Reviews for The end of all video game consoles
Luigi2324293 chapter 1 . 1/12/2013
Umm...What?
Darth Litarius chapter 1 . 4/26/2011
Buy I hate motion control. What about me?
Darth Litarius chapter 1 . 4/26/2011
Buy I hate motion control. What about me?
StephenP18 chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
Thank you so much for all the reviews!
Insert name here chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
Why does one company have to "win the war" anyhow? I like Mario and Zelda games, but I also like Sonic and Final Fantasy games. (Though I think the quality of the Sonic games is tanking, and the quality of everything past Final Fantasy IX is going down, but hey, there's always a chance for a comeback...) And what do you mean, it's for kids? Not to mention, you completely left out the Pokemon franchise. I know plenty of adult Pokemon fans, and that's definitely for kids. Who's to say it can't be the same for Mario? And there's really no need to put one company out of business so the other can prosper, you know...
Twilight Remains chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
Idiot. How can nintendo lose? I mean at least 24- 26% of the world are kids. They should think about us.
Darkest'Wonder chapter 1 . 11/17/2009
hey this is cool i hv never thought about it tht way! :)
Chidoriss chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
Ya know i have thought about this too. But what i disagree with here, is that the graphics are EXTREMELY realistic. Yes, they are realistic, but, while graphics do have an impact on the game, it does not matter if the graphics are as realistic as they can get, if the game play, sound, and controls are crap! Besides, if cartoony graphics are different from PS3 and XBox360, that makes Nintendo UNIQUE! Also, kids want to play games too, so they resort to Nintendo for games, but those kids will grow up and play whatever Sony and Microsoft has made, but those kids, now adults, will have kids who want to play, going to Nintendo, grow up, and go to Sony/Microsoft. As you can see, it's an endless cycle, so consoles can't die. And even if they did, PC might win, and then people would get Emulators and ROMS of the old games, like they do now!

Point is, consoles may NEVER die, or they might die, oh, TOMORROW! But people will get ROMS of games, keeping Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony alive in the hearts of kids and adults worldwide!
Cranky Kong chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
cough*Fourth Wall*cough
Walkazo chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
This is certainly a thought-provoking read! You had many good points, but I agree with many of the previous reviewers' remarks as well - particularly Cascore and his movie analogies, and SuperLardBucket's emphasis on plot.

Motion Control is a gimmick - it may have given the Wii an edge, and it may be great for games like Wii Sports and Wii Play, but it's not the be-all and end-all of video games. The other consoles may be copying the motion control formula, but in the end, I'm sure classic controllers will win out.

Similarly, graphics may be important, but realism isn't some sort of Holy Grail. Nintendo's competitors may hold the lead in that race, but the Wii's not too shabby (for example, the starscapes of "Super Mario Galaxy" looked like they had been taken straight out of a modern sci-fi epic). Things like "The Legend of Zelda" and "Metroid" would benefit from cutting-edge graphics (of course, the trailer for "The Other M" is nothing to throw sticks at, and the only reason "Twilight Princess" didn't step up its game was because it was originally meant for the GameCube), but overall, the cartoonish looks fits the Wii's library.

That being said, Nintendo could try being less squeamish when it comes to more mature games, but there's no denying that it caters to the kids and casual gamers VERY well. Brain Age has hooked countless numbers of non-gamers, and things like Wii Fit and Cooking Mama also help to expand its audience. While some may take a pass on the Wii because it's too childish, more people are put off by the fact that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are so heavily dominated by First Person Shooters. There's also the fact that adult gamers have to choose between the Xbox and PlayStation, whereas Nintendo pretty much has the kids all to itself. If they just add a few more third party M-rated titles to the Wii, it'll be more universal (and it's not like it'll scare off the children - it won't make the G-rated games any less wholesome, and like the younger users of Sony and Microsoft, just because the older games are offered doesn't mean they have to get 'em). On a side-note, I, for one, would love to see the tamest of FPSs, "Yoshi's Safari", come out on the Virtual Console.

Some darker, more realistic tones might even be welcome in Nintendo's home-grown games - it may not have Goombas exploding into piles of bloody guts when stomped on, but "Super Paper Mario"'s plot was pretty grim by "Mario" standards, and taking a look around the ffnet archives, the fans loved it. But Nintendo's doing pretty good with it's rose-coloured glasses approach anyway: the anatomy of "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story" may make scientists weep, but the plot and dialogue will make them cheer right back up again; players of "Super Mario Galaxy" may go on to fail astronomy, but they won't care, because what the game lacks in realism, it more than makes up for in entertainment value. As long as Nintendo can keep coming out with intriguing RPGs, addictive sidescrollers, challenging action games, and enjoyable spin-offs for the casual gamers, people will keep coming back for more.

But in the end, consoles will never die. The console "race" is nothing more than sales figures, and there will never be a "winner" as long as games, both old and new, keep moving on and off the shelves. Even if the Wii is surpassed by its rivals, it's not like Nintendo will go bankrupt and disappear from the face of gaming - it'll just try harder to catch up. Perhaps the graphics will plateau, and perhaps gimmicks (and memory space) will be the only things the corporations will be able to hawk, but then the real denominator will become apparent - the games themselves. Nintendo will always have an audience, regardless of whether they're playing along with Mario using controllers, motion controls, 3D helmets or virtual reality.

Luigi has nothing to worry about, really.
KoopaPrincessTooLazyToLogin chapter 1 . 8/28/2009
True,true,true...

Although, Mario&Luigi:Bowser's Inside Story (DS) seems like it has a lot to look for: a real story, as Cascore said.

:P

But yeah, I want Sims 3 on PS2, but will it happen? Uh...no.
SuperLardBucket chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
I do see where you're going with this, but here's where I disagree. The thought of realistic graphics causing the end of the console doesn't work, because people don't play video games just because they look good. We play them for the fun experience. Even if Nintendo retains the cartoonish look, it can still be just fine if it continues to produce entertaining games.

I can't tell you how many times I've played a game with the most amazing graphics ever, but it still sucked because it had terrible gameplay and a lousy story, whereas I play cartoonish Nintendo games, and absolutely love them.

The fact is Mario, Link, and other Nintendo Icons will always have a place in the heart of gamers, provided that Mario does not go the way of bitter rival Sonic the Hedgehog and begin to produce crap game after crap game... Which he probably will, because Nintendo seems Hell-bent on not producing any more Mario games where Mario isn't playing damn sports, racing in stupid go-kart races, or saving the princess in the same old, tried and tested formula. That's what will cause the death of Mario, if anything.

Seriously, he has so much potential for plenty of mind-blowing stories. Why do you think Paper Mario (Second and Third, anyway), and Mario and Luigi were such great games? Because they had actually original stories. (I mean, at least it wasn't Bowser who kidnapped Peach the second time around, am I right?)
Child at Heart Forever chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
If things keep going like this, eventually we'll be able to be in the game!

And I don't know if Nintendo will ever fall...maybe one day way in the future all the companies (or whatever they're called) will come together and create the best game ever.

Who knows?
whispering angel 25 chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
I've never thought of it like that. Who knows how long it'll be before Nintendo falls. The graphics have been improving for over 20 years now, but how much longer will that stand?

Despite the fact that I'm not that big of a fan of breaking the fourth wall, this will probably get everyone thinking about future video game consoles. This was a good idea.
Beaky-Yokes chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
this was awesome!, update soon!