Reviews for The end of all video game consoles
Cascore chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
Thinking about video games the same way I think about movies (considering they're both forms of media), I don't agree that the video game industry will soon die out. Just think about it; relatively speaking, video games are still young. Music and literature have been around for centuries, and movies have been around for 114 years now, whereas video games just have a couple decades under their belts. How do you think everything else managed to last for so long? Part of it has to do with originality, and part has to do with gimmicks.

What you focus on here is the gimmick side of the argument. Realistic vs. cartoony graphics, motion sensing controls, etc., they're all just gimmicks. When you look at the history of movies, you see that they started out as black and white with no sound, then, eventually, audio was added, which could be considered a gimmick, though it's becomes much more vital this day in age. After audio came along, the pictures went from black and white to Technicolor, obviously a gimmick used to make movies more visually appealing. Over time, the picture quality itself got better and better with each generation of camera that came out, and now the big thing is 3D.

What I'm getting at is the sheer aesthetics of the movie industry. Just because we can now view a movie and have objects "pop out" at us doesn't mean that movies have become so immersive that there's no possible way they can be improved or continued. Some of the best movies ever created were in black and white and came out decades ago. Basically, just because things are getting more audience-involved with movies, that doesn't mean that the stories are more appealing and that there are no longer any ideas left for a plotline.

The same thing applies for video games, only it covers a bit of a wider spectrum. For video games, story is still a big part of the experience, as well as accessible gameplay, user interface, and difficulty curve. As long as a video game is fun to play and immersive, and isn't bogged down by a clunky menu system and stuff like that, it's a good video game. Things like graphics and motion sensing are merely gimmicks that push some people to buy some games and not others.

And let's face it, "adult" games aren't always better than "kiddie" games. Who's to say that an M rated game is automatically better than a game like Kingdom Hearts, just because it's rated M? It doesn't matter if a game is adult or kid oriented, if it's fun and accessible, a wide range of people are going to like it.

As far as the future goes, I'm actually kinda hoping for virtual reality. That would be the ultimate gimmicky pleasure don't you think? But, even if this generation of consoles is the very last, who are we to complain or worry? It's up to the publishers and the developers to make truly great games that we enjoy, and not depend on a console's reputation or successor to determine what's going to happen in the future. If the Wii, PS3, and Xbox360 are the final entries in the console series, so be it. That saves more money we spend on consoles for us, and, eventually, developers will be able to master the intricacies of the separate systems right?

Basically, as long as the actual games that are coming out continue to be fun and immersive, it doesn't matter if a new console is ever created. This form of media will continue to persist as long as we consumers support it and the developers continue to work on it.
the new wouldn't u like 2 no chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
i won't log in and bother you with my opinions,if you want 'em,pm ,i will say your opinions are whack-o, all game franchises but one failed.i assure you mario will be that one.
17 | « Prev Page 1 2