Reviews for A Hunter's Life
Martin III chapter 20 . 11/27/2011
I was really hoping for more to be done with Rika's less-than-dignified condition, and the cure came much too easily, but this is still a reasonably satisfying wrap-up. You portray the musk cats well, and Rune provides quietly amusing interplay. Chaz, as always, makes a great hapless hero.

Overall, this has been one of my less favorite missions in this collection, though still a good light read. I can certainly appreciate the concept of it.
Martin III chapter 19 . 11/19/2011
Looks like another great adventure! I have to say that I don't understand the ending of the first scene, and the opening in general seems fairly routine. But as usual, once you get to the premise of the tale, it's a doozy. Myau developing a technique to open bottles is at once ingeniously believable and utterly hilarious. I often ponder where you get your ideas from.

Rika's being afflicted with cat syndrome is a good little mystery for Chaz to face, and I anticipate this situation leading to some amusing mishaps, judging by your previous work. A little late in the day for me to read the final part now, but I have enjoyed some of the bits of humor along the way, such as your amusing description of Rika's conversations with Rune. As always, this fic is good fun stuff.
Skamikaze chapter 1 . 11/2/2011
Ahhhh, feeve is finally explained.

Although there wasn't much about the '...is asleep!' bit or whatever happened when you used it.

But it was cool.

I can't wait to see what your next chapters would be about.
Martin III chapter 17 . 7/8/2011
Another smashing finish. These two chapters delievered on just about every front that I had hoped for. The one significant exception is that there's somewhat less humor than the average chapter of this fic, but comedy wasn't the main thing I was looking for in this particular episode.

The Rogues using Zio's tower is a cool idea, and I like how you worked the Alys flashback in there. It adds a nice bit of character to Chaz.

Demi showing up due to the system malfunction was a nice turn to the plot. It probably would have been more interesting if Chaz, Rika, and Ryan's infiltration had proceeded without such unrelated interruptions, but I didn't feel too disappointed. The action scenes against the robots were extremely riveting.

My favorite humor bit was Rika's obssessive use of Deban. Her little exchange with Chaz at the end about visiting Demi is amusing as well. Great innocent humor.

Once again, a really enjoyable episode in the life of Chaz and Rika (and Ryan) as hunters, and a nice teaser for future episodes with the mystery of the system malfunction. As always, thanks for bringing us these.
Martin III chapter 15 . 7/1/2011
This is a strong start to what looks to be a particularly engaging episode of this fic. It's got mystery, quasi-political intrigue, espionage, a well-developed set of "opposite numbers" for our heroes, and a hint of emotional conflict to come. Even if I weren't following your Phantasy Star fics as a general rule, this would have me hooked.

The mid-mission opening to this story works well, and the Rogues make a suitably spectacular entrance. The confusion over the killing blow is a good point to get things moving.

One typo to report: "If he didn't move at the precisely correct time..."

Ryan's interaction with Azda is a nice bit of characterization for him, and while I'm not sure about mentioning electric guitar in even a humor PS4 fic, the idea of Zio Metal is quite amusing. I chuckled even harder at the line about the Guild wanting blood - priceless. Perhaps most important, though, you introduced the threat of moral conflict in their mission to spy on the Rogues without making it too obvious, e. having Ryan and Azda's little adventure escalate into male bonding.

I don't have time for it today, but I'm very looking forward to reading the rest of this. The new characters are already compelling enough to make me want to know whether or not they're up to anything, and how Chaz, Rika, and Ryan will deal with it.
Martin III chapter 13 . 5/31/2011
So... I read these chapters the day after publication and only now get around to reviewing. Sorry.

Another terrific wrap-up to a zany and fun adventure. Ryan having a key role in the resolution is to be expected, but the details and actual telling of it is amusing nonetheless.

A favorite part of mine is the multiple Rockies all being released from their tanks. The image you drew there, with all the dogs overstimulated at the sight of each other, is a sublimely farcical scene. Tinkerbell herself showing up is a great cliffhanger end for the chapter, too.

One notable error: "...he deserves no better than immortality!" Presumably you meant "less", not "better".

Great humor in chapter 13, as well. I loved the whole argument with Tinkerbell over alternatives to cloning Rocky, and the confusion over the Override button was worth a chuckle, too.

Really enjoyed this little adventure as a whole, and while I am surprised that Ryan is apparently joining the regular cast of this fic, the surprise is distinctly of the pleasant variety. I can easily imagine him adding to the partner dynamic of Chaz/Rika in interesting and/or humorous ways.
Skamikaze chapter 13 . 5/18/2011
Wow. The best story here I've seen, this is.

Did they rebuild Nalya? You could do something with the NES they have there.
Martin III chapter 11 . 4/11/2011
Very good continuation of this mission. Not as many laugh-out-loud moments as most installments of this series, and not much for me to comment on really, but a very enjoyable break from the real world as usual.

Very interesting to see a return of Tinkerbell's dog. I love bits on continuity within the saga like that. It makes a nice twist on the biomonster scenario, too, and I always enjoy seeing a bit more of Hahn. And as always, good satisfying humor throughout the story. The line "The other End of the World looked more impressive." is just classic.

Excellent work as usual, and I look forward to more.
MaxKnight1010101 chapter 11 . 4/3/2011
This is highly amusing. Even if it doesn't get updated very often, I'll watch for updates.
Martin III chapter 10 . 3/14/2011
Boy, I can't believe it took me this long to get to this chapter. Once again, you've hit us with a delightful mixture of humor and unpredictable plotline. The receptionist's transformation into the Guildmaster is a typically comical twist, in large part because of how succinctly yet compellingly the scene is visualized.

One little typo in there: "...without dying, have a constant influx of..."

The thought of poor young Chaz having to take on an apprentice is by itself humorous, and a very promising premise for a new adventure. Ryan's youthful optimism is well done, and Rika's reaction really brought a smile to my face. I love the line "We're like a family!" It's such a delightfully cute way of looking at the situation.

Anyway, I hope there's a follow-up on this latest venture of Chaz and Rika! Very nice work, as usual.
augmentedfourth chapter 10 . 1/16/2011
I don't know how I missed seeing this story before! It's much harder to write humor/comedy than drama, and you've succeeded admirably. Everything involving Rocky was hilarious, and I especially liked the bit with Rhys and the escapipe. I look forward to reading the next chapter!
ByeAccount chapter 3 . 12/28/2010
I'm not even halfway through the story and I had to review. I freaking LOVE it.

For one, it's SO nice to read an in-character Chaz. Second, I love the humor.

I definitely will be reading the rest and will review futher. So far, this is absolutely AWESOME.
Martin III chapter 9 . 10/17/2010
This is quite the superb finish to this fourth adventure. A bit crazy at the finale, but the plot is absolutely fascinating and some of the laughs are truly uproarious.

However, there are a lot of minor issues with the writing this time. The cursing is extremely foul for a K rating, and seems unnecessary, even downright misplaced. There are also negatives in two places where there definitely shouldn't be(I've marked 'em with asterisks): "not to know that another group of cats on a different planet *didn't exist*," and "Only a clone *wouldn't* get their age wrong!"" Finally, the word "would" is plainly missing here: "in a way that destroy his reputation with the Guild".

One of my favorite lines: "Why am I logically justifying a cat being a prison Warden?" It just comes as such a shock punchline after that perfectly reasonable summary of the evidence for the cat being the warden. The NeiFirst debate tops it, though. "Talk about taking metaphors too far!" did make me actually laugh out loud, as did the bit where Chaz slips into cat-speak. Chaz's suggestion about splitting the pay is great, too.

Like I said, the plot gets a bit crazy in the last moments, but I like the whole concept of the escapipe trick messing up the universe, and the solution of isolating Algol. Really fun blending of Phantasy Star 3 and Dark Savior elements.

Once again, fantastic job, and we're now four for four on top-notch PS4 Hunter adventures. This series certainly has the best plot, action, and humor of any of the fics in this section.
Martin III chapter 7 . 10/9/2010
Ooh yeah, this is a fun one. An evil cat is a delightfully surreal concept, and you play it very well. Chaz and Rika's infiltration of the prison has a great air of tension and excitement, and once again you've left us with a first-rate cliffhanger.

Only problem with this chap is this brushing over of important detail: "Chaz made a vague excuse to Rika..." Saying he made an excuse without telling us what it is doesn't cut it. Plus, it's a lost opportunity for good comedy.

Speaking of which, great touches of humor as always. I love Chaz's little analyses of the situations. "However, that would be what a sane Warden would do, who wasn't evil." Witty, with a nice dash of a cutesy one-dimensional world view.
DezoPenguin chapter 7 . 10/4/2010
Well, this one is definitely heading into new and uncharted territory. A Musk Cat for a warden (hence the cat flap...) is an interesting choice. Rika's realization that this is a women's prison was the major laugh moment, with the flower-in-the-journal bit in a close second. Now to see what they find falling down the rabbit hole...