Reviews for Desperate Measures
Ginnylove9990 chapter 1 . 10/22/2011
Thank you for a great story. Please keep up the great work.
zekeschance chapter 1 . 9/7/2011
Loved this. Just loved it! Thanks!
Crimson Ivy chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
I can’t help it, I have a soft spot for hurt!Sam and angry!Dean. But only if everything ends well ;) The stories after John’s death are especially attractive because it was probably the first time in the Winchester history, when Dean was unable to show interest in Sam’s problems. And I have read an interview with Mr. Kripke (I don’t remember where...). He said he regretted he hadn’t concentrated more on Sam’s feelings after dad’s death. So now I enjoy this kind of stories even more than before! :)

Vary nice story, thank you!
staceycj chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
I seem to like your hurt Sam stories. Very very nice!
amyblair chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
Well, I don't know what the Summer of Sam Love was, but this was lovely.

The bit where Sam was in the bathroom stall losing it was awesome and gutwrenching. Really liked it.

Bobby was great in this. I really liked how Bobby stops Sam, checking to see how he is and he responds with, "Since Dad's death, he just doesn't stop, you know..." Really? That says so much about Dean in those few months.

I like that they had to find the Hogg Family Farm. Ha! That's great!

And Mr. Piggy - double HA!

I do think that Dean would react to Sam vomiting so suddenly with an "Ew." I read so many people who go with an 'I'm here... go ahead and puke' approach, but I think his first reaction would be "Ew."

Loved the end. Terrific story.
Scullspeare chapter 1 . 8/30/2009
I LOVED your lead: “It isn’t so much the words; it’s the way Dean says them that always cuts Sammy to the core.” So true. In many ways, Sam is still the little brother seeking Dean’s approval. Whether Dean says something lovingly, angrily or in jest, it hits Sam all the harder simply because it comes from Dean.

This is a great description of Season 2 Dean: “His older brother’s pursuit to eliminate evil is wearing down them both, but Dean’s too hard headed to see it, too bogged down in his own grief to even care.” And what a contrast to the broken, post-Hell Dean of Season 4.

This packed an emotional punch for me: “I miss Jess, I miss Dad, but most of all, I miss my brother.” Grieving his dad and Jess is completely understandable, but missing someone who’s right beside you 24/7 is heartbreaking. This is a perfect preface to Sam’s outburst in First Blood (his ‘I wish you’d drop the show and just be my brother again. Just…just cause’ speech. (One of my favourites.)

And “He can’t get to Sammy’s gun without leaving Sammy, and that’s not happening.” – love that: even when Dean’s ticked with Sam, his protective streak is right there when needed.

Nice little moment between the brothers at the end, when they talk about losing their dad. I would have loved to have seen that on screen.

You captured the essence of what we love about the Winchesters – that no matter how much they butt heads, they’re strongest together. Here’s to that theme playing out in Season 5.

Thanks for the brotherly yumminess.
vonnie836 chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
This was such an awesome and wonderful fiction. You did so great with building up Sam's depression and exhaustion and Dean's despair over his dad and annoyance with his brother. How Bobby tried to interfere but was reluctant to do so. And the ghost, Mr. Piggy/Hogg, he was really mean, no doubt about it. I do love how Dean came to his senses as soon as Sammy got hurt. Bobby deciding he had to intervene and in the process giving John Winchester a little redemption, by Bobby thinking how difficult it had be to make the right decision as a father. Great job with the hurt and limpness and the brotherly moments in the end. Hugs, Vonnie
Madebyme chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
I think it's very easy to forget that Sam lost his father too. The focus was on Dean trying to deal with his loss plus keeping John's final words a secret and it's understandable that he struggled to see what was going on with Sam. But I liked how hard the grief hit Sam here and how it reminded him of losing Jess.

Fics around this time line are some of favs, with both boys struggling so much to work through their grief, their relationship so strained and distanced. Lovely fic and I very much enjoyed the read. Take care, Abbi
TraSan chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
I love stories set around ELAC. You captured the strained relationship here so well. Keeping THAT secret from Sam took a lot out of Dean and he wasn't as able to see what his bro was going through.

This was a great one, Denise!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
Both Winchester's needed a big hug here. Dean so desperately torn up by their father's death that he behaved towards Sam in a way he usually never would, and Sam desperately needing his big brother back, feeling he'd lost him as well as Jess and their dad. Great that Bobby did some swift talking to Dean and that finally the elder Winchester got his act back in gear and became a big brother again to Sam. And being that big brother was something Dean really needed too, as when he wasn't he was more lost than ever.
myownmind chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
Thank you very much for this wonderful story! I love the interaction between the brothers, you do it so well. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Susanne
Ghost4 chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
"It isn't so much the words; it's the way Dean says them that always cuts Sammy to the core."

This? is awesome. I wish I had written this. It say so much about where the boys' come form in so few words. and to start off like that? I know it's going to be a rough ride.

"Every time he shuts his eyes, he remembers his dead girlfriend, his father. It's more than his mind can seem to handle. Why, Sam? The memories are just so clear that it's like everything happened yesterday."

Oh yeah, Sam was falling in little chips and pieces even then. And every time he started to heal... something else would happen and he'd be worse than before. All right under Deans nose. Breaks my heart.

Okay, so awesome fic.

Shuting up now.

Ghost
Harrigan chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
I wondered where I could find your fic, where I could leave a review! Glad to find it here! (And if you need any help with LJ, I'd be glad to offer. There are some cheat sheet posts at the summer_sam_love LJ community that might help, too.)

Anyway, I wanted to welcome your story to the collection! Sam was grief-stricken, too, after losing his dad. Not just Dean. Especially since the very last thing Sam said to John was practically to pick a fight and tell him to go to hell. He had to be feeling really badly after that, and it's great to have fanfic as an option to explore things that the aired episodes just left to our imagination!

I'm glad you picked this!
Lilithakaducky chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
That was a great story.

I do fear that we're heading in this direction in season five. Apparently Dean holds lots of anger towards Sam. I just hope that the resolution of it will be something satisfying like in your ficc and not all the blame gets pushed into Sam''s corner, some of it, sure, that's justefied, but not all.
rozzy07 chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
/Squidges you up into a big fat hug of joy at receiving such a wonderful gift/ Seriously girl you met all my expectations and beyond, limpfying-the-Pretty and amping up the angst with a welcome return of big-brother-Dean to nigh perfection here. The heartbreak of Sam as he left Ellen's with Dean's accusatory voice ringing in his ears made my chin wibble. After that you only kept on adding to my sense of despair for Sam as he spiralled downwards to leave him dangerously vulnerable - that his blinkered brother failed to see too caught up in his own deepening depression since their dad's death and the burden he left to weigh heavy on his shoulders. You explored both boy's mindset here, making you realise just how much a victim they each are to the game being played out. But thankfully a true constant of support is now with them here in the shape of Bobby (I just love your gnarly, tearleaking, bighearted Bobby) because believe me those boys need someone like him in their lives to pick up the pieces for them when they can't.

So my friend you left me tearful and yet so very happy as you gave me back my boys, together despite all the pain they have/are enduring. You gave back a sense of hope that no matter what they face, as long as they do it together, they can survive and stay brothers united. Thank you for giving me back a wonderful remninder of why I love this show. Rozzy