Reviews for Foundations
sup3rl0z3r chapter 33 . 6/4
Sooo. I started playing ff9 again (thanks to rhe rerelease on steam) and when I got to garan roo part I had to go and reread brick by brick (which obviously lead me here) and I realised... I never actually reviewed this last chapter. After rereading both brick by brick and this fic in their entirety... I am so glad that I was a part of this Fandom as you were writing them and I got to see you develop into such an amazing writer over those years. I still can't believe that ff9 is as old as it is and still holds such a part in my life. It is there for me when I am happy, sad, angry... however I feel. Like you said in your author's note on this last chapter "garnet has become a good friend" I feel the same... about all of the characters... and I am so happy to know there are others out there who feel the same. These 2 fan fictions, in my opinion, are such a wonderful companion to my favorite game. FF9 will always be dear to me. It walked me through such an awkward and shitty time in my life... and this fanfiction is its companion to me. I have accepted things you have written and decided them to be cannon in my own personal ff9 world. I just wanted to extend some love your way and let you know that I think you are wonderful and your writing has brought a lot of joy to me over the past... how ever many years. I have never met you, will probably never meet you, and we have never been so much as much "Internet friends"... but I want you to know that I am so greatfull for you and your writing... and I hope that you let us know if (when!) You have anything published, I will be a fan of you forever. 3 3

Take care, and know I am wishing you well from afar!
~Sup3rl0z3r (made this name in middle school and it is so odd to type it now, lol... )
freyja0taku chapter 12 . 1/26
I always thought that Mene is kind.. Is he not? He even tried to carry Zidane so he could go home from the Chocobo paradise.. But it's still a great story.. (It's just my opinion3
freyja0taku chapter 11 . 1/25
Ouch for chap6 I can't believe Zidane accidentally hurt her.. Yay for the necklace (chap7) .. I thought chap8 is a fluffy chapter? But it's still great.. Hahahahh the start of chap9 is funny.. Poor Blank xD .. In Finding the middle ground, you accidentally wrote it as Chapter Eleven which should be chap10.. But it doesn't matter, I just want to point it out.. (if someone still haven't) .. The implied Freya and Fratley is great btw.. hahah :3
freyja0taku chapter 6 . 1/24
I feel sorry for Dagger in the Prologue but Choco is amazing :3 .. Yay for implied Ruby and Blank (chap1) .. I'm glad that you mentioned Vivi.. I cried at that (In chapter 2).. Ugh. I hate politics .. Hmm Blank and Dagger's friendship is good in this fic but I really can't see that happening (just my opinion) .. But thanks to Blank's suggestion, Dagger and Zidane had finally xD (in chap4).. Hahah.. Chap5 is full of funny scenes except for the last part.. Hope you don't mind thos kind of review.. :3 (if you even see this) xD
freyja0taku chapter 6 . 1/24
Bereft of Wifi chapter 1 . 2/28/2015
Is there anywhere I could download this fic so i can read it offline? I really enjoy your work, but i often find myself denied an internet connection, and so unable to read it. I sometimes just have read something uplifting, and your stories fit the bill perfectly.
Ashley chapter 33 . 1/2/2015
I love this story from beginning to end. I'm so glad you finished it! I've been following it for years as you've been writing it. I really admire what you've done to continue the story. I loved how "in character" everyone was. I could see every moment in my mind vividly. FFIX will always be one of my favorite games, and I think you will always be one of my favorite authors! You really are an amazing storyteller, with impeccable grammar (that's pretty hard to come by on this site. lol). I'm so looking forward to continuing to read your work! Brilliant job!
Angelalex242 chapter 33 . 7/12/2014
...huh. So the heir will be the reincarnation of Kuja in a Terran Body...and then HIS son will be the reincarnation of Zidane in a Terran body, and they'll essentially be father and son, alternating, forever.
ShinOokami chapter 33 . 7/11/2014
Well then finally time to get writing another looooooong review(at least i'll try)...

(PS: i really hope you actually do read through all these ramblings of mine...)

first of all id like to mention that with brick by brick and foundation you have written about the same amount of words as book 1,2 and half of book 3 of "harry potter" or about the same as book 2 of "Malazan Book of the Fallen" (which i strongly recommend,) that means about 900 pages of standard book.

and the above means that a career as an author is within reach, especially if you equip the "Protect Ring" and "Thief Hat" and learn long reach ;)
So i am looking forward to seeing some of your original works

But on to the main topic, that being the chapter, and ill start from the bottom i think, the loose end is fantastic (sadly you have domed yourself to writing a oneshot or something, to round up the new member of the tribal family. (don't worry I am sure its gonna be great, and i look forward to reading that too.)
though I wonder when and how did thy fix the sword of Alexandrian castle? cus' from my recollection thy said they can't, and it sounds like it is whole in that third to last sentence of yours...

\/ iMPORTANT \/
Carrying on to a different bombshell, I can recommend you improve your writing "point of view" a bit, as throughout many and close to all your fanfics (that I have read, and that is starting to add up) you have that annoying tendency of changing viewpoint between the characters so that the one who is talking is always in focus, and this makes for a lot of paragraph's and for a bit more serious writing that is not necessarily a good thing, (ofc. when it is dialogue it is more than fine.)
The part under section V. is fantastically written but there you might have chosen to only use an "Indented paragraph" to signify its only a tiny time-skip, or that it is a slightly more marked end, than what a period can manage.
Right now that's all I can find in your way of writing that needs a bit of improvement before you release an actual physical original-story book.

Anyway's back to the main topic, the letter from Beatrix and the details therein are, well simply superb (your letter form is also fantastic, it is one of those few gems I find around and that I am willing to use as references, I am almost lost for words on this.) especially the small detail about Steiner and it being inconsequential, I laughed at that.

Next I think, is Mik and her technology and calculating way of being (and how you manage to portray her flustered but hiding it behind a scientific matter of fact sort of fa├žade.) it is so fantastic and I truly want to see more of her in any future oneshots (or that Kind of character in one of your future original stories)
and blank being blank there is not mush to say about him, but you portray him wonderfully :)

Last is the name "Orunitia Tribal Alexandros", man how I love that name (even if it is only a combination of there last-names) so when you see this name pop up in schools around the world... well you know where it comes from

and this is it for this time I guess... sad that, though i must say kinda-sorta wanted to see a gaian terran hybrid from garnet and Zidan but I guess there is no chance of that (but maybe with their son?)

well until next time.

Sincerely Shin Ookami
A Seeker of Knowlage
Katsumara chapter 33 . 7/3/2014
Well this was amazing. Touching. My eyes may be a little itchy.

To think.. all this time brings us to this. If you'd told me at the start of the story that it'd all wind up like this, I would have been like "Psh. You're kidding!" though now that I see it unfold.. it seems only fitting.

I can't believe you started this in 2009, and here we are in 2014 with it completing. Goodness, what a fantastic ride you took us on, CC. I honestly wish I were better with words, but I'm trying my best to form complete sentences here due to how sad I am to see it end, even if it honestly had to, yanno?

Either way, I know you said you were probably going to stop writing outside of the potential drabble here and there. I do hope we see one, but rest. Please. You definitely deserve it. :D

Thank you for everything, CC. (Also sorry I always call you CC, but I'm not sure what else! I mean Crimson works too or something, but..CC's shorter! :P)

Take care and be well!
Katsumara chapter 32 . 7/3/2014
So awesome. Loved this chapter. Toljda I'd work on catching up and granted it's super late.. but catch up I shall!
Caitlyn-4479 chapter 33 . 6/29/2014
Wowza, I definitely didn't expect this to be finished so soon! I guess once you jumped back on the wagon it was time to finally put this story to rest. I'm super stoked I get to read two chapters in one day!

That little nod to Vivi about Zidane taking his own advice was just so precious. Even though we're so far away from the original storyline now, you haven't forgotten those little moments that made the game's story truly special.

The way you've designed this whole section of story about Zidane's heritage is very unique, and is such a refreshing way of looking at it. Of course everyone wants to imagine a happy ending, but you've taken it multiple steps further and captured the beauty and fantastical ideas from the world of Final Fantasy IX and brought them to life, and that's why this story works so well.

The fact Zidane can't reproduce even struck me hard. But the way you've ended it is just beautiful - what a wonderful way to make an ode to Kuja, and to construct a story around Terrain technology and science has left me awe struck. You have crafted a story that is at the very heart of what Final Fantasy IX represented, and you should be so proud of your work.

The dialogue also serves a glorious charm that is a hallmark of your writing, and how well you capture the characters. Little Orun is going to be the master of swearing after Zidane and Blank's influence, hehe. I am definitely going to miss the way you write Zidane and Garnet, as well as Tantalus (Blank especially) and the rest of the cast (and especially Beatrix, Steiner and Freya, may I add. Ah gad, you write everyone perfectly!).

That ending was just perfect; I can picture the image of their little family perfectly in my head and it's such a lovely way to leave things off. Although, does this mean there'll never be a little Gabriella? I think it's kind of nice to offset those ideas to separate stories though. One thing I always thinks works well in writing is when that perfect ending happens very differently to what you expected - just like in real life. Orun was definitely unexpected, especially in light of Kuja's soul, but it was just the perfect way to end this story and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I know I say this every time, but I need to now more than ever - I feel truly grateful to you for posting your work with us for so many years. I've literally grown up reading your stories. Before I even joined fanfiction when I was 14, you were one of my first favourite authors and still are to this day. When I was in my final year of high school, preparing for my english exam with my teacher urging me to follow the most difficult route, the creative writing route, I would always turn to your writing for inspiration and comfort. There's just something so warm and deliciously addicting about your writing, and I find something new to marvel at every time I reread Brick by Brick or Foundations or one of your delightfully rambunctious oneshots. I feel so, so lucky that I found you and that I've been able to follow you for all these years, and your writing is an eternal source of strength and inspiration to me. You have no idea how many lives you've touched with your writing, and that is the power of good storytelling. You are a magnificent writer.

I can't imagine how satisfying and yet bittersweet finishing this must have felt. I hope you feel a great sense of achievement and pride upon finishing this. I'm so glad we could all finish this story together and your final sentiments are just beautiful. I really don't think there are any words I can say that truly capture how grateful I am for your writing - heck, I'm even getting a little choked up writing this! Thank you for sharing this journey with us. I hope we'll still see you around in a few dabbles and oneshots, but until then, I can't wait to hear more news about your original works and wish you the best of luck in your writing endeavours. We'll all be cheering you on from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe. Foundations, Brick by Brick, and your renditions of our favourite monkey butt Zidane and beautiful Queen Garnet will always, always be close to my heart, and I'm so sad to say goodbye. Thank you so very much.
Rai chapter 1 . 6/29/2014
Thank you for creating this story! And an even bigger thanks for finishing it! Five years was definitely worth the wait, and I look forward to your one-shot stories. You are an amazing author.
Cadistra chapter 33 . 6/28/2014
What a wonderful ending to a wonderful story!
You're little glimpses into this games' universe have made my second playthrough of the game that much more enjoyable. Thank you so much for sharing this with the world. :')
Myshu chapter 33 . 6/28/2014
Gratz on completion! I know how much of a milestone that must be for you. You managed to craft an ending that fits the world of FFIX best. It keeps in check with the spirit and lore of the game while trying something a lil' crazy, like all the best fics do. I don't feel like it's too open-ended or anything. If there's such a thing as a perfect stopping point for a story like this, you nailed it. Orun's just an awesome name, anyhow, and there's no better way to depict such mixed feelings about Kuja (it's only lucky for him that Zidane and Dagger are such magnanimous characters.)

Somebody once said of one of my stories that it was "built like a shark"-that evolution made it right the first draft and it never needed to change. But this is something better-it's like a diamond, shining clear and beautiful in this fandom. It started beautiful, it finished beautiful, and it never took a scratch.

Whatever you're moving on to do, best of luck! You're an amazing artist and storyteller, and anybody'd be crazy to pass up what you do next.