Reviews for Wisdom To Know The Difference
ladygem chapter 1 . 9/19/2012
I think this was the first daydverse one-shot I ever read, and it's still one of my favorites. The characterization on both sides is perfect and I can't pass up a good McGonnagal fic.
Maran Zelde chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
This one-shot does explain why no one gave Neville and Ernie water and food when they were chained to the wall. I don’t know why Snape didn’t announce that there was a shield charm around the boys, but whatever (I do think Snape should have “accidentally” forgotten to place the shield charm). I love that Ginny had to take Seamus’s wand to keep him from doing anything that could have gotten him in trouble, too.

McGonagall does a fairly good job explaining why she and the other real professors didn’t do more to help. In that situation, not helping was still far better than actively hurting. It doesn’t make it any less frustrating, though.
amazingtofu chapter 1 . 12/29/2011
Seamus. I love how Ginny takes his wand. Because he would've done something destructive.

McGonagall is one of those teachers who understands exactly what students need. They don't need a best friend, they don't need cruelty. Students always respect teachers that are fair, have backbone, and are honest with them. McGonagall is all of those things based on principle. Which is good for Gryffindor.

And I think it's good that Seamus got detention. Because above all, McGonagall is a teacher and even if the school is screwed up, there has to be some sort of normalcy.
sammyfish chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Very powerful. Well done :)
StEpPiNg StOnEs chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
Whoa. This was just...this was amazing. I think you portrayed both characters beautifully. I love how outraged and passionate Seamus was and how unaffected he was by McGonagall's tone. I love her memories-how they are all faces. You also did a wonderful job with description-I could see it all. I could see Neville and Ernie; I could see the office; I could see her scars on her arms; I could picture Seamus through her eyes.

Just beautiful :)

However, there was one point I was confused about-when Seamus wrote Justin's name in the room. I don't understand the significance of that or even why Snape would be bothered by that.
DerangedxandxSarcastic chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Beautiful, I mean horrible and tragic but there are so many wonderful wonderful perspectives to live through in this story that (I mean the whole DAYDverse of course) and I love them all so so much.
Danwea chapter 1 . 9/1/2009
This is brilliant. I love how its showing the darkness in Seamus that later over comes him in Slaugh.

Beautifully written as always!
Bergere chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
I was deply touched! Really!
LisaT chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
This is gorgeous. I've always regretted the relative lack of Minerva in the original DA-story, and it's really nice to see you starting to pad that out.

Britpicks- the word 'ma'am' is rarely used at ANY time in the UK/Ireland, and certainly not in a school environment. Seamus might forget himself and say 'Miss' as an alternative title to 'Professor', but he's unlikely to use 'ma'am'.

Similarly, it would be 'Miss Weasley' and never, EVER 'Ms Weasley'. Perhaps a younger professor might use it, but even then it's unlikely, and it's not a form of address that is ever used to or about a student in the books. 'Miss' is still the standard title for a single woman in the UK, regardless of age.

Finally - Seamus is, if I remember rightly, supposed to be from , not the Republic. Be careful of turning his speech into a 'stage Irishman'. Apart from his use of 'Mam' I don't remember many Norn Irishisms/Irishisms coming from him in the books - although I can really see him saying 'feckin'!

Hoping for more Minerva-centric scenes... Maybe you should do a paralell DA story told from the staff's perspective. I honestly thing YoD is the 'untold story' of Hogwarts from the students' pov, but I'd love to see one for the staff.
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Self control is one of the most vital skills a warrior must master. Keep writing
kimpossible06 chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Now there's a new challenge for you! The McGonnigal Chronicles!
sleepy queens chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Really good.
Kiss-This2010 chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
this was amazing. one of the best canon minerva i've seen in a long time. i loved every bit of this story and i expect to see more from you! it was truely wonderful!
EasyButton chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Mcgonigal is very strong, much stronger than most give her credit for. On my part, I'm curious to know more about her past, and her war.
faeriegal713 chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
I would have you know that I was not originally going to read these tonight, but when I saw Seamus and McGonagall as the two main characters, my curiosity got the better of me. You see, two of my favorite characters thrown together during DAYD was too much to resist. To say that I am incredibly blessed by the timing as I had just finished reviewing Ch 3 of DAYD earlier today would be an understatement. Not only do we get the chance to see into the mind of one of the few adults in the school who seems to know what's going happening on all different levels in the school, but we also get to see how she will handle a very upset student.

First, the opening paragraph sets the stage for your readers to see that this is going to be so much more than just another conversation. We are truly going to see into the heart of the goings on at Hogwarts. We are going to see the backbone of the school through Minerva McGonagall. She is so much more than a teacher - she is a living, breathing testament to the fact that war is not only something you can survive, it is something you can overcome. Though not without scars, both those you can see on the body, the heart, and most importantly those you can't see on the mind and memory. BTW, I would suggest to any readers to listen to In Noctem from the Half-Blood Prince soundtrack while reading this. It really does help in setting the mood.

Than, you ought to know by now that you will not find a review from me that does not wax on about the details you include, but damn, you surpassed yourself here. The mixture of history and the wizarding world and all the horrors of both into one person's memory is amazing. She doesn't even have to say what she had seen in each face, because every other detail is there and the readers are able to conjure their own impression: Disgust and outrage, fear and courage, thirst for power and domination, determination and a savage joy at still beign alive, innocence and trust, finally, pain and innocence lost.

"It would have been seen as weakness by the monstrous creatures masquerading as her fellow teachers, and no matter how good her reasons, they would have been right." If you keep writing like this, Than, I may have to start sending you a tenth of my bills just from my chocolate shopping trips.

I find it interesting that even as she is writing a note to her best friend of years, that she must distance herself from Neville by calling him Longbottom. Adding a first name that she associated with a toddler or eight year old to the bloodied form of a young man in the hall would probably be bringing everything that has been going on at the school too close to home for her. With the note itself-how in the world DO you juxtapose so many meanings together? I do not envy McGonagall her task or position right now.

"face so red it was almost purple, chest heaving, hands clenched into fists at his sides, eyes burning rage through a sharp glitter of tears." When you say that Seamus wears his emotions like he does his clothing, you were not exaggerating.

"A silent count of ten, equally allowing him the chance to apologize for his outburst or be taken off-balance by her lack of response," I'm assuming she already knew the former would not occur, and so took advantage of the latter. It is interesting how even having someone else count to ten for you can help a wee bit.

"You…you let…and you left...and -aagh!" Isn't it amazing how much can be conveyed through words that aren't even said?

"the agonized demand still cut more deeply than she had expected. Part of her wanted to shout back, to argue every bit as fiercely, but she knew how vital it was that she keep her authority over these young people who were already beginning to rebel against everything else." I had never thought about how important it was for those in the DA to still have some adults that they could trust in some way there with them. They may not have been actively involved with what the DA was doing and planning, but they were working just as hard to make things easier for them and the cause against Snape and Voldemort. They could protect in ways that the students didn't always see and still provided the authority figures and that children (even young adults and soldiers) need.

“I would’ve, but Ginny took me wand. Picked me damned pocket, she did!” Even amidst the pain, I was still able to smile a bit at that. The indignation Seamus felt showed clearly, lightening the moment enough to give them both a small, needed break.

"biting his lip, and she noticed for the first time that it seemed to bear a small, fresh semi-circle of a scar," what a perfect way to remind us that Neville's wasn't the first blood to be spilled to the Carrows and Snape's new regime. Actually, now that I think about it, there's quite a bit of symbolism in having it be Seamus' blood be the first to spill. I will have to think further on that.

“But we can’t just do nothin’! It ain’t right, Professor!” Two things: first he's calling her Professor again, meaning he does still respect her and has given her back the authority he tried to take away just minutes ago, second is that the thing that's hurting him the most is that the world is unfair. He and Neville are both highly idealistic, but I would say that where Neville has some shielding between the world and his heart, Seamus has none. I don't think he would even think of such a thing.

"But there is a Shield Charm around them which prevents me from so much as providing them water or numbing the pain of their wounds," I can almost feel her pain and exasperation at being so helpless here.

“I have received written material from you weekly for six years,” she interrupted matter-of-factly. “I am aware of your allergy to hyphens, as well as exactly what a capital F looks like in your best block hand. May I suggest in the future avoiding your own initials?” And here we have the smallest bit of humor, (thank you for that, btw) and also a bit of a turning point in the relationship between Seamus and his Head of House and Professor. With that admission she has demonstrated that she is able to do some small things to assist in their rebellion and provide some protection. And most importantly, he understands. Everything from here on is not so much against her anymore, but him feeling so helpless. As he had already told Neville, the helpless bit is the worst for him.

“Then when they are brought down, we must show them otherwise.” I don't know whether it shows how desperate the situation is, or how strong she is, but there's hope and encouragement in that statement. Minerva McGonagall has seen many horrible things in her life, but that also means she knows what can be done to lessen their impact.

"of magic unnoticed in sheer panic and how the world could go so mad that a stranger had to throw water on you because you hadn’t noticed that the searing heat had crossed to actually set you on fire." Um, wow. I have no other words to say to that right now.

"who would remember what real war was? Not these children, not if she could help it." Oh how I wish that could be true. I so wish that through sheer force of will she would be able to protect them.

“The…this…this burnin’? This feelin’ that if you don’t do, you’ll eat yourself from the insides?” In light of her thoughts from moments ago, I see this is not some sort of understatement. I wonder what that sort of grief and pain and sorrow would look like in the form of an Air or Water elemental? I'm assuming McGonagall would be much like Seamus in that her "primary" element would be Fire. We now know what that can do to a person, and we've seen the grief of an Earth elemental. Would Water be something more to do with the weather? Making it rain/snow? And Air would be in the form of terrifying winds? Ah, but I'm getting far off topic here.

“It is mine to use, not theirs to turn against me.” I wonder how much things would have changed for Seamus had he had someone like Professor McGonagall to help him after 2nd May. She is strong enough to be able to easily help him learn to control his knee-jerk reactions.

“Myself, I intend to hold him to eighty, and I believe that list is likely to get longer.” How true that is. I wonder if she had ever realized just how much self control she was going to have to demonstrate throughout the entire year?

"the first sign that an observant student would take to mean that she had come to the end of the conversation, and one which she assumed correctly that he would miss entirely." At least she knows her students well, right? Also, I once again have to give you credit for finding a way to lighten the mood, even the teensiest bit, before releasing a person back to the real world.

“You mean as the year goes on and we’ve got to match our wits ‘gainst that bastard?” He's not one to parse words, is he?

“You may be surprised how a mere refusal to be driven away can, in fact, be doing a great deal.” Therein lies the strength of all resistance movements, where the few have to work against those in power and those who just don't want to fight. I think young Mr. Finnigan understood that statement far better than either he or McGonagall realized, and it wasn't until much later that it was made evident. It also gives him a purpose when all is seemingly hopeless and he's in one of those helpless spots. Not backing down or giving up, that is still doing something.

Thank you for sharing this moment between these two characters. I know I probably go on far too much about everything, but you give us so much to think about!

I hope you have a great day and I will continue to read and review and enjoy this world you've shared with us. :-)

Have a wonderful day/night!

faeriegal/Amber