Reviews for Postbellum
Indigo chapter 2 . 10/2/2013
I adore this story! Hope it will get continued someday, but what there is is still fantastic, thank you.
creepingshadow chapter 2 . 11/10/2010
very good story! i like how you describe the interactions of fire nation court polotics compared to the rest of the world's. ca't wait for more!
Selden chapter 1 . 8/30/2010
This is fantastic - probably the most enjoyable post-war-politicking fic I've come across. I particularly like the details of Zuko's coronation: I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it's canon the Fire Lords started out as leaders of the Fire Sages or something similar, so it makes a lot of sense that the position comes with all sorts of quasi-religious trappings. And a degree of ancestor worship seems to fit Fire Nation culture as well. Some of the political details seem a bit off to me - would the court really empty out, or would some people decide to chance it on the hope of getting in on the ground floor with the new regime? On the other hand, I really like the idea of a balkanised Earth Kingdom.

There are a couple of places where I'd say you tell the reader a bit too much, especially in the first chapter - I think we can take it as read, for instance, that Zuko is full of 'tightly-leashed emotions' if we're also being told that he's speaking 'patiently' to hostile Fire Sages, or that the royal hairpiece is 'unbelievably heavy on its own.' And there are a few awkward phrases - 'his socially-awkward mind'; 'the implied lack of an insulted ego'. I guess it boils down to you having a good enough grasp on the characters that pointers of this kind seem unnecessary, especially given that Zuko is such an interior character - when he's not venting all over the place, that is - that it seems odd to have his feelings laid out in this much detail.

But this is great - the only other (exceedingly random) thing I'd pick out is the vetiver-scented incense at the coronation ceremonies - it's such a *green* scent!
Lalaith Yamainu chapter 2 . 4/19/2010
I would love, love, love to see this continued!
Rayneken chapter 2 . 4/15/2010
Well, this is just excellent.

I adored your characterization of Toph- you have her spot on, and Zuko is, wonderfully, himself. (Mai kind of scared me, but Mai usually scares me anyway.) Your writing is beautiful, your vocabularly deightfully broad, and overall I just loved it so much!

Rayne
Ladyofthebookworms chapter 2 . 1/29/2010
I don't know why, but after the war type stories with all the political stuff going on are my absolute FAVORITE.

Plus Toph/Zuko snark. Lovin' it.
Tristripe chapter 2 . 9/4/2009
omg...i love toph's voice. im not a big fan of female characters...they usually fall into cliche's too easily...but the creation of Toph (who was supposed to be a huge GUY)...i fell in love with her character the moment she appeared, AND YOU did her great justice.

Mai also was another female character I liked, and she got great development in season three (especially her confrontation with Azula). But we have to wonder, she sacrificed a lot for Zuko...how DOES she feel about the dismantling of the fire nation colonies...she rebelled out of love for zuko, not over believing what he was doing was RIGHT. Can't wait to see more development there.

I am so intrigued by the politics going on...and the rising to the climax, which im sure ozai will have a bit of a hand in (he's not going to sit docilely in his cell). There is a lot of hate going both ways between all the nations of the avatar world, and you are one brave woman to write about the attempts to keep the REAL war from exploding.

Tri
Tristripe chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
Hmm...I don't know HOW this fic flew under my radar. im giddy with happiness that one of my favorite fanfic writers is writing a multi-chapter fic for avatar. I loved how you picked on the almost genocide that was planned out by the firelord. When i saw the cartoon when the bloodbending was introduced and we got a glimpse of what happened to all the waterbenders...my mind screamed GENOCIDE. Wish the word was spoken, but alas, cartoons are cartoons.

I particularly liked the way you bring light that sometimes old thinking cannot be taken away, like Zuko reminding himself of Omashu's real name...and that his immediate thought right after seeing the original map of the Earth Kingdom. Lovely, perfect, dark, and real.

I'm off to the next chapter...

Tri
PastaSentient chapter 2 . 8/23/2009
Very interesting. I look forward to seeing Zuko's decisions as firelord; keep up the great work!
things24 chapter 2 . 8/21/2009
I like your style of writing. Please continue.
Omoni chapter 2 . 8/21/2009
I must say, this is a wonderful story. You've taken Avatar to a mature and fascinating level, much to this older fan's joy and delight. The continuation of the series and the reality that there is always an "aftermath" is a refreshing change. Your writing is detailed without being dull and lyrical without being cheesy. I look forward to reading more of this epic!
Lokicat2002 chapter 2 . 8/21/2009
I wasn't as clear as I had thought. I don't mean governing would be devoid of meetings, but the pace of life, in a world before telecommunications and modern air travel, is lived at a much slower pace. Lincoln would be busy and heavily burdened in the 1860s, but still not as tightly scheduled as Obama is today. And presidents are busier than monarchs since monarchs don't need to worry about elections. Its just an anachronism a lot of fics have so I thought I'd mention it.
Gamenoise chapter 2 . 8/21/2009
Absolutely a fantastic story, I cannot wait for the next update.
HeyItsMJ chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Intriguing and beautiful writing! The plot looks great. Can't wait for more!
Lokicat2002 chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
This looks like a promising start. I'll look forward to the next chapter.

Since this is a fic about Zuko's reign, one point in it's favor is that you haven't made one cliched mention of meetings and headaches. Lots of authors seem to imagine this subject matter looking like an episode of the West WIng. The pace of life in a pre-modern time period would be very slow compared to ours. Dangerous, but not hectic.

The pre-coronation rituals of fasting and trials sound good. Especially for the Fire Nation monarchy.

BTW, if the fire sages are being difficult, Zuko could always promote Shyu. They're pretty beholden to the Fire Lord since Sozin after all.