Reviews for Nature Studies
marmota-b chapter 12 . 10/25/2015
It's good ending here. So now I'm wondering where it continues...
I take it Johanna, what with being a very minor canon character, does not have her own character slot here on this site? If she did, I think this might benefit from some retroactive character-categorising.
marmota-b chapter 8 . 10/25/2015
I was wondering what kind of comeuppance would befall the parkie. I did not expect a gorilla...
(While this staple is unknown in the Czech lands, there is a quietly dangerous Finnish-Swedish relative in a book by Tove Jansson.)
It occurs to me that the great relish to be derived from this Pratchettian sort of entertainment hinges on the fact that so very, very often, reality trumps fiction in its... fictionability. One only has to look at it just so.
marmota-b chapter 7 . 10/25/2015
Ha! MASH 4077! That was thoroughly enjoyable. :D
So are the scenes of the Librarian conferring with the other apes. My point of referrence are the gorillas in the Prague Zoo, including Richard, the male, who's a reality TV star (and won five or how many melons. The best part is, I'm really not making this up.)
marmota-b chapter 6 . 10/25/2015
Ain't that the truth about baby chimps!
Heh to the Librarian and red-haired people.
marmota-b chapter 5 . 10/25/2015
"Spit a lot" I see what you did there...
The phenomenon of the apos'trophe reminds me of the phenomenon of the quotation marks. Used by businesses with lesser print smarts as a means of accentuating words and phrases, invariably those you *really* do not want questioned...
Madjedjjlill chapter 13 . 2/1/2015
Love this story. I would love a whole new series based on it.
The Timmynator chapter 2 . 9/30/2014
The snake is named Monty. Why am I not surprised?
Fire Tempest chapter 13 . 5/31/2013
I have loved this story, not withstanding the fact that you kept calling baboons apes. They are definately monkeys!
GuesssWho chapter 7 . 10/11/2012
Actually, hippos are nasty fuckers. Faster than you'd think, too. I wouldn't leave them hanging around a park.
Page-Mistress chapter 7 . 7/27/2012
What, no little note that says "I hope that at least some of the Americans know what show from the 70s I'm referencing"?

I'm happy to say I started getting it the second you used padre!
Runt Thunderbelch chapter 3 . 10/30/2011
Looking forward to pending chaos, mayhem, and carnivorous activities.

Oopsie: It's the Oblong Office, not the Oval Office.
Runt Thunderbelch chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Hey AA, I've wandered over to "Nature Studies." A big thumbs up so far. Like the idea of a school teacher who carries a whip. This idea should catch on bigtime! And of course a Nac Mac Feagle is going to hed bump a bunch of baby cobras. I shudda seen it coming.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 13 . 9/3/2010
Not entirely bloodless. Some factions may (evidence is a bit thin on the ground) have been supported by the outgoing government to make trouble. Violent trouble. Kwa zululand tried to go independent. But bloodless as government changes go.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 5 . 9/2/2010
Note as of the previous chapter. Cheetahs CAN climb trees, but NOT easily (non retractable claws give little grip) and are usually cubs when doing so. A cheetah will normally rely on speed to get away, though might climb trees if no further escape route could be established.
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 4 . 5/8/2010
Hmm, as a brit who lives (part of the year) in south afica and has read up on wildlife, some of the information on the animals is seriously wrong. 1) You wouldn't see the leopards, especially from 300ft. According to the radio tag thing on a game drive i went on, we got within 20-50ft of a leopard and didn't see it. 2) even the most ambitious leopard would not try to take out a healthy giraffe, only the occasional specialist pride of lions takes on a giraffe. 3) Unless it was severely spooked or in a corner, a cheetah would hesitate to go for an adult human, as exceptionally large cheetahs reach waist height on me, a 5' 7" teenager, though I concede an unusually aggressive (induced by unfamiliar surroundings maybe?) might attack the source of tranks (tranquilisers) if it realised. Also, excepting mothers and cubs, (this goes for the leopards as well) and coalitions of males (cubs from the same litter who band together to bring down larger prey and be more successful. It only happens with males) they are solitary.

I'm not impugning your writing, its just your zoological knowledge has a few gaps.
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »