Reviews for One For Sorrow
M. S. Arora chapter 19 . 5/28/2010
‘With a last lingering look at the precious golden gift, he pushed the dirt back over it and patted the spot. "There. I hope you like it as much now as you did once before," he murmured.’ – Oh that is heartbreaking, yet so beautiful! Actually, all of Julian’s dialogues in this epilogue are beautiful. They express the great intimacy between the two lovers that remains even when they are worlds apart.

‘The raindrop fell unseen to the ground - a last, forgotten tear.’ – The final sentence was particularly well written, albeit depressing. I think I need some chocolate now. :(

This has been an excellent journey, Damsel. Your writing has always been a pleasure to read, and you haven’t let me down anywhere along the way! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story, m’dear.

M
M. S. Arora chapter 18 . 5/28/2010
I’m trying, Damsel, I’m trying to feel sorry for him; but it’s not working. Cutler’s changed beyond belief. His dismissive and imperative gestures towards Marianne makes it so difficult to believe that this is the same boy who once was bullied and victimised.

Henry Beckett deserved to die, and by Julian’s hand too. I know vengeance isn’t the only way out, but this was extreme, really. After all that Helen had been through, I suppose the old git deserved it.

I knew something like this would finally occur and break whatever relationship remained between Cutler and Marianne, but I have to say, when I read that part of the chapter, it almost came as a ‘surprise’. I don’t really know how to express this correctly. I knew it was coming, but yet I was a little ‘surprised’ (as Cutler would’ve been) at Marianne’s final words and actions. Just to clarify: it’s a good thing. :)

Overall, a well written chapter. Bah, I can’t believe there’s only the epilogue left! I just want to keep reading!

MsAurora
M. S. Arora chapter 17 . 5/28/2010
Okay, I’ll admit it: I read this last night, but I was too out of it to type a coherent review. But you know what? I was thinking about this chapter even when I woke up this morning, and I’m glad I didn’t review it yesterday in my half-dead state because it would be rather unfair to leave a less than satisfactory review for such an excellent chapter, don’t you think? :) I’m sorry I haven’t been able to read this in a while, Damsel, but now that exams are over, you’ll hear from me more often.

Your writing just keeps getting better and better! Mercer and Cutler were both completely in character, and Marianne’s reactions were just as I’d imagined them. I don’t pity Cutler at all at the moment even if he’s at the verge of losing both parents and Marianne.

"I require nothing more than your unswerving loyalty," he replied at length, in a voice as smooth as silk. "Nothing less." – Hats off to the choice of words, here. This is the Cutler Beckett as we know him! You’ve taken us through his transformation ever so well in this story.

Onwards!

MsAurora
Blue-Starlight92 chapter 19 . 5/24/2010
It was a good story! A rather depressing story, but a very good one.
Nytd chapter 19 . 4/18/2010
The epilogue is such an effective way to wrap up details and give us a little sense of closure, although we know what lies ahead of Beckett and Mercer for their careers now.

Julian saying goodbye to Helen was very touching. I think it very fitting that he does so and then slips away into the shadows.

'Mercer inclined his head. "The East India Trading Company sent a message asking you to meet their man in Europe as soon as possible."'

A little thrill goes through the reader at the significance of that simple statement!

And the final tear of the angel might shed for so many different reasons, but it is a lovely if not sad ending to the tale!

What great fun this has been to see the evolution you have wrought for the characters we know, as well as the life you have breathed into very vivid original characters. You certainly have written a very compelling story, and must now take up another project so that we get to have more of your writing!

Nicely done!

Cheers!
Nytd chapter 18 . 4/18/2010
Thank goodness for the sensibility of the two sisters in this chapter. As much as part of me wanted to see Julian have his revenge on Beckett, another part really didn't want to see him pull the trigger.

'"You're many things, Julian Lewis," Bessie countered, her voice dropping in a last murmured defiance, "but you are not a murderer."'

True, very true.

'Then the window shutter creaked and slammed closed with a sudden snap. There was one final flash of a torn and dirty, but still brightly coloured jacket, before it disappeared into the pre-dawn darkness.'

This last line of that scene is lovely. How many times had that brightly coloured jacket slipped in and out of that bedroom in the past? It gives us the feeling that although Julian Lewis is scarred, that we may still have hope for a future for him.

'"You let him escape?" Cutler demanded, the question a chill sliver of sound.

"Julian Lewis evaded my capture," Mercer replied through gritted teeth. "I apologise." The words were thrown down at Cutler's feet; Mercer refused to look at him.

"Your apology is neither relevant or useful." Cutler waved a hand in dismissal. "Keep looking."'

I can hear Tom Hollander saying this with ice-cold words! :D

When Marianne finally chooses to leave and go home, it feels as though some of the last shreds of what is human are being torn away from Cutler. He won't acknowledge that she means something to him, and instead locks the hurt away.

And Henry Beckett deserved to die alone for what he did! What a miserable, pitiful (but effectively written!) end to the tyrant!
Nytd chapter 17 . 4/18/2010
'"Taking recent events into consideration, I have assumed temporary control of the household. I will be managing the Beckett business."

Cutler smiled briefly and very slowly Marianne raised her head.

She swallowed, staring at Cutler in exhausted disbelief. "Your father is not even dead," she whispered, "and your mother is not even buried." Her voice broke and her deep blue eyes looked at Cutler as if seeing at him for the very first time.'

And this is the first time we really see the Cutler Beckett we know is emerging to be even more ruthless than his dying father. I don't blame Marianne for being shocked.

I want to feel sorry for him when he pleads for her not to leave, but you do such a great job of making this a grasping, selfish act of his that I can't!

The scene between Cutler and Mercer is such an effective turning of the tables too. I was looking forward from the beginning of the story when Mercer has the upper hand to seeing how you reversed their roles, and here you do it quite convincingly.

'"I require nothing more than your unswerving loyalty," he replied at length, in a voice as smooth as silk. "Nothing less."'

This sounds so like Cutler Beckett!

Even with the sense of tragedy that follows the other characters as the chapter goes on, these two scenes dominate because of the sense of forboding and momentum that they establish!
BritNB chapter 19 . 4/12/2010
That sucks for Cutler! He just lost both of his parents. Hopefully Marianne and him will stay together. They make a very cute couple! I loved your story! It was really good. Sad that it has ended, but the ending was really sweet. Amazing Work.
missoswiin chapter 19 . 4/12/2010
"The raindrop fell unseen to the ground - a last, forgotten tear." that's such a brilliant ending! I love it! Beautiful but quite depressing. :(

That evil, evil Henry Beckett has finally gone (it was really good, but why did you have to kill everyone! Couldn't you have left Helen at least?) Joking of course. It's brilliant. Cutler's changed so much through your story - and you can knida tell why he's such a messed up fellow in the film.

"There is nothing here worth remembering," Cutler replied coldly. he's so heartless! I feel so sorry for Marianne as well.

Your ending was amazing. It's just sad that it's over though!

:D
sweetmissbean chapter 19 . 4/12/2010
You've out done yourself, Damsel!

Chap. 17.

- Cutler's voice was nothing more than a whisper. "Because I have to." -

After such trama and tribulation, Cutler suddenly grows up. Reading his change after all these chapters makes it hard for me to remember the young boy I met in the beginning. The boy I liked.

-"I've come to set you free," he told him, his tone offhand.

Mercer's reply was almost immediate. "What do you want in return?"-

In this moment, the conditions of Culter's and Mercer's relationship has been finalized.

-"You put a price on life?" Mercer retorted.

"I put a price on everything," Cutler replied without a pause.-

This exchange reminded me of DMC when the adult Culter says to Elizabeth "...currency is the currency of the Realm." LoyaltyMoney. Period.

Chap. 18

I was not surprised to find this chapter opening with Julian poised to take revenge on Beckett. Then, as you so skillfully set me up to do, I was surprised and yet even worse left somewhat disapointed with Julian for running away, *again*, after pulling the trigger. (Note: this is a good disapointment on your end.) I have not sorted out in my mind if he meant to miss consciously. Was he scared or just a bad shot? I haven't decided yet. My opinion of Julian has always been a bit wavering. He loves Helen, yes. There is no doubt there. But the man's follow through, for lack of a better word, sucks. I want to hug him for loving Helen and then slap him for always ducking out when things get rough. I know he is a good man,as Bessie says, "You're many things, Julian Lewis, but you are not a murderer," but I'd wish he'd grow a set, find some courage and stop being such a wienie.

-"If you turn away from her influence, all you have left is your father," Bessie reminded him.-

Bessie continuously has been a voice of reason and wisdom in your story and she couldn't have hit the nail more square on the head then she did with this sentence. For me, Bessie is the hero in this chapter for helping Marianne go home by explaining her situation to Culter in a way he could grasp...someday.

I have been wondering exactly what was going to happen to Marianne as soon as she starting showing hesitation around Cutler. My first assumption was that she would stay with Culter and he would (un)knowingly smother her like his father did to his mother. She is afraid of what Cutler has became and recognizes his father's overpowering influence that now dominates Cutler's actions. Marianne knows she needs to get away even if her heart aches for Cutler.

The Henry Beckett you created was a wonderfully created evil bastard. The way you write his death is quite poetic. After a life of living with his heart closed, he dies alone. A little part of me almost feels bad for him. (that is a really BIG almost)

Epilogue.

I'm so sad this is the end!

-"Don't forget me," he whispered. "I know I will never forget you."-

*sniff, lip quiver*

If your story was a movie, this would be the part where I'd yell at the screen, "Why couldn't they have just escaped and lived happily ever after?"

-"There is nothing here worth remembering," Cutler replied coldly... He reached down and scooped up the papers from the floor. "Take these and have them burnt."

The papers rustling in his hold, Mercer bowed and turned to leave the room. It wasn't until he reached the door that he glanced down at the little pile and winced at what he found on the top: Helen Beckett, regarding him with her tired, accusing, green eyes.-

Culter didn't listen to Bessies's warning. He is erasing his mother's memory. All that is left is his father's influence and he is now the wicked tyrant we know from the trilogy.

This is a wonderful story. My reviews have not done it justice.

Take a bow, Damsel, you deserve it!
GalnKay chapter 19 . 4/10/2010
Loved the story :) Brought tears to my eyes :( Thanks for writing the story! Good luck, God Bless! Cant wait to see more from you soon!

To be a Sparrow ye gotta fly,

Gal
hp-not harry potter chapter 19 . 4/10/2010
Brilliant! the conclusion... sigh... this story was worth every last word... Genius... the characters... the plot... and the building of a villain... no one had ever written a more genius Becket story... no one in the future could ever do it... I don't think they'll even try after this masterpiece.

seriously you should go to Disney studios and ask them to allow you to publish it. It will be a bestseller.

Only bad thing about this chapter (probably the only bad thing I've said about your story so far) is that I'll no longer have something to wait for every month or so... sigh... this has taught me so much about writing.

Thank you Damsel, for so much!

hp
missoswiin chapter 17 . 3/31/2010
Oh my gosh, there's only one more chapter left! :'(

Poor Marianne. I think she's starting to realize what kind of person Cutler is. "Your father is not even dead," she whispered, "and your mother is not even buried."

Aw, your writing's so descriptive and sad! Update soon! :D
cutleriscute chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Oh my gosh

{heart- kathumpakathumpakathumpa}

That was...

AWESOME!
cutleriscute chapter 7 . 3/30/2010
WOW! This just left me all scared! 1i love the way you made Mr. Beckett be totally oblivious to the fact that his wife had flown the ccop, so Helen could, mess around!