Reviews for The Journey is the Destination
smashman42 chapter 34 . 7/27
I accidentally forgot to review this story then read another similar 'Ranma tries living as a girl for a while' story (specifically, 'Clothes Make The...'), and got all muddled up on what plot points were in which one. So after re-reading here I am finally writing something.

Firstly, I liked that Ranma involved Akane in his, or in the end her, plan straight up. Being post-Jusendo, you can make Ranma and Akane grow up a little if it suits the story without it being too much of a stretch. Getting Kasumi on side is a no brainer, but I really liked how you used Nodoka to help with it too. The beauty of this series for fanfiction is how some of these characters can be moulded however you want because Takahashi never really nailed them down and let almost all of them behave however they needed to for the plot at the time without giving them too much development. On the flipside that is also one of the biggest criticisms of the series itself, but I digress...

Ranma pulling in Yuka and Sayuri so as to not overly strain their relationships with Akane really showed some maturity. Pre-Jusendo Ranma wouldn't have even thought about that. Akane taking their act so seriously to have put Sayuri up against the wall like that was pretty intense. She's prone to violence against Ranma or Happosai sure, but not ever non-combatants like that. Just as Ranma bringing the girls in showed how much he was willing to risk to make Akane happy, Akane showed she was willing to risk losing her friends for the sake of the plan. Such a small scene but I found it powerful.

I'm not sure if it was because of how much faster I get through things when reading them a second time, but on this reading both Ukyo becoming Ranma's sister and the final battle with Cologne felt really, really fast. Rushed would be the wrong word, but I think both situations could have been drawn out longer for a bit more angst. Ukyo might have seen the writing on the wall for a while, but still it seems such a big decision to make in so little time. The battle with Cologne was really just Ranma stalling for time for the others to capture and lock Shampoo and Mousse, so I'm not fussed on missing an epic battle there. The whole point was one wasn't needed because Ranma was working with a team and working smarter, not harder, like the pre-Jusendo Ranma would have.

The changes to Nabiki from the start of the story to where she was pulled into the plan was interesting to me. So many people give her the 'providing for the family' role but you made her much more selfish, which I think is more accurate to the manga. The way you had Nabiki at first trying to figure them out to make money of Ranma, then Kasumi and Nodoka nailing and breaking her, then finally getting on board with the plan once she realised Ranma's true motivation worked for me. Taking her from Ice Queen bitch to ally in a more believable way. In story Ranma was surprised by Nabiki changing like a light switch being flicked once she realised Ranma loved her sister, but really there was a hell of a lot of ground work before that point or it wouldn't have happened like that.

One thing that notable that was missing was a P-chan reveal. It is clear in the epilogue that Akane knows, but prior to that it never actually got dealt with and the lost boy just got, well, lost. Fitting this potential plot point in with Akane almost certainly reacting badly when Ranma was already under so much strain might well have been a straw breaking the camel's back situation, so in the end skipping it was fine. It just seems to be something that everyone addresses, usually towards the end as one last hurdle for Ranma and Akane to get over before they get their happy ending. So in a way not seeing it was kind of refreshing.

All in all, I really did like this story. It was a bit lighter as far as drama goes compared to some post-manga stories, but it worked for me.
RPhysics chapter 5 . 4/19
Reading this again brings up a plot hole. Even if ranma pretends to never have been cursed, there is still the fact that Genma, Shampoo, and Mousse are. Given that Genma is Ranma's father, and Shampoo a friend, it is rather difficult to ignore Jusenkyo's existance.
xThomas2 chapter 1 . 1/12
Wow, that IS the most screwy plan ever. Let's go!
Final-Fan chapter 5 . 10/26/2014
Oops! Their act slipped a little. Akane said "you know she doesn't like that", referring to Shampoo glomping Ranma. But then Ranma acted like the idea of Shampoo pushing a relationship on Ranma was a foreign concept. There may be explanations consistent with both of those data points, but I doubt there are any consistent with the story RA are trying to weave.
Final-Fan chapter 4 . 10/26/2014
I am unhappy with this chapter. It sounds to me like Akane was unhappy that the act required her to lay down the law to Sayuri. I think it should have been that Akane was unhappy that the act revealed that Sayuri still thinks of the one she loves as a freak, even though the Jusenkyo curse is old news.

Maybe I misinterpreted your intent.

P.S. The idea that people "won't question it" if Kasumi and Nodoka don't is pretty silly.
Final-Fan chapter 1 . 10/26/2014
Interesting premise. One thing that I wonder about is that Genma would normally react to something like this more physically, e.g. eat Ranma's food, throw him into the pond, just hit him instead of merely thinking about it. It's very true that Ranma often escalates situations, but quite a few times the situations will be perfectly willing to escalate regardless of his input: turning the other cheek isn't going to be a foolproof solution in Nerima. I'll be disappointed if it is in this story. Time to find out!
Guest chapter 34 . 3/31/2014
In chapter 2: You should have had Shampoo witness Ranma's impersonation of her after they gave each other (more or less) the Kiss of Marriage

In chapter 10: When Akane tells Ranma not to look down she should have also said that to try and remember that it's just a shirt

In chapter 11: Ranma should have accused Ukyo of being a bully because even though she was trained as a martial artist she hates fighting
Chaosqueen chapter 10 . 3/31/2014
Both Kasumi and Nabiki noticed the change in the demeanor of the middle Tendo sister

Shouldn't the second person who noticed be Nodoka, Akane or Ranma ?
Guest chapter 5 . 3/30/2014
It's Zaijian not Dzaijyan
90's kid chapter 34 . 3/30/2014
Ok, one question is not answered... how the heck did they make the first baby? I thought Akane had no Spring of Drowned Man curse to brag about, since the water was temporary. Or perhaps she used the instant Nainichuan packets to impregnate Ranma?

But all in all, this was an awesome fic
Omnitroid1 chapter 3 . 3/10/2014
Tried very hard not to smile at any of this. Needless to say, i failed legendarily on many levels. Good work! I like it! A little spelling problems, but i get it.
Y2Ranma chapter 34 . 1/30/2014
This needs a sequel maybe something like "Arriving at the Destination" set sometime after this fic maybe at a reunion

What happened to Genma?
What happed to Ryoga?
What happened to Kodachi?
Did Shampoo marry Mousse or (someone else like) Herb?
Guest chapter 14 . 1/30/2014
Still a good story but chatters seem shorter now
Chaosqueen chapter 5 . 1/30/2014
When Shampoo meets up with Ranma & Akane on their way to Nodoka's instead Ranma saying she's Shampoo's friend it should have Shield sister &/or if she Accidently used the Shampoo 411 on herself
gort420 chapter 34 . 8/3/2013
great story loved it loved the ending hope to see more from you.