Reviews for Nature Studies
Madjedjjlill chapter 13 . 2/1
Love this story. I would love a whole new series based on it.
The Timmynator chapter 2 . 9/30/2014
The snake is named Monty. Why am I not surprised?
Fire Tempest chapter 13 . 5/31/2013
I have loved this story, not withstanding the fact that you kept calling baboons apes. They are definately monkeys!
GuesssWho chapter 7 . 10/11/2012
Actually, hippos are nasty fuckers. Faster than you'd think, too. I wouldn't leave them hanging around a park.
Page-Mistress chapter 7 . 7/27/2012
What, no little note that says "I hope that at least some of the Americans know what show from the 70s I'm referencing"?

I'm happy to say I started getting it the second you used padre!
Runt Thunderbelch chapter 3 . 10/30/2011
Looking forward to pending chaos, mayhem, and carnivorous activities.

Oopsie: It's the Oblong Office, not the Oval Office.
Runt Thunderbelch chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Hey AA, I've wandered over to "Nature Studies." A big thumbs up so far. Like the idea of a school teacher who carries a whip. This idea should catch on bigtime! And of course a Nac Mac Feagle is going to hed bump a bunch of baby cobras. I shudda seen it coming.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 13 . 9/3/2010
Not entirely bloodless. Some factions may (evidence is a bit thin on the ground) have been supported by the outgoing government to make trouble. Violent trouble. Kwa zululand tried to go independent. But bloodless as government changes go.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 5 . 9/2/2010
Note as of the previous chapter. Cheetahs CAN climb trees, but NOT easily (non retractable claws give little grip) and are usually cubs when doing so. A cheetah will normally rely on speed to get away, though might climb trees if no further escape route could be established.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 4 . 5/8/2010
Hmm, as a brit who lives (part of the year) in south afica and has read up on wildlife, some of the information on the animals is seriously wrong. 1) You wouldn't see the leopards, especially from 300ft. According to the radio tag thing on a game drive i went on, we got within 20-50ft of a leopard and didn't see it. 2) even the most ambitious leopard would not try to take out a healthy giraffe, only the occasional specialist pride of lions takes on a giraffe. 3) Unless it was severely spooked or in a corner, a cheetah would hesitate to go for an adult human, as exceptionally large cheetahs reach waist height on me, a 5' 7" teenager, though I concede an unusually aggressive (induced by unfamiliar surroundings maybe?) might attack the source of tranks (tranquilisers) if it realised. Also, excepting mothers and cubs, (this goes for the leopards as well) and coalitions of males (cubs from the same litter who band together to bring down larger prey and be more successful. It only happens with males) they are solitary.

I'm not impugning your writing, its just your zoological knowledge has a few gaps.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 3 . 5/8/2010
Rhinos rarely weigh more than 3-5 tons much less ten. Elephants weigh 6 tons max, so rhinos aren't likely to be heavier are they?
Rainstorm Amaya Arianrhod chapter 13 . 11/12/2009
This? Brilliance.

Actually, all your fic that I've read is pretty brilliant (I haven't got round to reviewing and favouriting it all yet- boarding school is A Pain) but this is probably my favourite. The idea of Dibbler trying to create Longleat in Ankh-Morpork was very funny - of course he wouldn't see disaster coming - and Vetinari is absolutely spot-on characterised in this. Johanna is great, and I'm somewhat awed by the fact that you managed to write and sustain a South African accent throughout the entire fic and several other fics as well. I really like the Johanna/Ponder interaction (bless him, he is so awkward.) The OCs are great, and the canon characters are all spot on for characterisation- I couldn't nitpick there if I tried. I liked the idea of aerial surveillance on a broomstick to find all the animals!

One thing- I think you may have an overenthusiastic spellchecker, which corrected menage to menage with an accent on the e I can't reproduce here. It was somewhere in Chapter 11, I think. Also, in some places you've put Adorah Belle Dearheart, as opposed to Adora.

I'm sorry for writing an essay of a review. Basically, I thought it was great.

~May
fledge chapter 13 . 10/30/2009
Actually, this is a completely new story, more than anything else. And while educating Johanna is certainly a virtuous project, it may lead you rather far off any real plot. The use of virtual reality for the education of young assassins is, of course, a verysensible thing. Another example of things changing very fast.

What you should DEFINITELY pick up, though is the idea of the revolutionary changes in the Fools' Guild: Lion-taming, most certainly, but why not expand it to those girls (mostly Chinese in Roundworld) that can twist themselves into pretty much any shape imaginable? Might give Dr Whiteface a heartattack, to be sure, but he deserves it. How, generally, about brightening up the sad life of those clowns?
fledge chapter 11 . 10/30/2009
Once again, Roundworld seems to be far behind the Disc - after all, the magical qualities of tiger parts or rhino horns are still believed in here.

And Johanna is simply a genius - her diplomatic talents are unbelievable.
fledge chapter 9 . 10/30/2009
Ah, Johanna's lion-taming act! I guess it was just necessary to put that in. AND I'm sure she's look very INTERESTING in a leotard and/or sparly tights...
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »