fanfiction. But you wrote a good story here and I wanted to make the effort of going through the whole thing, even the parts I don't usually read. And you know something? I don't regret it. Your imagery is so good that I have no trouble picturing out the things and places in the story.

Now for the bad, I think the plot unfolded on a convenient note. While there's nothing fundamentally wrong with convenient, it just doesn't belong in noir detective stories like this. At least, I don't think it does. Especially since from the very beginning, your story struck me as authentic. You had the description down, the setting, even the fashion, and the building up was skillfully done (there were all sorts of hints, the plot could have taken any direction) so that when things finally unfolded as they did I was expecting something more. Instead, you stripped the whole thing down with low-key action and convenient plot devices. It didn't help that your villain is weak. Otherwise, the face-off between him and Sano would have made a more riveting climax. Not once did I even feel that the characters were in any sort of danger, even when they were shooting each other off. I think that part of the reason is the "voice" you are using. Sano's voice, the world-weary, seen-everything voice, is kind of hard to inject with emotion but I think that with some practice, you can do it.

You really are a very good writer. While I was reading your story, I could not help but feel that you are on your way to writing originals and getting them published. I have also read some of your earlier stories and I notice the huge improvement. Good work. And sorry for such a long and tedious review. I'm making up for the third chapter, which I missed reviewing. :)
Nekotsuki chapter 4 . 9/6/2009
Sweet. :) Am wondering about the acne-faced kid who took off, though; it looked almost as if you he had another part to play, but I guess not. And I like how some things never change with Yahiko and Kaoru, hee.

All in all, I like how you've written this; you've kept the noir feel consistent throughout and it works really well for Sano and Megumi. Well done. :D
Nekotsuki chapter 3 . 9/6/2009
Aha, the classic double-cross from the foxy lady!

Poor Kenshin. But I do like how he was nice enough to follow Sano's lead on what to do with Megumi. :D
Nekotsuki chapter 2 . 9/6/2009
Finally have a chance to catch up! I love the atmosphere you've got with this story. :D The Sam-Spade-Sano voice is still there and so much fun!

...*hurries on to chapter 3*
LadyRhiyana chapter 4 . 9/5/2009
I really enjoyed this noir setting. In your first chapter, your description of Megumi was so vivid I could see her, in all her 40s femme fatale glory and red lipstick. Loved the way you included glimpses of Sano's and Ken's past (as always, I wanted more!) and the aftereffects of the war.

Thank you for sharing!
hitokiri angel chapter 4 . 9/5/2009
aww! So sad this is the end! But I did like it tho, and the epi was good too, love the romance between sano adn meg. But please can't u make a sequel? *watery eyes* pretty please! Thank you! XD

P.S: Sorry for the late review! I couldn't use my laptop for awhile! TT
lunascorpio chapter 4 . 9/1/2009
A great way to finish a great story. I love happy endings, too.

I'm already looking forward to reading more of your stories.