Reviews for Geek Girl
Marzipan chapter 1 . 5/2/2013
Oh god, you just made my life! This do beautiful and impeccably written. I'm jealous.
MajoringinFandoms chapter 1 . 8/2/2010
That was really awesome. Have you written any other fanfics? Because all fanfics were as good as this one, I'd never stop reading. This was so bitter-sweet, I loved it...
Mallie chapter 1 . 1/30/2010
Wow.

I am in awe. You took a peripheral character who doesn't even have any lines in the film, and made her come alive.

I'd enjoy seeing a film about *this* character.
Master of the Boot chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
It's about time that I got into your work. It's been once said that my writing is dense, but I'm afraid that I'm light and very fluffy compared to what you're packing here. The content of the story hits home with me like a ten guage shotgun blast.

I have to admitt that I sort of sympathize with the Nerds. I almost was one, except that I had a jock's body and an ego the size of Russia. By the time I reached high school, I was the most arrogant kid in the class. That really makes it easy for me to sympathize for characters like this nameless girl that's always thirsty.

Thirst is an excellent theme here. It goes beyond the need for h2O. It's a spiritual thirst that never ends and seems to grow ironically in time with the rain. something as small as the event at the water fountain had huge signifigance.

From when she remembers being a kid, I can sympathize the most. The vast majority of the bullying that i experienced was in my childhood. I remeber how important something like a piece of artwork can be to a child. i even fondly remember a few projects of my own. Thankfully, nobody threw my work into the rain.

I felt like crying when she said that that stupid dental mould was her claim to fame. That's it? She's injuring herself so badly by having such small dreams. I cry for her, I really do. I cry for the meek, because they shall inherit nothing.

I've never watched this movie. I just saw a trailer for it; normally, movies like that make me sick. But maybe one day I'll try it out.

Either way, the movie can't be as good as this story. You rock on, you eighties loving girl.

Ta

Master of the Boot
thesavorofpan chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
Wow thats pretty good. I envy you.
d for delete me chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
Wow. That was incredibly well written. And I liked how it wasn't just about her, you did mention Sam and Jake a little. It was brilliant.
jAwbr3aker chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
that was a pretty good read, i enjoyed it a lot i have always bn interested in joan cusack's character in this movie. awesome, great job
Lion in the Land chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
Congratulations on your fanfiction debut! You do John Hughes a great honor with this lovely story, FaMo.

Who doesn't remember the girl in the headgear at the drinking fountain? But who really knows anything about her - no one...until now. You gave this girl an identity that matches so perfectly with the little bit parts we saw of her in the movie. This IS her!

In the whole first part you expertly weave in her delightfully pathetic existence - not only the alienating headgear, but the dental mold being her claim to fame (that still cracks me up), the awkward growth spurt, the hideous sweater from her Grandma that she actually wore to the school dance! When she laments that she won't evaporate like the water, it makes me truly feel for this girl.

Her ruminations on Sam were eye opening. The whole movie is about poor Sam and her 'troubles' but from Geek Girl's perspective, Sam is living the life of a princess. I guess it just goes to show that in high school, EVERYONE thinks their own life sucks. But I wonder if Sam ever once looked at our beloved Geek and thought, 'Wow, that girl has it so much tougher than me.' Probably not.

Your writing is so intricate and fun to read, and your subtle sarcasm is brilliant.

"I’m sure he was awed by my eloquence, but the unwavering optimism in his eyes, that sparkle in his braces, was enough to scorch any hopes I had that maybe tonight he’d look in the general vicinity of some other girl…someone friendlier…more intelligent…more enigmatic in her quiet, less attractive, and somewhat physically handicapped way."

In one sentence you pack so much in that is funny, insightful and heartbreaking.

You make the other character vivid as well. Such as your paragraph about Marie. Yep, got a pretty good read on her. Hopefully Geeky will, too, before there's too much more meatloaf making, if ya know what I'm saying. And you did a fabulous job with Ted! With his "pigeon strut" and his dialogue - it was so him.

"I mean, you know, she’s just…adolescence is a confusing time for young women, you’re first starting to notice boys and become aware of your bodies, and so she just…All right, okay, stop looking at me like that. How’d you know? Did she tell you?"

(wait a minute - was that actually from the movie?)

And who can get enough of the 80s? Pas moi. Cory Hart! The Smiths! Just seeing their name in print gets me excited. And what would the 80s be without beer bongs? Not nearly as fun, I'll tell you that! I just LOVE that scene. It was so great to have the cute jock be nice to her and have everyone supporting her valiant effort.

But the best, the most lovely part of this story was the thread of her thirst and her quest to quench it. Starting at the water fountain and ending with her opening her mouth to drink the rain was poetry, my dear. Perfecto.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!

-LiLa