Reviews for Ender's Game: An Essay
ArkanianHyde chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
has potential. you could elaborate more. analyse, but make it more narrative. though i suppose that could result in a rewrite of the book... still. elaboration will make a difference.
Tom Phan chapter 1 . 11/7/2011
Well, for a short essay i'm no that impressed. Not trying to be negative, but you could almost have done this is in a paragraph and just cite the pages at the end. Next time you do an essay for a class with such a limited topic, try and find the loop hole. A lot of teachers (not all though) enjoy it when students try to one up the requirements. Figuring the topic was that of learning a lesson (course i don't know what it actually is) maybe go back and try to find times where Ender specifically chose the pacifistic option and analyze that rather than just trying to answer the question.

Also, avoid repetition in sentences. It shouldn't, but it looks childish. You have a lot of sentences starting 'he', personally I try and limit myself when i catch my self doing that. Say one sentence starting with 'he' for every two paragraphs.

just suggestions, though i would be interested in knowing what the actual question was. and yes i know this isn't grammatical, but i''m not trying for that so *eh*
LifeOfMusic chapter 1 . 11/7/2009
So, I think that Ender's Game is one of my all time favorite books. I've read it twice and want to read it more, and have read the "parallel", Ender's Shadow. My favorite quote in Ender's Game is : "Ender isn't a killer. He just wins - thoroughly". It makes me laugh, and I'm glad it's used here.

I would recommend reading the rest of the series, if you haven't already. They're pretty great.
ohgodwhydidimakethis chapter 1 . 9/20/2009
Wow, you had to do a response to literature essay for Ender's Game? I hate that kind of essay when I do it with short stories. I feel your pain, man.
The Disreputable Writer chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
I think you've got the general idea, but the essay is very repetitive and is missing some of the finer points of Ender's character.

What you've said boils down to this: Peter is violent, and Ender is guilty about being violent because he doesn't want to be like his brother. But that's a bit of an oversimplification. If Ender had wanted to be non-violent, he could have stopped fighting. He could have let Bonzo beat the crap out of him in the shower and be done with it. But he knew that he had a right to defend himself, and he did so without remorse. The remorse came later, when he realized that he had gone too far.

That trait, of using violence in self-defense but lacking control, was distinctly Ender's. Peter was cruelly, self-servingly violent, but he was always very controlled. He wouldn't have killed Bonzo if he hadn't meant to.

One more thing: Ender certainly would have been devastated to know that Stilson had died, but he never found that out. So it's incorrect to say that Ender felt guilty about killing Stilson. Actually, if I remember correctly he felt pretty well justified in the beatdown he gave him.
Maskless Masquerade chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
I think you missed the point a bit. Ender was wary of the violence because Peter abused him, not because he had anything against it using it in self defense. He was worried about the line in between self defense and enjoying the pain he caused others. That was the difference between him and Peter. Peter liked winning and he would use any weapon in his arsenal if he thought it would help him reach his goal. Ender understood that in order to make the bullys (Stilson and Bonezo) stop he had to beat them once and for all but he didn't take pleasure in it