Reviews for Patchwork
erica.phoenix16 chapter 1 . 12/21/2014
Oooh! This looks good. :)
Melchy chapter 5 . 11/18/2014
Poor Sam. I'm deathly allergic to aspirin myself. Scary.

I was lost at the begiinning of the chapter until I read further and figured out that the Doctor had actually gone to the other time and Al had followed him. Otherwise, I enjoyed this chapter very much.
Melchy chapter 4 . 11/17/2014
I'm very much enjoying this story so far. I haven't seen any QL's in ages so anything you do in that regard I don't know the difference! I think you've captured Sam, Al and the Doctor very well. Can't wait to finish it.
jesphoenix05 chapter 8 . 1/10/2014
Poor Sam...What a headache the good doctor must've caused him? lol You were spot on with all the main characters although I honestly don't recall Gooshie or Tina or Donna. Tina was very annoying btw not sure if that's how she was in the series or if they ever show her in the series...hmm I'll have to watch it again, it's been so long! Felt like you got a little too carried away with the tech and there wasn't a whole lot of action sometimes. It felt like things were dragged out a little too much by it. I'm curious...how come the doctor didn't just put the TARDIS right in the same floor as the project was? The Doctor has often done this, I mean he stuck the TARDIS right into the oval office! It could've saved you a lot of build up with his arrival and departure at project base and saved you time convince some of the characters of who or what the Doctor is. But despite all that I really enjoyed this. I thought that Sam was spot on and the Doctor was well The Doctor! lol
Thanks for writing it! I enjoyed it!
jesphoenix05 chapter 3 . 6/1/2013
Ok my three year old's energy calls and I must leave this wonderful tale for now. I love the way you wrote the doctor. I could almost see him flitting about talking at 100 miles an hour! And the looks on Sam and Al's face...I can picture them clearly! Priceless! I will continue soon!
superlc529 chapter 7 . 8/8/2012
This was absolutely beyond brilliant. I literally have no words to describe how amazing this story is. It's very rare to find wonderful crossovers with Quantum Leap. I love Doctor Who and Quantum Leap. In fact, they're my 2 most favorite time travel shows ever. And the way you combined them? Absolute perfection. I don't know about the other readers, but I think that you had Donna, Tina, Gooshie, and even Ziggy in-character. Of course you had Al and Sam in-character too. There's no question about that.

Just imagining David Tennant with Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell gave me goosebumps. :D Good goosebumps. I could hear everybody's voices in my head perfectly and I could see everyone in my mind's eye. It felt like it could be a DW special or even a QL special. I love this story to pieces. And I love how you didn't make it an automatic fix-it of Ten being able to fix the retrieval system. It stands to reason that the Doctor would want Sam out there helping. After all, he can't be everywhere at once.

This story was just absolute perfection and I can NOT wait to read the sequel. As soon as I get the chance, I'm most definitely gonna read it! Excellent work! Really, there aren't enough words to describe the amazingness of this crossover. The best compliment I can give it is, in my mind, this crossover is equated with "The Man With No Name" - a Firefly/Doctor Who crossover. And believe you me, that's saying something... Keep up the amazing work in any of your future works. :D
James Birdsong chapter 8 . 7/14/2011
Quite awesome. Quite perfect
Vorel laraek chapter 7 . 12/26/2010
This is an excellent story - I know absolutely nothing about Quantum Leap, and so can't complain about any OOCness, but the Doctor is right on track, and you've given sufficient explanation to avoid total discombobulation. :)

Keep writing - you're good at it!
Jonn Wolfe chapter 8 . 10/31/2010
Terribly sorry. I forgot to comment on this story, as I was determined to get to the next one in the series. I tend to read with a bit of an obsessive streak when the writing is rather good. And, you're style is one I can learn from. I love it. The introspectives you use are something I need to do more of, and I pointedly cringed at myself when I realized I hadn't been doing that. More sorry me. Still though, you have a particular knack at drawing me in, and I like that. So, thank you for a wonderful read. )
Amazing Bluie chapter 7 . 10/12/2010
Great story! I loved it! It was a fantastic crossover between Doctor Who and Quantum Leap!

There were a few times someone was out of character for them, but it was hard to notice as their reactions were quite believable aside from that. Part of the trouble is that the Quantum Leap characters that aren't Sam or Al had so little screen time that it's difficult to really know for sure what they'd do in a situation. So, basically, great job considering what you had to work with. ;-)

I did feel the story could use something a bit more, but I can't quite place my finger on what. It did work well for a Quantum Leap episode, though.

Other than that, I just have one complaint. Focussed? It's spelled focused. I may not have even cared if you hadn't used it every other paragraph. ;-)

Anyways, great story! I'll have to finish reading the sequel sometime and tell you what I think!
Amazing Bluie chapter 2 . 10/10/2010
"Unless you care to wait six—" here he smacked it and it let out a squawk "—teen days."

Ha! That is SO Al! :-)
Elvaro chapter 6 . 9/13/2010
I feel like with each chapter, my reviews keep getting longer and longer! Oh well, you getter a better idea of what at least one of your readers think of what you're writing... (For the record, I might not be the best indicator of the typical, casual reader... I read anything and everything. Including, and of my own free will, Beowulf at age 14 and the Lord of the Rings trilogy at 12.)

But I digress, on with the review: so we return to Sam, now mostly recovered from his injuries and in the TARDIS's infirmary. It's always fun to speculate on what the Doctor has tucked away in the TARDIS and what all the rooms look like. I'm not sure if the infirmary has ever been seen onscreen, but I imagine that if it was you're describing it from the classic series. Which would explain the Doctor's remarks about not redoing it when he changed the desktop theme.

I love hearing the Doctor compare himself to Sam. I like the idea that whatever keeps Sam leaping is also keeping the Doctor travelling.

I'm not going to comment on the Doctor talking about the Time War too much. Mainly because the dialogue there manages to make me feel unbelievably sad for the Doctor, but I think that was the mood you were aiming for.

The discussion on "brushes with history" which is, if you're familiar with either the wikipedia article on Quantum Leap or the DVD releases of the series and I would assume you are, what they've chosen to call anytime Sam bumps into famous people or events (Michael Jackson, Watergate, Buddy Holly,Northeast Blackout of 1965,Dr. Heimlich, Stephen King, Donald Trump, and Elvis to name a few)is extremely good, especially Sam's shock over the Doctor mentioning Queen Elizabeth I.

The discription of the spryigalimeter (I'm curious if you had a meaning in mind for that word?) and how it works is really good, I enjoyed reading it.

I also think that when Sam finally saw the outside of the TARDIS he would really want to try to figure out how in the world it could be "bigger on the inside". Of course, by this point I would be tried of trying to figure out impossible things, so I don't blame Sam for surpressing his curiousity just once.

I enjoyed the words of wisdom that the Time Lord gave Sam too. Of course, any other action on the Doctor's part would probably contradict Quantum Leap canon. Well, more than a fanfiction that pays this much attention to canon should, since simply writing a fanfiction to begin with generally contradicts canon, or at least stretches it a bit.
Elvaro chapter 5 . 9/13/2010
Aw, so you begin by borrowing from Mirror Image, the part where Al is in the Imaging Chamber searching all of Sam's birthday, or at least that's how I would imagine the scence as being like.

I don't remember Starbright, Starlight quite so much as I would like, but from what I do recall you did a great job with recaping the last few moments from it and then extroplating where the characters would go from there, especially if the Doctor were to intervene to check in on something.

I don't remember Janis Jolin being on the list that Sam gave to Tim, but as I said, I don't remember that particular episode as well as I should (I'll have to go watch it after I'm done with my homework).

I enjoyed the Doctor's masked speech about Quantum Leap. I don't think that the Doctor would be able to stop himself from thinking, no matter how ill-advised time travel is for a non-Time Lord, that Sam and his project is "brillant". After all, he said much the same of the explorers that came to a planet orbiting a black hole.

I see, that even if you didn't think you'd be doing a sequel, that you already beginning to get set up for Splintering with Al reminising about all the incidents in which Sam left behind traces of his project.

Probably one of my favorite lines in this chapter would probably be: "'Do you doubt my credentials?' Smith demanded. Al knew that tone. Smith was a force to be reckoned with." I think that that's the most accurate description of the Doctor that QL has come up with, as of yet.

Then of course we come to the Doctor and the Aniplaxians. I like how you characterize Sam here: that he has no idea what the Doctor is talking about, but knows that the Doctor needs his support anyway. Hearing Sam's thoughts on the Anipalaxians accusations are exactly what I would expect from him. I think that sometimes he sees the world even more clearly than the Doctor does. (Maybe not so far as the intricacies of time-travel, but at least as far as what is right and what is wrong.)

"As Sam looked at him, at the control in his face, he wondered why he had not guessed more quickly that the Doctor was an alien; perhaps it was because he wanted so much to know that he was not alone in leaping and that there were others who had perfected similar projects since it meant that his, too, would eventually be perfected. At any rate, the Doctor certainly did not seem human now. He was as otherworldly as the two Anipalaxians." I know that's a rather large quote, but I think it sums up a lot of what you've set up in the previous chapters and is an absolutley perfect descriptions of the Tenth Doctor during a tense stand-off.

Sam taking the bullet for the Doctor, so to speak, is both to be expected and also a bit ironic, as generally it's the Doctor that's trying to take all sorts of "bullets" for his companions or the human race or some combination of the two.

I can't say how much I like the last line in this chapter. I agree with you, that Al would be a little more distrusting of the Doctor (seeing how he's both an alien and a bit of an enigima for the people at PQL) than Sam would be, and leaving Sam in the Doctor's care would be very difficult.
Elvaro chapter 4 . 9/12/2010
Again, a lot in this chapter. I loved the part where the Doctor reads Sam's mind. I also liked when Sam questioned the Doctor on how many aliens he's met and the Doctor tries to hint that to him, when he deals with and travels with humans he's travelling with aliens. And Sam doesn't even realize this.

The technobable in this chapter is superb, much better than anything I could come up with. (Actually anytime you use technobable it is really, extremely good. If you don't write a science fiction novel of your own someday, I'll be very surprised.)

I find it funny that Sam is still clinging to the idea that the Doctor is a leaper, from a QL-like project based in Great Britain in Sam's future. The Doctor has said quite a bit that should have clued him into the fact that 1) the Doctor is not a leaper and 2) the Doctor is an alien.

I enjoyed your reference to the Doctor Who Movie, since a similar regeneration happened in it as the one that might happen should Sam fail at his mission.
Elvaro chapter 3 . 9/12/2010
To begin with, I enjoyed looking at the Doctor's monologues through the eyes of Sam, who usually looks like he's talking to himself. Of course, we know that the Doctor just likes to explain things, usually to his companions.

And then, the Doctor catches Sam talking to Al. This is an ingenius idea and funny. Then the Doctor goes off talking and judging Sam's reactions just like he would when he thinks someone might be an alien or have been somehow involved in an alien plot.

Then of course, after the Doctor has talked about essentially nothing and a great deal of things he shows a graph that records Sam leaping in and all of Al's appearances. Which Sam doesn't recognize for what it is. I found it somewhat ironic that Sam didn't recognize that, since he did recognize something similar in A Potrait for Trojian.

Then the Doctor leaps to the wrong conclusion too, he thinks Sam is an alien, although he corrects his assessment almost immediately.

The following conversation I'm not going to go into detail about, because there are a lot of things that appear there. I like it, even though I have to constantly stop and say, okay which one of them is talking and what do they mean when they say... Mostly it's just a matter of figuring out which sort of time-travel is being discussed and how the Doctor is explaining time-travel of Sam's sort.