Reviews for Empathy
lady-ribbon chapter 1 . 9/4/2014
Absolutely brilliant, in character, witty, charming and wonderfully tip-toed-romantic little gem of a story. A flawless addition to the overall tale, and a wonderful look at a moment between these two (and all the wonder and bafflement they cause those around them).

The rapid-fire dialogue and banter was completely perfect and never once let loose of the reader's interest. Just perfect.
T. Alana M chapter 1 . 7/6/2014
This is such an accurate, wonderful portrayal of the both of them.
may96 chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
hahaha, oh gee...
Phantasm1313 chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
You are an amazing writer! And I love how these two interact...all the wonderful bickering!
Kasanra chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
Oh THANK YOU for writing this! There's not enough Glass Mask fanfiction out there.
Laetans chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
This is absolutely epic. I don't even know what else to say.
Towards the sun chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
Gaahh, thank you so much for the reading!
DragonFire Princess chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
Love the story, Hope you'll update the story. ASAP!
Nadirha chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
I cannot tell you how glad I am to find a fic about Maya and Masumi that is both well written and quite long !

I really enjoy your characterization, it's very interesting to see the supposedly cool and unflappable Masumi from the inside. His interactions with Maya are great, the comparison with the schoolyard bully annoying the girl he likes is totally accurate.

There are many lines I loved, but I'll just quote a passage that concentrates what I enjoyed the most : your ability to show situations that are totally hilarious and moving at the same time.

"How about we talk about why you're such a jerk?" she said, her artificially sweet tone matched by an equally unnatural grin.

"That's a popular subject," Masumi said, his congenial expression genuine. "Well, there's the fact that I was raised by a father who was emotionally nonexistent, or the fact that I make a living by using people as merchandise. Take your pick."

"I think you're just a jerk by nature. Even if Daito didn't exist, you'd still find some reason to come and irritate me."

"So no matter the circumstances, you think we were fated to meet? That's touching, shorty."
DreamsRMyLife chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
Wow, I'm impressed. A fanfic for Glass Mask that is well written! I looked at other Masumi/Maya pairings and they were in need of enough editing for me to close the tab before I even finished the story.
ophelietta chapter 1 . 4/17/2010
Here it is, review number two!

Again, I revel in these fun trips into Masumi’s POV, so hilarious and insightful. In the manga, he just sorta swoops in all suave and casual, so it’s fantastic to see the thousand small decisions, turnings away, returning, and all that emotional juggling that goes on in his head whenever he’s talking to her. I adore all the Wily Coyote scheming and Maya’s own (willful?) obliviousness and (has to be deliberate) misunderstanding, the extreme balancing act that has to take place for their “not-date”.

It was utterly fascinating to see how their dynamic looks from the POV of outsiders, especially ones who are used to the “serious” Masumi, the person he is when he’s not with Maya, just so we (and Maya!) can see that huge contrast. I find it very difficult to remember, in the manga, that he is “cold and heartless” because I’m thinking, Aw, he’s just a puppy inside. The restaurant scene did more to solidify this for me, I think, than the canon: the difference between Masumi with Maya and Masumi with everyone else (maybe it’s just my fault for being more interested in the former scenes in the manga, than the latter!). And moreover, how Maya LIKES the first one better than the second. I thought this paragraph was just utterly, perfectly descriptive:

“An observant outsider would've noticed that Maya and Masumi seemed to have established a routine: they would chat for a few minutes at the beginning of every course, often at Masumi's initiative, only to mutually ignore each other at the end of it. They seemed unused towards being so long in the presence of the other; they'd adapted the length of their conversations to last for five minutes on average. At the end of those five minutes, Maya was either too confused or angry to wish to continue speaking, while Masumi would consider his work done and leave it up to someone else to entertain her.”

I loved the “Don’t look at hers” as well. Their dynamic is really just that – so dynamic – moving and shifting very quickly, filtered through all their insights and misconceptions and experiences of each other, and highlighted with these mini emotional lightning bolts, like the accidental eye contact.

The school yard bully tactics seem so, so in keeping with Masumi’s character, since the man’s emotionally stunted after all, never having really been a child. It makes sense, I think, that he’d fall in love with someone – not necessarily younger, but - someone like Maya, who never “forgot” that secret that kids have that makes them kids in the first place, the one that most kids “down they forgot as up they grew”. And oh my god, that poor driver. He deserves a raise, STAT. Or perhaps just intense therapy.

I don’t think I can post all my favourite lines because I’d end up quoting pages! Their dialogue is just that incredible. :D Thank you for the laughs!
159 chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
so what are your projects concerning this manga; I would truly like to read another piece where maya and masumi are more in character.
glimerofhope chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
very well written , thank you!
arthemia chapter 1 . 9/20/2009
Wow, so good! I like how you portray the details of the characters' psychological state as they interact and converse. Very rare in all English Garasu no Kamen fanfics I read so far.

Thanks for sharing the story and please write more :)
prettyinpinkgal chapter 1 . 9/20/2009
Even better than your last story. Well done! You had me laughing at several parts. It was extremely enjoyable.